Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

That's wild.  It looks like the temps briefly dropped to the upper 40s in Newport Beach which must have been just good enough.

In fairness, that's how I've gotten my 3 trace events here this winter...so I guess Monkton area climate is the same as Newport Beach now.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You’re basically speculating the same thing just using technical terms lol. I don’t know but it would explain some things. 

I think that the seemingly ever-present NW trend of storm tracks from run to run as well as an overall cold E US bias of models much past 5 days and especially out 10+ days is probably partially related to the warm Atlantic fighting back. But if so, why do the models not get adjusted in updates to take these biases into account after all of these years? Is sparse initialization data over the Atlantic the main issue keeping the models largely clueless?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

That's wild.  It looks like the temps briefly dropped to the upper 40s in Newport Beach which must have been just good enough.

I need to take some time to check the stats on this west coast winter because it's the complete opposite of what we've experienced here.  They really did need the precip and there was mention of snow around Vegas again today.  When I see that, it's a pretty good indication of what the pattern is like in the east, at least in the short range.

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

there is definitely a trend here to get the vort out faster, though, regardless of whatever weird way the GFS is thinking of doing it verbatim

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1677693600-1678417200-1678417200-40.thumb.gif.b5bca13f9522071239bbfd4e7a7a21cf.gif

What am I missing here? The trend has been to bury that energy in the W and pump the SER, at least based on the trends you posted. Trying to link the stout NAO and building ridge. And yes, that is a ridge please stop saying it is just higher heights between longwaves. It's essentially the same thing?

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol ya the GFS basically obliterates the whole hemispheric circulation to avoid moving the SER lol. Hence my speculative comment above.  It’s probably just wrong. But if it’s not…

That fucking SER is becoming like the Great Red Spot on Jupiter. At this rate it will just become a permanent feature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

What am I missing here? The trend has been to bury that energy in the W and pump the SER, at least based on the trends you posted. Trying to link the stout NAO and building ridge. And yes, that is a ridge please stop saying it is just higher heights between longwaves. It's essentially the same thing?

it’s farther east and at least attempting to get it out of the west, that was the point there

also, I don’t think the adage of models being “hot” or “cold” has merit. past performance is not an indication of future success, and the GFS is far away from the consensus, so I have to lean against it

if some want to be pessimistic, i get it, but we just have to see things shake out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18z EPS only goes out to 144

This was possibly a trend towards GFS

Here is 18z control vs 12z… posting control because it generally follows the OP

Can see the difference in western energy and the EPS confirms it. Not saying it’s like GFS yet but a clear step. Onto 00z

912cd9473c8a638528063a5bce02f381.gif

• Like 1

Can see the difference in western energy and the EPS confirms it. Not saying it’s like GFS yet but a clear step. Onto 00z

Gfs wins again. No surprise

2 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Unfortunately I agree…

18 minutes ago, Heisy said:

I wouldn’t say so. the way that the vort behaves is still radically different 

the EPS still boots the vort relatively quickly. it’s about the same as 12z in that regard, you can see it moving east. the GEFS actually backs the core of the trough NW. they’re totally different still. wouldn’t say one moved towards the other

the EPS probably amped the trough up a bit more, which explains the W tick, but the way it behaves is the same as 12z due to the differing Pacific layouts

3AF32A0E-06C8-4396-9CD7-79BDE27D746D.thumb.gif.d94ddfbe85f3763ddebdf3abc8483307.gif54BFD3A0-82F6-46DD-84A5-D767BCCA7341.thumb.gif.3ea8483b8534534b7e42c3e6eb458c8d.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

Maybe biggest difference is separation of the troughs? Other than that it looks identical

that is the major feature that determines whether the vort gets booted east or not, that one difference makes all the difference. there is a piece of a ridge on the EPS where the GEFS has a trough in the E Pacific. it’s a big change

they also vary in how they deal with the AK ridging. EPS and GEPS are more poleward

• Like 1