• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 Banter

George BM

I know multiple people have pointed this out toward the beginning of the season, but  watching this video just reiterates that the degree of “urgency” you may feel about this winter partly depends on whether you got flush-hit on 1/3/22. That was such a quality, high impact snowstorm for much- but of course not close to all- of this sub forum. 

2 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

I know multiple people have pointed this out toward the beginning of the season, but  watching this video just reiterates that the degree of “urgency” you may feel about this winter partly depends on whether you got flush-hit on 1/3/22. That was such a quality, high impact snowstorm for much- but of course not close to all- of this sub forum. 

9.5" of mashed potatoes IMBY with lots of limbs down in the neighborhood (including the holly in my front yard). Really fun storm that was followed four days later with 2.75" of snow on snow.

21 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

And that one snuck up on us did it? I wasn’t here so I didn’t track. How long in advance did the models sniff this out?

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

And that one snuck up on us did it? I wasn’t here so I didn’t track. How long in advance did the models sniff this out?

GFS had been hinting at that storm for days, but it wasn't until 36hrs out that all the models latched onto a WSW event all the way into DC. Euro went from 0.1" -> 1" -> 7" for DC in a 2 run span from 12z on the 1st to 0z on the 2nd, and the GFS had been hammering home the idea of a narrow swath of 12" for some time as well. Nobody believed it due to massive temperature issues at onset, but crazily enough, it verified and then some. That two week stretch of winter weather is close to one of the better ones you could ask for in any winter, back home I recorded 13" in just 2 weeks from 3 separate events. It's unfortunate that winter fell off of a cliff after that coastal bomb in late January (and still seems to be in recovery to this day). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

GFS had been hinting at that storm for days, but it wasn't until 36hrs out that all the models latched onto a WSW event all the way into DC. Euro went from 0.1" -> 1" -> 7" for DC in a 2 run span from 12z on the 1st to 0z on the 2nd, and the GFS had been hammering home the idea of a narrow swath of 12" for some time as well. Nobody believed it due to massive temperature issues at onset, but crazily enough, it verified and then some. That two week stretch of winter weather is close to one of the better ones you could ask for in any winter, back home I recorded 13" in just 2 weeks from 3 separate events. It's unfortunate that winter fell off of a cliff after that coastal bomb in late January (and still seems to be in recovery to this day). 

Wow so cool. My mom got around 10” give or take in Vienna and from the photos she sent me, it looked like a very cold storm. Appeared to be windy, too. I would have never guessed there would have been temp issues here. Did anyone verify blizzard criteria then?

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I would have never guessed there would have been temp issues here. 

It was really at onset with poor ratios and some rain/sleet before snow took over. Once the coastal got cranking things cooled off pretty nicely. Of course there were concerns at the fact that it was in the 60s the day prior, but we know how rates can overcome almost any surface temp issues. 

22 minutes ago, Terpeast said:
Wow so cool. My mom got around 10” give or take in Vienna and from the photos she sent me, it looked like a very cold storm. Appeared to be windy, too. I would have never guessed there would have been temp issues here. Did anyone verify blizzard criteria then?

I got 11” here in Alexandria.  Rates were hot and heavy as the sun rose - no blizzard conditions but best rates here since Jan 2016.  It was a heavy, wet snow - lost half a tree on the side of the house.  

479dd07dc2fe54b6849529f9e18990bd.jpg

26123e15f32aad6906d231bf8921b21a.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, gymengineer said:

I got practically squat from that storm in Frederick, but it was entertaining driving down 270 the next day and seeing several inches in Cabin John.  We did pretty solid with a couple other events that month, so in comparison to this Winter, last Winter even in Frederick feels like the Upper Midwest.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Absolute disaster of a winter.

I dont know how you all keep checking models day in and day out hoping for something to change. my goodness, just give it all up already. stop looking at 300hr outputs, pattern changes, ensembles, etc. yall are driving yourselves crazy. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

I dont know how you all keep checking models day in and day out hoping for something to change. my goodness, just give it all up already. stop looking at 300hr outputs, pattern changes, ensembles, etc. yall are driving yourselves crazy. 

You may not understand our psychology...lol The now is so miserable ya just look for anything, any signal for things to change. I mean...what else do you do?

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

You may not understand our psychology...lol The now is so miserable ya just look for anything, any signal for things to change. I mean...what else do you do?

dont look at it? not be miserable by looking at it? I dunno. anything other than what you're doing? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mappy said:

dont look at it? not be miserable by looking at it? I dunno. anything other than what you're doing? 

Ya know I am more at peace when I'm not thinking about it. I just don't know how to not think about it, lol Late March-Nov it's never an issue because snow is absolutely not possible. But DJF? Man...snow is what makes those months worth it (particularly Jan and Feb--Dec has Christmas so that's always the high point) And when the snow ain't there...even when not looking at models, all ya gotta do is step outside, see a weather forecast on TV and you're reminded. Miserable looking LR, yes...but you just lookin' for relief from the present misery. But the cycle ain't healthy--you right. Someone called it a neurosis...I'm starting to think they may be right.

..........I probably shouldn't be saying all this here, but...at least I'm keeping it out the main thread :lol:

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

I should use that philosophy with the Wizards and Commanders.

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ya know I am more at peace when I'm not thinking about it. I just don't know how to not think about it, lol Late March-Nov it's never an issue because snow is absolutely not possible. But DJF? Man...snow is what makes those months worth it (particularly Jan and Feb--Dec has Christmas so that's always the high point) And when the snow ain't there...even when not looking at models, all ya gotta do is step outside, see a weather forecast on TV and you're reminded. Miserable looking LR, yes...but you just lookin' for relief from the present misery. But the cycle ain't healthy--you right. Someone called it a neurosis...I'm starting to think they may be right.

..........I probably shouldn't be saying all this here, but...at least I'm keeping it out the main thread :lol:

I don't want to tell you what to do. And that's not my goal here. I just don't understand how you can continue doing the thing that you're doing knowing you're miserable because of it. That doesn't make sense to me. If something makes me miserable, I change it. I change my actions, my approach, my overall mind frame on that thing so I am not miserable. 

I'm bummed it hasn't snowed either. Yes, I saw a dusting yesterday for an hour. It doesn't scratch the itch and I totally agree that this winter fucking sucks. 

I'm just not letting it control my emotions and mood and life. I hate seeing others do that to themselves, when it's just snow. 

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I should use that philosophy with the Wizards and Commanders.

lol As a Commanders fan, I do it all the time. Just walk away until another time hahaha

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I do hope better days are ahead for your Commanders once the Snyder reign of terror comes to an end!

I think Snyder is out.  He'd be a moron to stay at this point.  Timesharing with the Ravens has helped ease the pain, but until new ownership comes in and they can secure a new stadium, it might be rough sledding (like this Winter).  The Wizards are more annoying because basketball is my favorite sport.  It's preposterous how long it's been since they've won 50 games...literally, over 40 years.  They just can't get things right...even with their primo arena location in the nation's capital.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol As a Commanders fan, I do it all the time. Just walk away until another time hahaha

I actually thought you were a Ravens fan.  They need to stop this carousel of QBs...pick someone and roll with it.  Otherwise, they actually do have some talent on that squad.

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I actually thought you were a Ravens fan.  They need to stop this carousel of QBs...pick someone and roll with it.  Otherwise, they actually do have some talent on that squad.

Oh, gross. Nope. Born and raised rooting for Washington Football. I enjoy when the Ravens blow 21 point leads in the 4th quarter. :lol: 

I really enjoy watching Heinicke play. I get why he isn't QB1 material, but the guy has the heart and energy the team needs. I hope they keep Howell around as QB1 and not draft another washed up QB like Wentz. 

Snyder has got to go, though. Even Ron is showing some issues. I mean that Cleveland game was so poorly handled, I can't believe he actually said out loud he didn't know the team would be eliminated from playoff contention had they lost. So dumb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Looking at it too long can be like driving a bus on a perpetual journey in the rain.
Eventually the windscreen wipers hypnotize you and you think you're driving for Ted Nugent's tour and go absolutely insane! :P

• Haha 1

• mappy unpinned this topic