Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Mid/Long Range Disco IV: A New Hope

stormtracker

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

True. But if we aren’t hopeful at D7+, we should just go ahead and pack it in for the winter. Not ready to do that, so blind hope it is!

at this point there looks to be cold and moisture kinda near each other...which is different than other set ups..so we wait

but you couldn't have more different runs than 6z and 12z.  Op run noise.  Toss it.

Agreed. Ensembles are way more important at this juncture anyway, which mostly show a workable setup. Glad that there will FINALLY be a snowpack in place in the mountains and points N/NW between now and next week, which we haven’t had most of the winter. Every bit helps.

Let’s get some cold air nearby with a storm track to our south and the stars will align on one of these threats in due time.

12 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS helpfully waits until the arctic air has nearly left before bringing up that slug of moisture. Meanwhile, NC and southern VA are turned into a ZR glacier.

It didn’t have to wait long. 

Here mid day Feb 1 the front hasn’t even cleared yet. 
C5841ABA-BD8A-4659-A37F-9716390DCB23.thumb.png.c59a42b9e27c7a8fe1f3fd92e55423ec.png
That night early morning Feb 2 the cold has just arrived behind the wave 

CD493F85-66D2-4D38-BCB5-43544722EFC7.thumb.png.9daae0118482ce26f2013c835965592e.png

And 48 hours later it’s been totally obliterated without there even being a cutter simply from very ordinary return southerly flow  

6A5BAE60-9774-4E28-9CC3-3DB60838D8AD.thumb.png.1626fc7e93047ed6a44213178cf7c725.png

So what’s the window here?  I keep seeing this sane general theme, if the cold gets routed that easily were left praying for a perfect timing thread the needle solution.  Don’t get me wrong it could happen and it’s a better threat than we’ve had, but I hope ppl aren’t confusing that with a legit good high probability threat.  This setup still seems more likely to fail than succeed imo  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

...they're OP runs. what's the issue here?

there is going to be a lot of variance. as long as the signal remains on the ensembles, it's not a big deal

We just have not come up good in the end.. no matter what the ops vs ensembles have shown. Just want to see some good runs stay good! 

...they're OP runs. what's the issue here?
there is going to be a lot of variance. as long as the signal remains on the ensembles, it's not a big deal

PSU’s concerns are valid though. It’s been the same song and dance all winter. Ensembles look good around D15 while OP runs are all over the place. Things begin to cave around D7-10, ensembles included. Having no blocking in place to counteract a SER that refuses to go more than 3-5 days without flexing its muscles is troublesome. It’s hard not to be skeptical when models (ensembles included) don’t show a mechanism to counteract what’s been our Achilles heel all winter; a progressive flow and a flexing SER.

We all hope you’re right. As pessimistic as PSU has been, he’s clearly rooting for a good outcome. But he’s been right about all of these threats that continue to fall apart - almost all for the same reason.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

We’re losing the window on the ensembles, too. Just look at the trends. 

I posted the 24 hour trend showing the degrading look on the gefs earlier.

Cognitive dissonance. They really want snow. I get it. If this was 20 years ago I would be guilty of it too.  But now I’d rather face reality head on then do what’s necessary for my sanity. 

For example I called off work so my daughter could play in the snow I got Monday. I wouldn’t have done that for 1.7” that melted by afternoon if I felt we were likely to have way more opportunities. I’m planning a trip in 9 days and already looking at where will probably have snow that weekend. I’m not simply kidding myself into the belief the snow will come to me.  If it does great. Bonus. But I’m acting on the assumption it won’t. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I posted the 24 hour trend showing the degrading look on the gefs earlier.

Cognitive dissonance. They really want snow. I get it. If this was 20 years ago I would be guilty of it too.  But now I’d rather face reality head on then do what’s necessary for my sanity. 

For example I called off work so my daughter could play in the snow I got Monday. I wouldn’t have done that for 1.7” that melted by afternoon if I felt we were likely to have way more opportunities. I’m planning a trip in 9 days and already looking at where will probably have snow that weekend. I’m not simply kidding myself into the belief the snow will come to me.  If it does great. Bonus. But I’m acting on the assumption it won’t. 

For sure, I would have done the same.

Early on in the season, I was like “I have low expectations because its a nina, but it can’t be that bad”

Now? “Ok, it is THAT bad”

After we head up to deep creek this weekend and at minimum, see some snow on the ground and take in the winter wonderland, I’m moving on. I’m out. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic