Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

lol...got hit by a big one this morning 5 minutes after I put the feeders out. Oh well.

In lieu of installing I just leave the doors and windows open during the day when home.  Hopefully I don't get an uninvited visitor dropping in, but it's not out of the question.

7 minutes ago, radarman said:

In lieu of installing I just leave the doors and windows open during the day when home.  Hopefully I don't get an uninvited visitor dropping in, but it's not out of the question.

Been several of those lately.

Avon, CT had a bear come into a garage of a bakery and steal like 60 cupcakes on video.

Columbia County, NY (just over the Mass/CT border) had a bear enter a house, walk to the kitchen and then a dog and human scared it off. Thing looked like it had to get up the courage to enter the home, pondered it for a while, then sheepishly went in.  Ran terrified out at first sight of the dog.

Just big raccoons.

4AE5B314-0D2B-480B-8D3D-6710586EEB71.jpeg.a858d313974d82d6c7b869df7b0fc521.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I saw. Friend of ours was telling us as she is affected. Assholes. Nothing like putting pressure on a system already overwhelmed.

No kidding. My wife and I both have primary care doctors there, so we have no idea what’s happening now.

Good luck finding an appointment with a new doctor now too, there were already waitlists.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No kidding. My wife and I both have primary care doctors there, so we have no idea what’s happening now.

Good luck finding an appointment with a new doctor now too, there were already waitlists.

Get your medical records ASAP. Either online or physically going to the office if you can.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Been several of those lately.

Avon, CT had a bear come into a garage of a bakery and steal like 60 cupcakes on video.

Columbia County, NY (just over the Mass/CT border) had a bear enter a house, walk to the kitchen and then a dog and human scared it off. Thing looked like it had to get up the courage to enter the home, pondered it for a while, then sheepishly went in.  Ran terrified out at first sight of the dog.

Just big raccoons.

4AE5B314-0D2B-480B-8D3D-6710586EEB71.jpeg.a858d313974d82d6c7b869df7b0fc521.jpeg

I read a story the other day about a bear that somehow got into someone's car parked at their house and the bear got locked in. They ended up tying a rope to the handle and were about 50 feet away and yanked the door open, the bear ran into the wood but had beat the living crap out of the car trying to get out. Those Nevada bears must be clever, he got in the car with the doors closed and somehow manages to close the door while in the car. Looked like a brown bear running away.

California deputies use rope to free bear trapped inside car, reveal preventative measures: video | Fox News

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Anyone else with Solar have their best month of production in May? I had the highest production month In the 8 years I have had my panels. My little 5.4 kw system produced 1.05 MwH. 

Screenshot_20230601_152648_mySolarEdge.thumb.jpg.9e67e258cc51086a671b305fab4964b2.jpg

I wish Sunpower didn't mess up my historical data when they launched their new app 2 years ago.  I was thinking this same thing though.  My system is 16.32 kW, 11 years old and produced 2,320 kWh last month.  I have a few screenshots of old data and the highest I see was 2132.  Maybe other months came close that I lost data for, but this has been great.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My kid and I helped this guy/gal across a busy road today.  I  was on my way back from the transfer station so luckily had the recycling bin.  I generally also have a shovel in the back.

F16B1983-E284-482D-A2C1-061C23EFA8B0.thumb.jpeg.820e70a1f21f7d217faa128a29884c69.jpeg

Back about 10 years ago my two labs were outside barking and wouldn't stop, I went out and found them barking at a turtle about that size in my driveway, I'm a mile away from the nearest pond so have no idea what it was doing in my yard. I tossed into the back of my truck and dropped it off at the pond, a mile away.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My kid and I helped this guy/gal across a busy road today.  I  was on my way back from the transfer station so luckily had the recycling bin.  I generally also have a shovel in the back.

F16B1983-E284-482D-A2C1-061C23EFA8B0.thumb.jpeg.820e70a1f21f7d217faa128a29884c69.jpeg

That's an old turtle.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Undoubtedly a lady looking for a sunny spot with easy digging to lay her eggs - looks like 20-25 lb critter.   The biggest one I caught back in the early 60s weighed 45 lb and would've barely have fit in that tote.  I certainly would not wish to get one like either the above or my biggie chomping on my finger, but unless the jaws were right on a joint, I doubt the turtle could've bitten off the finger.  Might've mangled it such that the surgeon had to finish the job.  I've seen a big snapper put some respectable dents in a broomstick but it didn't break the stick.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Undoubtedly a lady looking for a sunny spot with easy digging to lay her eggs - looks like 20-25 lb critter.   The biggest one I caught back in the early 60s weighed 45 lb and would've barely have fit in that tote.  I certainly would not wish to get one like either the above or my biggie chomping on my finger, but unless the jaws were right on a joint, I doubt the turtle could've bitten off the finger.  Might've mangled it such that the surgeon had to finish the job.  I've seen a big snapper put some respectable dents in a broomstick but it didn't break the stick.

When my father was a kid, they used to catch them and there was a guy in town where you dropped the turtle off in a box and come back the next day and he had it cut up for turtle soup, he said it was a treat back when he was a kid, course he grew up during the depression, so they probably didn't have much.

17 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

When my father was a kid, they used to catch them and there was a guy in town where you dropped the turtle off in a box and come back the next day and he had it cut up for turtle soup, he said it was a treat back when he was a kid, course he grew up during the depression, so they probably didn't have much.

I gave away or sold once all but one of the dozen or so snappers I caught in 1960-61.  The exception was a 37-pounder, weighed by my stepping on the scale with and without the critter.  Chopped off its head and waited an hour, and there was still enough nerve action to have a claw scrape my hand.  Got the still-beating heart out at hour 2 and it continued to beat for another 2 hours.  I'd read in a sporting mag that cleaning a turtle was no more difficult cleaning a chicken, perhaps because the basic process is similar.  So is chopping down a 3-inch tree and a 3-foot tree.  :lol:
Never figured out how to properly cook the meat - today it would be in the crockpot (or pressure cooker if I had one).  That meat was TOUGH!   Even the white meat tenderloin along the spine between ribs and shell.

Here's something I've noticed looking at western mountain web cams... this is Utah's Guardsman Pass that actually opened today.  But that's not what stands out to me.

In many of these western mountain areas still melting out from last winter, there are a lot of trees leafing out and greening up despite significant snowpack.

In this cam view there are some trees greening up on the left side but they seem to be in barely snow-free zones around their roots.  But the ones on the right side are in like 2 feet of super-dense remaining June snowpack.

The vegetation is wild out west... just greens up and leaf's out regardless of snow on the ground.

IMG_4617.jpg.bde1d1bba72b81953c350e547aa997d5.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/9/2023 at 9:33 PM, powderfreak said:

Here's something I've noticed looking at western mountain web cams... this is Utah's Guardsman Pass that actually opened today.  But that's not what stands out to me.

In many of these western mountain areas still melting out from last winter, there are a lot of trees leafing out and greening up despite significant snowpack.

In this cam view there are some trees greening up on the left side but they seem to be in barely snow-free zones around their roots.  But the ones on the right side are in like 2 feet of super-dense remaining June snowpack.

The vegetation is wild out west... just greens up and leaf's out regardless of snow on the ground.

IMG_4617.jpg.bde1d1bba72b81953c350e547aa997d5.jpg

This happens on Superstar every year.  The snow does not affect the leaf out. 

• Like 1