Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I don't like this one. Shortwave out west is generated with a bad pacific, and cold coming in behind it; at the same time on its treck east, the -NAO is ebbing. 

Good calls with the last couple events. I hope you're wrong but this winter has shat the bed in every way possible so why wouldn't it do so again. 

Thank God spring is almost here 

Yeah ...I know.

That clipper next Tuesday has been gaining identity in the GFS every run going back some 7 cycles. 

'That's what we call a trend, class'

I don't like the QPF loading with a NW-SE moving S/W that doesn't/didn't have access to a PWAT inject prior to arriving here.  But...  I remember a 'little critter' like that ... in February of 03 that shocked the shit outta NWS and sent them scrambling to get a Warning out down the east end of the Pike when 10" , on a west wind no less, laid down over a white home page on their web address while it was happening .. heh.  Come to think of it, that's might actually be the greatest positive bust ever, because it went from "0" to 10" ...

We can't be tossing these things like they don't count.  And we may also just be in a small 3 week window of, 'if it can happen it does' results.   Go figure!

we'll see. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I don't like this one. Shortwave out west is generated with a bad pacific, and cold coming in behind it; at the same time on its treck east, the -NAO is ebbing. 

the ebbing -NAO is often the driver for some of the most prolific storms in NE US history

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Lots of seasonal scar tissue is evident....just need to allow the injuries to heal.

Been ribbing the forum for a couple of days on this aspect ...agreed.   Hyper vigilance to detect reasons to poo-poo is about as useless as calling every cumulus cloud on the charts a 10 ten blizzard, though. 

Okay, so maybe the latter is worse...but still - it ain't helpin'

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Been ribbing the forum for a couple of days on this aspect ...agreed.   Hyper vigilance to detect reasons to poo-poo is about as useless as calling every cumulus cloud on the charts a 10 ten blizzard, though. 

Okay, so maybe the latter is worse...but still - it ain't helpin'

I don't view this as a cutter pattern. While I would never advise anyone to venture to view the world through Geroge's bifocals, I would recommend one approach this period with a mind wide open to some exotic potential.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't view this as a cutter pattern. While I would never advise anyone to venture to view the world through Geroge's bifocals, I would recommend one approach this period with a mind wide open to some exotic potential.

btw, I create a thread for that focus... just letting people know its there.  It'll probably be back seat until the afterglow (or jilted rage...), fades off Saturday night but it's there nonetheless..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

btw, I create a thread for that focus... just letting people know its there.  It'll probably be back seat until the afterglow (or jilted rage...), fades off Saturday night but it's there nonetheless..

Yea, I read it....great thread. I love that you highlighted the difference between the numerical (fraudulent) PNA we had in January,  and the synoptic one that looks to become established this month, which actually....you know...pops a ridge in the west. If there were ever a smoking gun for betting against seasonal persistence, that single factor empties the chamber in my mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I read it....great thread. I love that you highlighted the difference between the numerical (fraudulent) PNA we had in January,  and the synoptic one that looks to become established this month, which actually....you know...pops a ridge in the west. If there were ever a smoking gun for betting against seasonal persistence, that single factor empties the chamber in my mind.

BTW, this is why some folks responded to me with confused emoji's and cross-eyed looks when I said that January averaged a +PNA....it did, but it was useless because the ridge was off of the west coast, but its still calculated to a +PNA because a John said, the domain space is immense.

32 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the ebbing -NAO is often the driver for some of the most prolific storms in NE US history

Man. When I look at history I don't take the sample size of ALL historical records. Narrow it down to similars.

This year we have NOT had an issue with too much confluence; in such a season I'd absolutely agree.

An ebbing -NAO with a raging pacific is problematic. Not my opinion; the snow totals this season reflect that.

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Man. When I look at history I don't take the sample size of ALL historical records. Narrow it down to similars.

This year we have NOT had an issue with too much confluence; in such a season I'd absolutely agree.

An ebbing -NAO with a raging pacific is problematic. Not my opinion; the snow totals ytd reflect that.

I don't think the atmosphere in March gives a rat's ass, though. MJO never hit phase 8 all season. This month it will and at break neck amplitude, mind you....at the same time, la nina is fading.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Big changes in that regard from March 1st to 31st. 

So i'd hedge that statement, accordingly.

The synoptic apex of said pattern appears to be the second week of the month and snowfall climo does not decline markedly for SNE until beyond  mid month.

Not sure the relevance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Good calls with the last couple events. I hope you're wrong but this winter has shat the bed in every way possible so why wouldn't it do so again. 

Thank God spring is almost here 

Thank you for noticing and commenting. Most on here only let you know when you sucked.