• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-4 Potential Winter Storm

Hoosier

My issue with the ECMWF/EPS/NAM is their tendency to overamplify, I mean I would be shocked if this thing bottomed out at like 975, impossible no, unlikely yes in my opinion. So that strength change will dictate a lot of changes downstream. Not to mention that the ECMWF/EPS had moved south and east for like 5 runs in a row. Its solution is shaky as well.
It's less than 2 days out though. The Euro was too amped 4-5 days out from the pre Christmas storm but at this range it was fine. A solid majority of the EPS members support the op. Also, different setup, but it absolutely knocked the ice storm forecast out of the park.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

It's less than 2 days out though. The Euro was too amped 4-5 days out from the pre Christmas storm but at this range it was fine. A solid majority of the EPS members support the op. Also, different setup, but it absolutely knocked the ice storm forecast out of the park.

See out this way the GFS was the best for the ice storm, and has been the better model as of late, it locked in 4 days in advance and didnt move.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

See out this way the GFS was the best for the ice storm, and has been the better model as of late, it locked in 4 days in advance and didnt move.

Gotta agree with this. Recall the crazy amounts of snow the euro held into up around msp as well? 

Great thing about these forums and recent events is it doesn't take long to see how the models etc performed which I am about to do as I know I have forgotten things even recent. 

One thing I do know is the offices here etc had the heaviest ice too far north. 

• Like 2

Gotta agree with this. Recall the crazy amounts of snow the euro held into up around msp as well? 

Great thing about these forums and recent events is it doesn't take long to see how the models etc performed which I am about to do as I know I have forgotten things even recent. 
One thing I do know is the offices here etc had the heaviest ice too far north. 
I can confidently say that part of the problem with the ice storm forecast out there was the new ptype methodology we were forced into this winter. We had imo a much better system in place for several years up until last year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I can confidently say that part of the problem with the ice storm forecast out there was the new ptype methodology we were forced into this winter. We had imo a much better system in place for several years up until last year.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they revisit it. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 5:53 PM, Frog Town said:

It'll be back to it's Sunday solutions by 12Z Wednesday.  

Got lots of laughs when posted but now it's not so funny.  When you've seen this happen so many times over the Winter, it doesn't take a MET degree to catch on.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1