Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

How was 2007-08 down in SE Mass?  That seemed like a more interior high-end winter, but got there a different way through SWFE than nor’easters.

It was mostly fine. Near climo (maybe a tick below) except maybe central and outer Cape/Islands. But far from a disaster  

It was much worse down on the south coast of CT/RI. I think sometimes people forget that the latitude of places like Taunton are the same as far N CT so in a latitude winter like 07-08, they won’t be nearly as bad as places like southern CT/RI

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG.5143bc71d18cb40403fab19a15270031.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’d agree with that. There haven’t been a ton of winters that were monsters in the interior but kind of meh in SE MA…but I think if you start in 2002-2003 the skew would be even worse because 1992-93 and 2000-01 were monsters over interior but for SE MA weren’t that great. Esp once you were more than 10 miles south of BOS. 

Yeah 92-93 was somewhat ugly in Attleboro, only 10" superstorm and 6" Dec 92

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

18z eps really thumps the pike region and north.

I was surprised to see about half of the 50 members have warning snows to the pike now on that 18z run for 2/23. Been a steady cooling trend all day. I think we’ll need it to continue though because you know the inevitable north tick is coming with this at some point in the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was surprised to see about half of the 50 members have warning snows to the pike now on that 18z run for 2/23. Been a steady cooling trend all day. I think we’ll need it to continue though because you know the inevitable north tick is coming with this at some point in the next couple of days. 

How does it look for us in the tropics south of the pike? Lol

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

5 inch mean is pretty high for Boston. Nice uptick 

Just now, Modfan2 said:

How does it look for us in the tropics south of the pike? Lol

Not as good but still a chance. A lot of the members have sharp cutoffs near the CT/MA border…but I’d say maybe 1 in 4 gave you warning criteria. And maybe 40% advisory or more. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

5 inch mean is pretty high for Boston. Nice uptick 

Yeah it’s been cooling but I feel like us pike-dwellers will want to see that go up quite a bit more before expecting plowable snowfall. These strong SWFE with big SE ridges rarely stay on the colder trend. They start eating away like 10 miles at a time once we get inside of 3 days or so. But who knows…maybe this one will keep trending colder longer than we’re used to. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The system prior to 2/23 is also trending colder now.  Bodes well for NNE I think l.

That system trending further south has been helping 2/23 tick colder because it drives the arctic boundary further south behind it. So we’ll want to see that keep trending deeper/south with the shortwave. 

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I think we need several more cycles to have some room to spare for the inevitable bump north.....

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That system trending further south has been helping 2/23 tick colder because it drives the arctic boundary further south behind it. So we’ll want to see that keep trending deeper/south with the shortwave. 

Some @OceanStWx ensemble sensitivity number would be good for this one. I’d bet that shortwave going through the lakes on Monday night plays a significant role. I’d assume some of the west coast troughing also plays a role and probably a bit of the PV itself. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some @OceanStWx ensemble sensitivity number would be good for this one. I’d bet that shortwave going through the lakes on Monday night plays a significant role. I’d assume some of the west coast troughing also plays a role and probably a bit of the PV itself. 

Yeah the shortwave and trof are the features. Not really surprising, but the GEFS/EPS both are saying the same thing - you want a stronger lead wave followed by a weaker wave that kicks out of the western trof.

30 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

GFS goes full on nuts on the 28th dropping 18" on EMA... the 26th does seem to disappear  though.

Pretty classic Miller B look there. Ensembles have shown some transient ridging in Rockies so as long as that is there, that will remain an interesting date. 

1 hour ago, George001 said:

Strong high to the north leading to frigid temps despite a low running inland. We’re getting a huge ice storm on Thursday, the SE ridge is really powerful and supports the idea of the low coming north. 

Good luck.  Tell work/school you can’t make it that day. 

• Haha 1