• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

Clearly these offices are still learning to deal with their collective PTSD from how badly the Dec21 storm was called.

When you call for warnings a week early and the models leave you hanging at the last minute, normal people are pissed but the weather nerds understand where you were coming from. 

When you call it during (borderline after) the event, weather nerds will make forum posts laughing at you, and normal people will think that you nailed it.

Among the two options, they prefer to be the ridicule of the Ohio valley subforum. Such is life.

Coming back into the Metro from the west. Ofc driving in traffic but N side of Ann Arbor may have been pushing 0.4-0.5 accretion. Nervously drove under a large tree that was leaning way over my lane. Looked primed to plunge at any moment. Drooping power lines and some shorter trees with branches touching the ground. Stopped for a couple groceries and power went out for about a minute. Got to see my first ICE STORM WARNING on the MDOT signs. That was cool. Just missing Snow Squall Warning for the complete set of winter headlines. As Hoosier says, some region will be "just right" for the maximum combined effects. Hopefully not too large an area here in SMI.

Ice accretion is fun...definitely an interesting one today with places getting over a quarter inch of accretion with air temps at or slightly above freezing for some or all of the freezing rain.

Basically, wet bulb temp, wind speed, and precip rate determine how efficiently freezing rain will accrete. Higher precip rates don't accrete as efficiently due to more of it running off before freezing...though on the flip side very light freezing rain or drizzle can accrete at a better than 1:1 ratio to the liquid amount. Otherwise, it's a battle against latent heat release. If air temps are slightly above freezing you can accrete (as many saw today) if the wet bulb temperature is below freezing due to evaporational cooling. However, when the rain freezes it gives off latent heat which warms the surrounding air, so wind is also very important to the equation. Stronger wind whisks away the latest heat given off and can continue advecting in drier air. Strong winds can also increase accretion efficiently due to giving each given rain drop a greater chance at encountering an elevated object (since the drops move more horizontally as they fall when wind is stronger). 

Typically, it's a battle against the latent heat release and often that battle doesn't last very long if the winds are light and the dew points aren't that low, but in a set-up like this with an actual cold high to the north advecting in a drier airmass it all balanced out fairly well. I'm guessing the efficiency of the ice with temps at or slightly above freezing was not well forecast...we also under-did accretion here in NE Ohio to the point where we had a few power outages east of Cleveland, and much like farther west temperatures had to get firmly above freezing before accretion stopped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

I've never seen as much ice in 15 years where I live. Birch tree still standing but that thing is creeking and bent over and when the wind starts up it is a scary sound. Roads seem perfectly fine (was out a bit) but *everything* above ground is covered with a decent glaze. 

The wind forecast tomorrow scares me, only saving grace is my forecast says temps should rise to the upper 30's before much of the wind starts. Sustained winds with the ice on trees now would be a huge problem. 

2 minutes ago, sielicki said:

Clearly these offices are still learning to deal with their collective PTSD from how badly the Dec21 storm was called.

When you call for warnings a week early and the models leave you hanging at the last minute, normal people are pissed but the weather nerds understand where you were coming from. 

When you call it during (borderline after) the event, weather nerds will make forum posts laughing at you, and normal people will think that you nailed it.

Clearly, among the two options, they prefer to be the ridicule of the Ohio valley subforum. Such is life.

So, I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that the December storm underperforming had 0 to do with advisories/warnings being conservative on the southern fringe of this one.

With that said, you are correct that the general public (and decision makers) does not like having their daily lives disrupted for what ends up being a busted forecast/not a major event and we do take that into consideration, meaning if we're issuing a warning product of some sort we want to be fairly sure, and usually won't do it in a "could go either way" situation. I can't comment on the meat and potatoes of the forecast farther west into IN/MI/IL, but in NE OH/NW PA there was a pretty notable colder trend at the last minute leading to more widespread freezing rain and greater amounts of it farther south than expected 24+ hours out. When you combine a last minute colder trend (that forecasts needed to adjust/catch up to) and the fact that good accretion occurred during the day with temperatures at or slightly above freezing (not unheard-of, but understandably tough to forecast) I can see why warnings ended up being very reactive on the southern fringe. If you want a lesson to take away from all of this as a forecaster, a legit cold high and advection of lower dew point air into a freezing rain situation can cause it to surprise on the fringes...a lack thereof can cause underperformance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So..

FXUS63 KDTX 222327
AFDDTX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI
627 PM EST Wed Feb 22 2023

.UPDATE...

Reports of a tenth to near a quarter inch across Lenawee and Wayne
Counties has prompted an upgrade to an ice storm warning for
Lenawee/Monroe/Wayne Counties. Locals near Lake Erie in Monroe County
will likely have limited icing, however farther inland (particularly
near Petersburg, Dundee and Milan) icing to a quarter inch is
expected.

The convective burst which rolled across the area earlier and
produced a few elevated thunderstorms proved very efficient at icing
per spotter reports. Given upstream radar and with the loss of
daytime heating, icing on trees and power lines should prove very
efficient through the rest of the evening.

&&

1 minute ago, RogueWaves said:

So..

FXUS63 KDTX 222327
AFDDTX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI
627 PM EST Wed Feb 22 2023

.UPDATE...

Reports of a tenth to near a quarter inch across Lenawee and Wayne
Counties has prompted an upgrade to an ice storm warning for
Lenawee/Monroe/Wayne Counties. Locals near Lake Erie in Monroe County
will likely have limited icing, however farther inland (particularly
near Petersburg, Dundee and Milan) icing to a quarter inch is
expected.

The convective burst which rolled across the area earlier and
produced a few elevated thunderstorms proved very efficient at icing
per spotter reports. Given upstream radar and with the loss of
daytime heating, icing on trees and power lines should prove very
efficient through the rest of the evening.

&&

Welcome back to the metro :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I see that IWX finally upgraded Branch and Hillsdale Counties, MI to an Ice Storm Warning, now that HillsdaleMIWeather has to go out to his car to charge his phone so he can post.

The power here keeps going out and coming back on every 20 mins, there’s a lot of damage all over 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Ice accretion is fun...definitely an interesting one today with places getting over a quarter inch of accretion with air temps at or slightly above freezing for some or all of the freezing rain.

Basically, wet bulb temp, wind speed, and precip rate determine how efficiently freezing rain will accrete. Higher precip rates don't accrete as efficiently due to more of it running off before freezing...though on the flip side very light freezing rain or drizzle can accrete at a better than 1:1 ratio to the liquid amount. Otherwise, it's a battle against latent heat release. If air temps are slightly above freezing you can accrete (as many saw today) if the wet bulb temperature is below freezing due to evaporational cooling. However, when the rain freezes it gives off latent heat which warms the surrounding air, so wind is also very important to the equation. Stronger wind whisks away the latest heat given off and can continue advecting in drier air. Strong winds can also increase accretion efficiently due to giving each given rain drop a greater chance at encountering an elevated object (since the drops move more horizontally as they fall when wind is stronger). 

Typically, it's a battle against the latent heat release and often that battle doesn't last very long if the winds are light and the dew points aren't that low, but in a set-up like this with an actual cold high to the north advecting in a drier airmass it all balanced out fairly well. I'm guessing the efficiency of the ice with temps at or slightly above freezing was not well forecast...we also under-did accretion here in NE Ohio to the point where we had a few power outages east of Cleveland, and much like farther west temperatures had to get firmly above freezing before accretion stopped. 

This is an excellent summary.

I think this event will also be remembered for the relative lack of impact on most roads throughout the bulk of the event (maybe things will get a little more questionable now with the loss of daytime).  It's a good reminder that it really doesn't matter how mild the winter has been overall or in the lead-up to the storm when it comes to getting icing on elevated/colder objects, but it is a factor for road impacts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Welcome back to the metro :lol:

Thx. Missed my brown ground. 

Thought temps would slowly RISE. Apparently that was too optimistic.

For DTW...The peak freezing rain intensity (moderate to briefly
heavy) will persist through 04Z before it moves off to the east. Sfc
temps will hold around 32 degrees through the evening, then they
will actually drop a degree or two overnight.

22 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

I've never seen as much ice in 15 years where I live. Birch tree still standing but that thing is creeking and bent over and when the wind starts up it is a scary sound. Roads seem perfectly fine (was out a bit) but *everything* above ground is covered with a decent glaze. 

The wind forecast tomorrow scares me, only saving grace is my forecast says temps should rise to the upper 30's before much of the wind starts. Sustained winds with the ice on trees now would be a huge problem. 

Definitely hoping that bump in temps materializes because my area is a mess.

5 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Definitely hoping that bump in temps materializes because my area is a mess.

Gonna be a race as far as how much ice can melt before the winds pick up.  One thing I'd say is that it seemed like the wind potential had trended downward a bit when I last checked into it.  50+ mph gusts would've been really bad.

• Thanks 1

The view from DeKalb. Even the grass crusted up nicely. A few isolated slick spots on roads - but they are generally fine at least in town. Still 32 out - GFS seems to have gotten this one right (never really had us warming up during precip the way the NAM, Euro, and other hires models showed). My point and click was predicting a trace, this is in the realm of 0.1"-0.15". Oops.

PXL_20230223_020606482.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.94f3f1a05f136b23370c817279218cb2.jpg

PXL_20230223_020857170.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.8a7752b397a50577d40f78071c976273.jpg

PXL_20230223_020708268.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.6d299fc2f0ff5d61ff3930460a322901.jpg

• Like 8

Standing outside at the moment just listening to the crackling and crashing of tree branches in the distance. Power flashes look like lightning every few minutes. Several without power, half of my block is out but somehow managed at least for the time being to keep power at my place. Have approximately .50” of ice on everything. Tomorrow morning will make for some awesome pictures. Still raining here at 31°. Can’t imagine much more than maybe another .05” if that before this wraps up. 

Jackson and Hillsdale got absolutely clobbered. Interested to hear what they ended up with total.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Jackson and Hillsdale got absolutely clobbered. Interested to hear what they ended up with total.

One report of 0.6" in Lenawee County is the highest I've seen, but IWX hasn't posted reports yet. Around 0.5" in the I-94 corridor.

• Thanks 1