Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

29 minutes ago, radarman said:

This fella just wandered out onto the lawn.  I saw my wife go running and thought maybe her phone was ringing.

Big guy

20230529_172637_resize_24.jpg.a55f57ea307a77ad1176ef19f5867285.jpg

20230529_172648_resize_31.jpg.8965102f7979752c35907cbf7e07567c.jpg

The old bird feeder gets ‘em every time.

We can’t have bird feeders to my wife’s disappointment. People in this town gang up on you pretty quickly if they see a bird feeder lol. Public shaming for trying to entice bears.

Fish and Game Wardens will chat with you too about it; one guy told us the bears can smell a single sunflower seed dipped in black oil from a mile away in a bird feeder.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The old bird feeder gets ‘em every time.

We can’t have bird feeders to my wife’s disappointment. People in this town gang up on you pretty quickly if they see a bird feeder lol. Public shaming for trying to entice bears.

Fish and Game Wardens will chat with you too about it; one guy told us the bears can smell a single sunflower seed dipped in black oil from a mile away in a bird feeder.

That’s crazy.

14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That’s crazy.

Saying I heard years ago:  An Indian shot an arrow into the air.  The eagle saw it fall, the deer heard it fall, the bear smelled it fall.

Our feeder is on a line and pulleys, like a clothesline, and it's about 12' off the ground and the same distance from house and tree.  A persistent gray squirrel has walked the "tightrope" to the feeder a couple times, but I doubt a bear could do that.  :lol:
Considering than Maine may have the highest bear population in the lower 48 (WA/WI also have a lot), the state has surprisingly few bear-people confrontations.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, radarman said:

This fella just wandered out onto the lawn.  I saw my wife go running and thought maybe her phone was ringing.

Big guy

20230529_172637_resize_24.jpg.a55f57ea307a77ad1176ef19f5867285.jpg

20230529_172648_resize_31.jpg.8965102f7979752c35907cbf7e07567c.jpg

A friend of mine works for a DCR and she said the population is around 4800 black bears.  Obviously most of those are in the western part of the state.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Can sell that . Dry NW flow in June is 75-80

I wouldn’t take an operational run too literally this far out, but the peak of Mt. Tolland would probably max out in the 65-70F range with that setup. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, your analysis usually make it easy.  Just love your knee jerk reactions to any blue colors on any map. Your temp estimates were probably not far off for that look.

People see pretty blue and purples in summer and think it means cold and wet . While not hot obviously.. that look in June is dry and warm sunny days not far from 80 . Let’s get that in Nov/ Dec when it matters 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

People see pretty blue and purples in summer and think it means cold and wet . While not hot obviously.. that look in June is dry and warm sunny days not far from 80 . Let’s get that in Nov/ Dec when it matters 

Enjoy the self destructive sunshine.

16 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Boston is +2.1

ORH is +1.3*.   Prob close to normal or maybe a tiny bit below if you factor in the gauge.   Maybe -1?

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hartford area is -0.8F.    Tooooorrrchhh!

lol I love Kev and you know he’s just rollin’ with whatever comes to mind… but it always gets a chuckle when the data comes in with the exact opposite of whatever statement was just made.

Boston is warmest of them all :lol:.