• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Atlantic Hurricane season

Stormchaserchuck1

This system in the western Caribbean is what the GFS has been saying hits Florida as a hurricane for the last 2 weeks. It certainly looks impressive right now. It'll be interesting to watch in real time. 

Screenshot_20230617_172010_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

ENSO subsurface has warmed up to almost +7c in the east, meaning that we will probably see a rapidly strengthening El Nino at least through July. 

Since year 2000, 16/21 Seasons have had 15+ TC [tropical cyclone]. (All 5 under 15 were developing El Nino's) (No season non-El Nino since 2000 has had under 15TC. 

Most recent, 2018 was a rapidly developing Summer El Nino (although weak): 15TC. 2016 was the most recent rapidly developing Summer La Nina: 15TC. 

12 hours ago, Superstorm93 said:

Been watching this stuff since 2006 and I can't recall a June where this was already this much activity in the East Atlantic

We're going to need to bump seasonal predictions up quite a bit if this becomes a trend.

goes16_rgb_eatl.gif

Bringing this back to seasonal-level discussion. The recent (June 6)  CSU forecast has 15 Named Storms, 7 Hurricanes, 2 Major Hurricanes. The asterisk here is that it includes the unnamed storm that already happened 6 months ago in January :o. So including these specific numbers, it's really normal, also the ACE is really normal. So I guess the negative features of El Nino will be maybe fighting against some positive features, like the stronger African monsoon.

For all you New England persons out there, Phil Klotzbach used to have a team picture of the 2004 Red Sox in his office when he was at CSU's campus.

• Like 1

HPRSgUP.gif

One main phenomenon which contextualizes this earlier activity is: tropical cyclones frequently meet up and merge with a larger low pressure system which is often moving from west to east.  Understandably, both types of activity are here together.  I think on some level there still isn't the vocabulary to describe the ULL(s) and cyclone(s) as the same system, yet, although there would be a threshhold after which it would be clear in the models that the merging would eventually happen. 

Canadian Climate Model seems to suggest an active August before El Nino shuts down the hurricane season for the US.  Shear doesn't look terrible even later in the season (not attached) in the deep tropics.  Just one model, but unless naked swirl Bret can do something in a few days, not seeing much after Cindy dies

cansips_August.png

cansips_September.png

• Like 1

I still think the window for a potential active stretch with hurricanes will be small. Perhaps mid-July to the end of August. If a disturbance can get in the right place at the right time, sure, we may still see legitimate landfall threats. But everything to me looks like it will lead to a plethora of upper tropospheric troughs and strong upper level westerlies across the western Atlantic basin by September, if not before.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:07 AM, Superstorm93 said:

Been watching this stuff since 2006 and I can't recall a June where this was already this much activity in the East Atlantic

We're going to need to bump seasonal predictions up quite a bit if this becomes a trend.

goes16_rgb_eatl.gif

Or  it  could  be totally dead  in aug/sept. Cindy and  Bret  both collapsed. Before  i say this will anything  but  a dead el nino season i will need to see storms get  past  70W on deepening trends and with a west  component.

• Weenie 1

53 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

Or  it  could  be totally dead  in aug/sept. Cindy and  Bret  both collapsed. Before  i say this will anything  but  a dead el nino season i will need to see storms get  past  70W on deepening trends and with a west  component.

Welcome back.  See above post, I don't see why the Cansips active August before El Nino really kicks in is impossible.

4 hours ago, ldub23 said:

Rai.....ooops, I mean, ldub is back! Hurricane season ain't the same without him/her! A tradition unlike no other!

The pattern right now just isn't condusive for Atlantic activity. Way too much mid-to-upper westerlies across the basin. We'll see where things stand in a couple of weeks and leading into August if a window of favoribility can emerge. But that window likely won't persist for too long. Yes, we're only in early July here. But the idea of an active period was banking on development prior to September, as a strong El Niño most likely shuts down the ASO by September anyway. Despite the favorable AMO, the lesson here is cyclical positive SST/OHC anomolies are not going to lead to an active year. You need a favorable atmospheric pattern in place. I'm not saying we don't get a big bad major landfall during an El Niño. Andrew comes to mind. Just takes a lot more luck with placement of TC and a temporary pattern. That being said, I have no confidence in 2023 being active or even reaching normal ACE values.

• Like 2

We have already had three named storms though.  Not seeing anything right now that would suggest anything different from two weeks ago?  Are you seeing different forecasts coming out that suggest a lower than normal season (well lower than predicted I guess)

We have already had three named storms though.  Not seeing anything right now that would suggest anything different from two weeks ago?  Are you seeing different forecasts coming out that suggest a lower than normal season (well lower than predicted I guess)
Those storms developed due to favorable WAM and SST anomolies in the eastern MDR. The wave train can persist, and some disturbances may continue to develop in the MDR, but unless mid-to-upper flow cooperates, they are going to be shredded in this pattern just like our previous two tropical storms. Again, not saying something gets in the right place at the right time, and certainly AMO is favorable, but tropical depressions and storms do not high value ACE generate. Flow off of the EPAC and GOM ridge placement is driving a frequently reoccurring pattern of TUTTs and strong westerlies from the Caribbean out over the western MDR and subtropical Atlantic. That is unfriendly for long-tracking hurricanes. Again, we'll see where things stand in a few weeks and see how modeling begins to evolve for August. But a hostile pattern may very well prevail into ASO. A window of activity, if opened, may slam shut fast.
  • Like 2

Be careful using the EPS weeklies beyond 2-3 weeks to gauge favorability of the overall pattern for Atlantic tropical activity. They have been biased toward too much -VP over the E. Pacific and +VP over Indian Ocean, apparently playing catchup to the lingering impacts of the very warm SST in the tropical W. Pacific and the -PDO, as well as the influence of the strong WAM and very warm tropical Atlantic.

• Like 2

The new Euro seasonal model continues to show an exceptionally active remainder of the season. Little skeptical, but it's going to be rather interesting to watch this unfold over the next two months.

I suppose we could rack up some ACE with several long-tracked Cape Verde storms if we have more intra-seasonal forcing than the giant WP standing wave, 

ps2png-worker-commands-6d4494695d-ldw8h-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-ZZYMla.png

ps2png-worker-commands-6d4494695d-n4snn-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-_vCTIF.png

9 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

The new Euro seasonal model continues to show an exceptionally active remainder of the season. Little skeptical, but it's going to be rather interesting to watch this unfold over the next two months.

I suppose we could rack up some ACE with several long-tracked Cape Verde storms if we have more intra-seasonal forcing than the giant WP standing wave, 

ps2png-worker-commands-6d4494695d-ldw8h-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-ZZYMla.png

ps2png-worker-commands-6d4494695d-n4snn-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-_vCTIF.png

Seeing enhanced activity in both the MDR and EPAC would be exceptionally contrary to climo for an El Niño season. Call me skeptical at best