Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Discobs 2023

George BM

14 minutes ago, George BM said:

Another very gusty afternoon it looks like coming up this Tuesday w/ steep 0-2km LRs and 1-2km winds into the 40s(kts)... at least on the HRRR. Got to imagine that other CAMs are fairly similar. 

1353691695_hrrr_2023022000_fh44_sounding_77.73W76.33W38.60N39_66N.thumb.png.07a99589db50e8abda0a149a80af5408.png

Good catch.  Timing is ideal with the winds swinging through at mid afternoon peak surface heating.  3km NAM has it too.

• Like 2

Now some CAMs have up to 200+J/kg CAPE w/ steep LLLRs when the front moves through between midday and 3pm tomorrow. Some CAMs develop showers along/near said front. Given the thermodynamics and kinematics in place I would think there could be enhanced wind gusts, particularly w/ any heavier showers that form. Some smail hail would also looks possible w/ the most intense showers, along with a lightning bolt or two. Shower potential increases the further north you are in the area.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George BM said:

Now some CAMs have up to 200+J/kg CAPE w/ steep LLLRs when the front moves through between midday and 3pm tomorrow. Some CAMs develop showers along/near said front. Given the thermodynamics and kinematics in place I would think there could be enhanced wind gusts, particularly w/ any heavier showers that form. Some smail hail would also looks possible w/ the most intense showers, along with a lightning bolt or two. Shower potential increases the further north you are in the area.

Would be pretty amazing if our biggest frozen event this winter was actually a hail storm

It got breezy for sure, but not sure if the wind really produced as advertised. At least in Frederick, I’ve seen windier days here. I will say that the dry air moving in is felt…dews are low and I’m pretty sure my allergies have been kicking in the last few days, which is kinda ridiculous. I wouldn’t mind some snow in March to offset that a little bit.

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic