Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Big difference between late February and mid March.

But yes Boston can get 1-3 while NYC gets 4-6

We don’t have an established cold air source which is always a problem but as the calendar gets later becomes more of a problem. Sat AM’s event will likely fail for us for that reason and this next one may too if it doesn’t bomb out and bring cold air in somehow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winterweatherlover said:

A track like that at that strength should produce for everyone in mid March, just not enough cold air I guess. Still could see it trending a little colder if it's really as strong as the Euro.  

there's not enough cold air because it is mid March....but enough for 4 - 6 inches here and back end snow which is a lot better than front end snow.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We don’t have an established cold air source which is always a problem but as the calendar gets later becomes more of a problem. Sat AM’s event will likely fail for us for that reason and this next one may too if it doesn’t bomb out and bring cold air in somehow. 

Yes, we've played this game before lol

Would be way different a month or more ago

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Does this remind you of March 2001 in some ways?

I was curious how the models would handle that storm if it were to happen now.

13 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Yea it's rare but it can happen. I'll never forget that Feb '10 storm (I think?) where NYC was being dumped on and Boston was raining in the 50s. That track was so insane that the rain/snow line was north/south oriented so even places north but just east of NYC saw mixing or even rain (I was living in Armonk which is northeast of NYC and I remember that for a time it was mixing while NYC was snowing). 

2/25/10 was the “snowicane” widespread 30-40” up here. What many forget was that there was a 6-10” event a few days prior. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Does this remind you of March 2001 in some ways?

I was curious how the models would handle that storm if it were to happen now.

Mar 2001 just developed too late for most of us. It did just fine east of the William Floyd and would’ve up to NYC had it bombed just 75 miles further SW. That’s why miller B events are always nail biters for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This is a rare case where NYC can do better than SNE if the storm takes the right track...it would be fitting in this winter to see something odd like that happen

I like how the ensembles hook the low before heading North. Once the storm passes our longitude we can change to snow quicker. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

Mar 2001 just developed too late for most of us. It did just fine east of the William Floyd and would’ve up to NYC had it bombed just 75 miles further SW. That’s why miller B events are always nail biters for us. 

You know that's why I don't like them lol

A foot of snow in Patchogue and 4-5 inches for us.

I guess April 1996 was like that too? We got 4-5 inches here and NYC got less than an inch.  The Hamptons got a foot of snow and blizzard conditions all night!

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

This one won't really have an issue at all if it tracks where the Euro/ICON for example have it going...we have a decent cold source to pull down.  I think this system is gonna bomb, its just a question if it just goes way too far west but I do not expect lack of dynamics to be a likely issue with this one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Needs to bomb out sooner but also not hug the coast too much but the CMC/Euro trending east and GFS trending west is a good sign, maybe moving toward a middle ground consensus?  

Yeah that's my hope a GFS EURO blend is our bullseye.

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Needs to bomb out sooner but also not hug the coast too much but the CMC/Euro trending east and GFS trending west is a good sign, maybe moving toward a middle ground consensus?  

Hopefully, but I feel like this is the norm in late season Miller B's

Remember the Fools Day noreaster lol?

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I think it could work out for you where you get a foot of snow and down here and new york city it's like 1-2 inches lol

If it's too far east CT would do better than NYC, if it's too far west CT wouldn't do better than NYC. Although you could make a case everyone could do better than NYC due to the UHI effect.