Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-4 Potential Winter Storm

Hoosier

25 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Seems like we say this every storm, but the lack of consensus getting closer to the event is ridiculous. How are the pros supposed to forecast this for John Q public who has no weather knowledge but will bash away if the forecast is wrong?

It's ridiculous. I just flew in this morning to empty my house i just sold. i'm loving this weather. Sun feels great. I'm supposed to fly out Friday and need to make a decision today if I'm gonna stay until sunday for this storm lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sbnwx85 said:
What do we think? Cut these totals on the 10:1 map in half? 
sn10_acc-imp.us_mw.png

As much as I personally dislike the snow depth change maps, as they can be often times too low, this will be one of the times that they are closer to reality…maybe with a mix of kuchera in there a bit too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

If I lived in MSP, I'd go with B+...maybe A- at best due to the warmth. 

C’mon man this is a joke right? We haven’t had wall to wall cold, but you aren’t gonna have 70”+ of snowfall around these parts with polar air suppression all winter long. 100% snow cover in DJF, much of it double digit depth. Multiple 12”+ storms, and had some days that stayed below zero. It’s been a weird ice fishing season with deep snowpack that insulated the lakes early and kept ice from getting as thick as years past, but there’s still plenty of ice houses out there. This is an A+ winter, I work outside so I can do without the punishing cold we usually get.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

That’s f*cking brutal

Dude was catching up on this thread, saw that map, and was going to try and tag you to  say “brutal.”  Like ALEK says, it’s going to be a beautiful spring around here with the trees 

1 hour ago, michaelmantis said:

I am the "weather guy" for my family and the one who gets all the texts about "what is the real forecast". 

I saw a local Chicago met toss up a bar chart of 4 models ranging from 1.2 inches to 10 inches. I can't see how that is helpful for the general public. 

I told my family to be aware Friday morning there may be some significant snow during the day or there could be a cold messy mix. 

It almost seems like a "impact scale" should be the way this is publicly communicated. 1 inch of snow during rush hour is more impactful than 3 inches of snow overnight on a weekend. 

Regardless, the NWS will never win. They are in the bad position of being seen as too conservative, too agressive, late to the game, etc all at the same time!

Beautifully said. Same here. I'm the weather guy that everyone asks. And yes, the NWS can never win. What's even worse, even IF they get it right, you have people from the outskirts of the main forecast area who got either less or more than the heart of the area slapping on the criticism.

3 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

C’mon man this is a joke right? We haven’t had wall to wall cold, but you aren’t gonna have 70”+ of snowfall around these parts with polar air suppression all winter long. 100% snow cover in DJF, much of it double digit depth. Multiple 12”+ storms, and had some days that stayed below zero. It’s been a weird ice fishing season with deep snowpack that insulated the lakes early and kept ice from getting as thick as years past, but there’s still plenty of ice houses out there. This is an A+ winter, I work outside so I can do without the punishing cold we usually get.

As I said above, let beavis be beavis. As a reminder he didn't give 2013-14 an A if I recall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

It's ridiculous. I just flew in this morning to empty my house i just sold. i'm loving this weather. Sun feels great. I'm supposed to fly out Friday and need to make a decision today if I'm gonna stay until sunday for this storm lol.

Jan 25 was the only well modeled event I can recall locally this winter here. Some are still without power in Monroe County a week after their "Winter weather advisory" ice storm lol