• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Should There Be a Thread For This Storm

Hoosier

Plenty of confidence now in a dynamically cooled setup allowing for a decent band of snow accumulations, as a negatively tilted shortwave moves through the area with fairly rapid surface low deepening (bombogenesis-like?).  

The main snow band looks to avoid the vast majority of posters here, but at least some will get in on it.  With that being the case, I figured we could make this one an all-emcompassing thread as some decent rains look to occur on the warm side, along with a period of gusty winds given the robust deepening and relatively quick movement through the region. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Plenty of confidence now in a dynamically cooled setup allowing for a decent band of snow accumulations, as a negatively tilted shortwave moves through the area with fairly rapid surface low deepening (bombogenesis-like?).  

The main snow band looks to avoid the vast majority of posters here, but at least some will get in on it.  With that being the case, I figured we could make this one an all-emcompassing thread as some decent rains look to occur on the warm side, along with a period of gusty winds given the robust deepening and relatively quick movement through the region. 

Looks like the CR crew could cash in if things go perfectly.  

May see the grassy surfaces dust up some here in the QCA for a time Thu.  Prob enough to bump MLI over the all-time futility mark unfortunately.

The 00z Euro did become stronger and snowier compared to the 12z run.  Of course, this will be very wet, low-ratio snow, and if the Euro is too cold by a degree this forecast will bust.  This is the snowiest of all the models this evening.  I would err on the low side.  DVN, this afternoon, said not much snow south of Waterloo-Dubuque.  That's certainly possible.

I can't help but get a bit angry because we finally get a rare, strengthening low, loaded with moisture, tracking from St. Louis to Chicago (maybe once every few years track) and there is no f'ing cold air.... in early February.  19 times out of 20 this is a big snowstorm.

image.thumb.png.63526229e605d6736ded600db7924101.png

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The 00z Euro did become stronger and snowier compared to the 12z run.  Of course, this will be very wet, low-ratio snow, and if the Euro is too cold by a degree this forecast will bust.  This is the snowiest of all the models this evening.  I would err on the low side.  DVN, this afternoon, said not much snow south of Waterloo-Dubuque.  That's certainly possible.

I can't help but get a bit angry because we finally get a rare, strengthening low, loaded with moisture, tracking from St. Louis to Chicago (maybe once every few years track) and there is no f'ing cold air.... in early February.  19 times out of 20 this is a big snowstorm.

It should be noted that the Euro has >12" of snow for Marquette and Green Lake Counties, WI inside of 72 hours...and there are currently NO winter weather headlines in effect for those counties.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

what he said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good call, @Hoosier IWX just issued a rare High Wind Watch. 

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Northern Indiana
230 PM EST Tue Feb 7 2023

INZ005>009-012>015-017-018-020-022>027-032>034-103-104-116-203-
204-216-MIZ078>081-177-277-OHZ001-002-004-005-015-016-024-025-
080330-
/O.NEW.KIWX.HW.A.0001.230209T1200Z-230210T0000Z/
Elkhart-Lagrange-Steuben-Noble-De Kalb-Starke-Pulaski-Marshall-
Fulton IN-Whitley-Allen IN-White-Cass IN-Miami-Wabash-Huntington-
Wells-Adams-Grant-Blackford-Jay-Northern La Porte-
Eastern St. Joseph IN-Northern Kosciusko-Southern La Porte-
Western St. Joseph IN-Southern Kosciusko-Cass MI-St. Joseph MI-
Branch-Hillsdale-Northern Berrien-Southern Berrien-Williams-
Fulton OH-Defiance-Henry-Paulding-Putnam-Van Wert-Allen OH-
Including the cities of Elkhart, Goshen, Nappanee, Lagrange,
Topeka, Shipshewana, Angola, Fremont, Kendallville, Ligonier,
Albion, Auburn, Garrett, Knox, North Judson, Bass Lake, Winamac,
Francesville, Medaryville, Plymouth, Bremen, Culver, Rochester,
Akron, Columbia City, Tri-Lakes, South Whitley, Fort Wayne,
New Haven, Monticello, Monon, Brookston, Logansport,
Royal Center, Peru, Grissom AFB, Mexico, Wabash,
North Manchester, Huntington, Roanoke, Bluffton, Ossian, Decatur,
Berne, Marion, Gas City, Upland, Hartford City, Montpelier,
Portland, Dunkirk, Michigan City, La Porte, Kingsbury, Fish Lake,
South Bend, Mishawaka, Lakeville, Granger, Syracuse, Milford,
North Webster, Leesburg, Wanatah, La Crosse, Union Mills,
North Liberty, New Carlisle, Walkerton, Warsaw, Winona Lake,
Silver Lake, Mentone, Dowagiac, Cassopolis, Edwardsburg,
Marcellus, Sturgis, Three Rivers, White Pigeon, Mendon,
Coldwater, Bronson, Hillsdale, Jonesville, Litchfield,
Benton Harbor, St. Joseph, Paw Paw Lake, Niles, New Buffalo,
Stevensville, Berrien Springs, Bryan, Edgerton, Wauseon,
Archbold, Swanton, Delta, Defiance, Sherwood, Hicksville,
Napoleon, Deshler, Liberty Center, Paulding, Antwerp, Payne,
Ottawa, Leipsic, Columbus Grove, Continental, Pandora, Van Wert,
Ohio City, Lima, and Spencerville
230 PM EST Tue Feb 7 2023 /130 PM CST Tue Feb 7 2023/

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Southwest winds 25 to 35 mph with frequent gusts of 45 to
  55 mph. Isolated gusts up to 60 mph possible.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Indiana, southwest Michigan and
  northwest Ohio.

* WHEN...From Thursday morning through early Thursday evening.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds could blow down trees and power lines.
  Power outages are possible. Travel could be difficult,
  especially for high profile vehicles.

Man, another system, more model frustration.  Tonight, half the models show little, if any, precip in much of the Iowa winter storm watch that was just issued this afternoon.  The GFS still hits my area hard, but other models are east and weak with the backside precip.  I don't know what the NWS is going to do with the forecast.

3 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Man, another system, more model frustration.  Tonight, half the models show little, if any, precip in much of the Iowa winter storm watch that was just issued this afternoon.  The GFS still hits my area hard, but other models are east and weak with the backside precip.  I don't know what the NWS is going to do with the forecast.

I'd guess 3-5" in the main swath with isolated higher amounts.  You guys are probably gonna be pretty much in that.  I'd put the spine of the band from Oskaloosa up to about Prairie du Chien.  Looks like the best chance at 5+ will be further north towards Prairie du Chien and into southwest WI where the storm maxes out.