Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Tropical Tracking Thread

SnowenOutThere

7 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This is WxWatcher007 reporting live from Chiefland, FL, just inland from Cedar Key. We have a hurricane warning here and folks are taking the storm seriously. The forecast for the center is very tricky even now, as some models have been trending westward toward a near direct hit of Tallahassee while others are further east down to Cedar Key. The parallel track along the west coast of Florida makes this hard. I am hedging east right now, but am prepared to move north if necessary this evening. Will monitor trends. 

As is usually the case, my friend @MillvilleWx is in communication with me, and this time I'm grateful to have @ORH_wxman supporting as well. If I lose power and internet, I'll be in touch with them so that everyone here knows I'm ok. 

Driving in last night there was a wicked storm to my south. Perhaps a preview...

giphy.gif

Stay safe, 007...and hope your chase is interesting!  Send photos as you can...

BTW, is that an image of the Reaper in the clouds, illuminated by the lightning? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Time sensitive- but it’s fascinating to me that one of the planes’ sole flight pattern for the past couple of hours is to find winds- and maybe pressure, which it did find- to justify an 11 pm upgrade to Major Hurricane status.

Meanwhile the other one is doing “normal” geographical sweeps through quadrants. 

• Like 1

This is the surreal part of the chase. All the planning, prep, forecasting, and execution of the plan comes down to this, in a place that may be permanently transformed by what is about to unfold. I hope everyone here prepared and evacuated if told to. The surge is looking catastrophic. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This is the surreal part of the chase. All the planning, prep, forecasting, and execution of the plan comes down to this, in a place that may be permanently transformed by what is about to unfold. I hope everyone here prepared and evacuated if told to. The surge is looking catastrophic. 

Hopefully your planning works out. Please have a safe night!

• Thanks 1

The surge and flooding  is going to be the real story of this storm for a larger area then the wind … Even when it gets up to SC

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/rt

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/rt

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=8727520

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/map/index.html?region=Florida

wouldn't doubt that some of the outer bands make it into SE VA …defiantly a few  quick spin up tornados will be around most of the day with the outer bands as well.... 

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Is that an eyewall replacement cycle the last hour or so?

Could be. Question is if so will it reform in time before landfall and does that increase wind? Or does it try to cycle and hit too much land and dry air which weakens it?

4 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

No one commented on the hilarious 6z GFS track? Does a 180 out at sea, looks like its about to come crashing back into Delaware, then says "nah, I'll just hit Nova Scotia" :lol:

I mean Bermuda and Nova Scotia have been tropical system magnets in recent years so... :P

19 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

The 180 degree turn is what I found so crazy, not the hitting Nova Scotia part. 

Oh I know... it's just that it made all those turns just to hit both Bermuda and Nova Scotia. Usually they just go roughly due north between the two locations.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m ok. Very bad signal. Absolutely extraordinary eyewall in Perry. Extensive tree damage and significant roof damage throughout the area. Not just uprooted, snapped in half. Incredible lightning as well. It was insane.

Will post more when I can. 

h3UOX80.jpg

nQHwYei.jpg

uZGzojZ.jpg

lG3k2Ct.jpg

ErwFesQ.jpg

QRbXR9L.jpg

215oTWu.jpg

hz6FR0N.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I was about to come on here and let y’all know @WxWatcher007is safe. Quite the storm for those parts. I’m sure that was an experience he’ll never forget. 

I so so appreciate your support. These chases are the toughest challenge, and you help make it easier. I owe you a dinner or two when I’m back in DC. :) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I so so appreciate your support. These chases are the toughest challenge, and you help make it easier. I owe you a dinner or two when I’m back in DC. :) 

Anytime my man. My name has been on some of the Excessive Rainfall Outlooks for this event. Quite the first two weeks of training :arrowhead:

• Like 1