• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Should There Be a Thread For This Storm

Hoosier

This storm is basically like a summary of the winter around here, with the excitement missing in every direction.  The snow will be nw, the best precip will probably be west (and also maybe south), the highest winds will probably be south, and the marginal severe risk for tomorrow is currently placed just to my south and east.  

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

But it will melt in a couple of days anyway - what's the point?  I didn't realize it was April. :axe:

By the time good snow threats show up for us (if they do.  I'm in show-me mode at this point) you can forget about having a sustained snow cover in our area.  Not happening.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

By the time good snow threats show up for us (if they do.  I'm in show-me mode at this point) you can forget about having a sustained snow cover in our area.  Not happening.

We just had our most sustained stretch of snow cover in the Detroit area this winter, 17 days. The other "stretch" was 7 days at Christmas. Just not a good year for snow cover. But I cannot believe anyone, beavis no less, would turn down a snowstorm because it'll melt in a few days lol. And by the way it is possible to roll off smaller streaks of snow cover in March, don't give up yet.

Looking to be 2-4" here for accumulation. A decent little hit but man if we had a typical February airmass this would be a 12"+ hit for the 151-41 corridor. This is the perfect track for that corridor with a low just north of Chicago. Still going to be a decent hit, but it is a little frustrating having such a great track at the perfect time of year be so marginal. 

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We just had our most sustained stretch of snow cover in the Detroit area this winter, 17 days. The other "stretch" was 7 days at Christmas. Just not a good year for snow cover. But I cannot believe anyone, beavis no less, would turn down a snowstorm because it'll melt in a few days lol. And by the way it is possible to roll off smaller streaks of snow cover in March, don't give up yet.

So I looked up some stats for Chicago.  The last time there was 3 consecutive days with 1"+ of snow on the ground in March was in 2017.  The last time there was 7 consecutive days with 1"+ of snow on the ground in March was in 2015. 

Didn't check other streak lengths for March, but I'm guessing there wouldn't be a lot of Marches that had snowcover for 2 weeks.

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So I looked up some stats for Chicago.  The last time there was 3 consecutive days with 1"+ of snow on the ground in March was in 2017.  The last time there was 7 consecutive days with 1"+ of snow on the ground in March was in 2015. 

Didn't check other streak lengths for March, but I'm guessing there wouldn't be a lot of Marches that had snowcover for 2 weeks.

2018 was the last March at DTW that had 3 or more days with 1"+ on the ground. But again we've had some fickle March's lately. In 2015 we had 13 days in a row, and 2014 we had 17 days in a row. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

10 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Looking to be 2-4" here for accumulation. A decent little hit but man if we had a typical February airmass this would be a 12"+ hit for the 151-41 corridor. This is the perfect track for that corridor with a low just north of Chicago. Still going to be a decent hit, but it is a little frustrating having such a great track at the perfect time of year be so marginal. 

Story of every weather setup in this region; winter precip or severe, for the last seven years or so.

2 hours ago, StormChaser4Life said:

@cyclone77you might get a surprise event dare I say? Or are you still too east? 

Too far east here.  The nose of IA looks like where that narrow band of snow falls now.  May still get a period of wet snow later this morning but not expecting much if any accum from here points east.  The western side of the QC may end up with some accumulations, gonna be close.

Heavy rain pouring here.  0.57" so far and climbing quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I picked up 0.40" of rain overnight.  It just switched to snow, so the models at least nailed the timing of that.  The problem is we are at the nw edge of the precip shield, so how much snow we get will depend on the stronger precip holding over us.

Hope you can get a couple inches before it ends!!