Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,535
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Harmonie
    Newest Member
    Harmonie
    Joined

February 2023 Obs/Discussion


Baroclinic Zone
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Tough to wrap your mind around just how insane the positive temp anomaly was for January. 

It has been stated a few times already, but it was just a constant mild day after mild day setup.  Nothing excessively warm, but always above normal.  Many Januarys feature a thaw period with max temps that beat anything we saw this past January.  BDL has a top January 2023 temp of 56... Most good old fashioned January thaws would beat that...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FXWX said:

It has been stated a few times already, but it was just a constant mild day after mild day setup.  Nothing excessively warm, but always above normal.  Many Januarys feature a thaw period with max temps that beat anything we saw this past January.  BDL has a top January 2023 temp of 56... Most good old fashioned January thaws would beat that...

BDL was "only" +7.7 on the max temps. But they were like +11.5 on the min temps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I can't tell you how many people I know that WISH they had never gone the solar route...numerous solar companies have been sued by state attorney general in numerous states.

I use revisions in New Hampshire and I can tell you it was one of the best investments we’ve made.  Sorry to hear of others’ problems but everyone I know is very pleased with theirs’

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FPizz said:

My solar system has been having issues for 28 months now.  When working, it is amazing.  But overall getting any issues fixed is a gigantic headache, with this one going on for 2+ years.  Hopefully you didn't use a Sunpower company, that's all i will say.

Defective Solar Panels Class Action Lawsuit | Defective Product Lawyers (bergermontague.com)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

And I know many who have it and say the complete opposite. 

This is true, but it isn't easy for the average person to vet a company or product when the majority of the American public has the attention span of a two year old. There's way more bad then good right now, and lots of unlicenced people somehow getting away with doing installs

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

This is true, but it isn't easy for the average person to vet a company or product when the majority of the American public has the attention span of a two year old. There's way more bad then good right now, and lots of unlicenced people somehow getting away with doing installs

This sounds like an old man fossil fuel POV lol. Just do your HW. Ask the questions etc. I know plenty who are happy and don't have issues. If you look hard enough with anything, you'll always find problems.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UnitedWx said:

This is true, but it isn't easy for the average person to vet a company or product when the majority of the American public has the attention span of a two year old. There's way more bad then good right now, and lots of unlicenced people somehow getting away with doing installs

While in college I had a professor/lawyer for a tax law course he always stressed reading the fine print of a contract before signing the contract. And he stressed having a lawyer read the contract.  That remains some of the best advice I have ever received. 

The majority of the American public can barely read and understand a text/tweet..reading comprehension is a lost art...as is taking the time to read. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

While in college I had a professor/lawyer for a tax law course he always stressed reading the fine print of a contract before signing the contract. And he stressed having a lawyer read the contract.  That remains some of the best advice I have ever received. 

The majority of the American public can barely read and understand a text/tweet..reading comprehension is a lost art...as is taking the time to read. 

That's because you have ruined society with memes.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FPizz said:

My solar system has been having issues for 28 months now.  When working, it is amazing.  But overall getting any issues fixed is a gigantic headache, with this one going on for 2+ years.  Hopefully you didn't use a Sunpower company, that's all i will say.

 

14 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I use revisions in New Hampshire and I can tell you it was one of the best investments we’ve made.  Sorry to hear of others’ problems but everyone I know is very pleased with theirs’

 

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

And I know many who have it and say the complete opposite. 

We had Sunpower panels installed. I did so much research before choosing a manufacturer/installer. Sadly solar is just like any other technology investment (cars/stoves/hvac/etc). Flip a coin and hopefully you get the product that doesn't fail because they all can. And if it does, hopefully the installer/manufacturer/retailer stands by their product. There is no perfect choice. I purchased a brand new Jeep years back, the thing was in the shop 4 times, in 3 months ($50k at the time, more than my panels/roof combined) the thing didn't produce any electric, drove me places and ate gas). The dealership stood by their product and helped me along, every step of the way until it was fixed for good, other dealerships might not have been so eager to help. For 18 months my system has worked flawlessly, Sunpower even cut me a check for under production in the first year, the fault of extra clouds, not their system. I haven't had an electric bill in 17 months. My average electric bill before the rate hike was roughly what my monthly payment is for the panels which will be paid off in 7.5 years. No complaints here, sorry to those that have. Iphones to lawnmowers have a failure rate, yet we still buy them. It just sucks when we get become part of those statistics.....

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BDL was "only" +7.7 on the max temps. But they were like +11.5 on the min temps.

Overnight mins have been the story for several winters now... Used to be very common to fall into low to mid teens years ago... Now it's a challenge for consistent overnight lows in the teens across SNE...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Overnight mins have been the story for several winters now... Used to be very common to fall into low to mid teens years ago... Now it's a challenge for consistent overnight lows in the teens across SNE...

Yeah it’s been really noticeable the past few winters…really since the localized shift in 2019 it seems. The northeast has been an island of furnace since then while all the cold is dumping well west. You could argue it started after the 2014-15 winter, but we still had some good decently long periods of cold in ‘17-18 and ‘18-19.

It’s like pulling teeth since then.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

While in college I had a professor/lawyer for a tax law course he always stressed reading the fine print of a contract before signing the contract. And he stressed having a lawyer read the contract.  That remains some of the best advice I have ever received. 

The majority of the American public can barely read and understand a text/tweet..reading comprehension is a lost art...as is taking the time to read. 

That's why I wanted a copy of our home mortgage agreement before closing so I could review it. Broker thought I was weird, but it isn't his dime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s been really noticeable the past few winters…really since the localized shift in 2019 it seems. The northeast has been an island of furnace since then while all the cold is dumping well west. You could argue it started after the 2014-15 winter, but we still had some good decently long periods of cold in ‘17-18 and ‘18-19.

It’s like pulling teeth since then.  

 

I think this will change as we get tropical forcing to shift during a Nino, hopefully next year. the MJO "wants" to be in 4-5-6 since it positively feeds back onto the tropical forcing and dies once into 7-8-1 due to destructive interference with ENSO. once into a Nino, we'll see the tropical forcing move E, encouraging an Aleutian Low and riding into AK and the WC... Phases 7-8-1 will finally be easier to obtain due to positive feedback

once we do get that Nino base state, I would expect much of the cold to dump into the Plains and East rather than West and Rockies. we've had 5 Ninas in the last 7 years lmao something has to give there. I don't think any of this is permanent

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the most frustrating part of this winter is how quickly the moisture train disappears as soon as the cold air shows up and vise versa. I mentioned early on, in November perhaps how this season started off with the warm/wet, cold/dry vibe. It hasn't veered from that yet, months later....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This sounds like an old man fossil fuel POV lol. Just do your HW. Ask the questions etc. I know plenty who are happy and don't have issues. If you look hard enough with anything, you'll always find problems.

Well no, but I guess I understand your point. This comes from a licensed electrician who see these issues fairly regularly. And you're absolutely right, a couple of my guys have solar and love it, but did lots of homework first. "Just do your HW" is the problem... like I said attention span of two year olds. They are the people that have the issues. Their fault sure, but when many of the companies sales pitches are more akin to a scam it can be hard for some to tell.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I think this will change as we get tropical forcing to shift during a Nino, hopefully next year. the MJO "wants" to be in 4-5-6 since it positively feeds back onto the tropical forcing and dies once into 7-8-1 due to destructive interference with ENSO

once we do get that Nino base state, I would expect much of the cold to dump into the Plains and East rather than West and Rockies. we've had 5 Ninas in the last 7 years lmao something has to give there

Yeah maybe. It’s weird though because we got pretty damned cold (with plenty of snow to boot) in the previous Niña base state from 2007-2013. But this one has definitely been different…a lot more +AO and when we do happen to get Atlantic blocking, it just hasn’t been able to trap PV underneath it in SE Canada ala years winters like 2010-2011. We’ve had two useless blocking episodes in the past 3 winters (one this past December and then another the first few weeks of January 2021…that one did reload at least and become useful in Feb 2021). 
 

But hopefully we can shake it up for next winter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UnitedWx said:

Well no, but I guess I understand your point. This comes from a licensed electrician who see these issues fairly regularly. And you're absolutely right, a couple of my guys have solar and love it, but did lots of homework first. "Just do your HW" is the problem... like I said attention span of two year olds. They are the people that have the issues. Their fault sure, but when many of the companies sales pitches are more akin to a scam it can be hard for some to tell.

..and that has led to a plethora of lawsuits across the country

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This sounds like an old man fossil fuel POV lol. Just do your HW. Ask the questions etc. I know plenty who are happy and don't have issues. If you look hard enough with anything, you'll always find problems.

How's your solar system working? Do you like your EV car?

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

 

 

We had Sunpower panels installed. I did so much research before choosing a manufacturer/installer. Sadly solar is just like any other technology investment (cars/stoves/hvac/etc). Flip a coin and hopefully you get the product that doesn't fail because they all can. And if it does, hopefully the installer/manufacturer/retailer stands by their product. There is no perfect choice. I purchased a brand new Jeep years back, the thing was in the shop 4 times, in 3 months ($50k at the time, more than my panels/roof combined) the thing didn't produce any electric, drove me places and ate gas). The dealership stood by their product and helped me along, every step of the way until it was fixed for good, other dealerships might not have been so eager to help. For 18 months my system has worked flawlessly, Sunpower even cut me a check for under production in the first year, the fault of extra clouds, not their system. I haven't had an electric bill in 17 months. My average electric bill before the rate hike was roughly what my monthly payment is for the panels which will be paid off in 7.5 years. No complaints here, sorry to those that have. Iphones to lawnmowers have a failure rate, yet we still buy them. It just sucks when we get become part of those statistics.....

I bought my house with the panels on, 68 of them, and the system was only 3 years old (prior owner paid $39k for them up front, I paid a 1 time fee of $600 to "own" them).  First issue was a squirrel bit through a wire.  What should have been a quick fix took 6 months.  This ongoing issue they first thought was an inverter, replaced it, then said it was my other inverter, replaced that and still not fixed, now they are doing a massive system check. All of this happened right before year 10, which was when the warranty ended.  Now they are bringing the warranty issue up, but they never actually fixed the problem yet.  Before then, I had zero bills for 6 years (minus the 1 issue) and was getting quarterly $1,000 dividend checks, even when using my electric pool heater set to 85 during the summer.  Now I've been getting electric bills every month and no dividend checks, plus visits from techs cost $. Doing the math, I'm out several thousands of dollars if you take into losing those dividend checks along with the monthly bills and tech visits.  Once you have a real issue, beware with Sunpower. Hopefully your romance period continues for the long haul with no issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I think this will change as we get tropical forcing to shift during a Nino, hopefully next year. the MJO "wants" to be in 4-5-6 since it positively feeds back onto the tropical forcing and dies once into 7-8-1 due to destructive interference with ENSO. once into a Nino, we'll see the tropical forcing move E, encouraging an Aleutian Low and riding into AK and the WC... Phases 7-8-1 will finally be easier to obtain due to positive feedback

once we do get that Nino base state, I would expect much of the cold to dump into the Plains and East rather than West and Rockies. we've had 5 Ninas in the last 7 years lmao something has to give there. I don't think any of this is permanent

Correct. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FPizz said:

I bought my house with the panels on, 68 of them, and the system was only 3 years old (prior owner paid $39k for them up front, I paid a 1 time fee of $600 to "own" them).  First issue was a squirrel bit through a wire.  What should have been a quick fix took 6 months.  This ongoing issue they first thought was an inverter, replaced it, then said it was my other inverter, replaced that and still not fixed, now they are doing a massive system check. All of this happened right before year 10, which was when the warranty ended.  Now they are bringing the warranty issue up, but they never actually fixed the problem yet.  Before then, I had zero bills for 6 years (minus the 1 issue) and was getting quarterly $1,000 dividend checks, even when using my electric pool heater set to 85 during the summer.  Now I've been getting electric bills every month and no dividend checks, plus visits from techs cost $. Doing the math, I'm out several thousands of dollars if you take into losing those dividend checks along with the monthly bills and tech visits.  Once you have a real issue, beware with Sunpower. Hopefully your romance period continues for the long haul with no issues. 

Sunpower settled a class action lawsuit for issues with inverters.

SunPower Defective Solar Panels $4.75M Class Action Settlement - Top Class Actions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...