Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

8 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

How things might go tonight through tomorrow night when the winds max out. Remember this event well, January 26, 2014. Shows that not much snow is needed for truly gnarly conditions. We don't often get northern Plains weather (with notable exception of 2013-14 and 14-15 winters), but when it happens, the wide open areas outside of the heart of the Chicago metro are prime for blizzard conditions and significant drifting.

The morning AFD update from my office notes that consideration is still being given to upgrading a larger portion of the area to a Blizzard Warning. Think that there's likely to be large sections of north south roads, including some of the interstates, shut down due to blowing and drifting snow tonight through tomorrow night. Hope most people don't chance driving in those conditions. f5b803bcb283bde820f17b87de894ef0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

If the 2-4" part was left out of that writeup, there's no way that most people would think that kind of mess could happen from that amount of snow.

4" here in town this morning. Very cold at -2. High of 5 at midnight. Winds not too bad yet. Just some gusts up to 30-35 blowing the snow around a little. Will be worse starting later tonight thru Sat night as things develop more. They do have a Blizzard warning for me (the Arrowhead in general) starting this evening into Sun am for winds up to 60, but, honestly, I think that'll be more for areas up the shore from me. The terrain there is much steeper, and it's common for strong down-sloping winds to occur there. NWS Duluth even talked about gravity well conditions that can happen there, in the past. Interesting stuff. Driving Hwy 61 along the shore will be a bad idea the next few days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Was an insider ref to SEMI poster complaints with the New Years Eve '13 storm, lol

Nothing could go wrong that Winter lol (not thst there werent, amazingly, the usual complainers). We had a long duration 11" snowstorm December 31st to January 2nd, then a short duration 11" snowstorm January 5/6th. And it was only the beginning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RogueWaves said:

2 or 3 yrs back, MR models flashed a 979 mb SLP east of Detroit. I remember somebody in here @Stebo ? commenting how that basically never happens and ofc it promptly vanished the next run.

Enter the non-fantasy range run GFS

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_4.png

Has Jim Cantore been saying "Bombogenisis" every third word?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Nothing could go wrong that Winter lol (not thst there werent, amazingly, the usual complainers). We had a long duration 11" snowstorm December 31st to January 2nd, then a short duration 11" snowstorm January 5/6th. And it was only the beginning.

The entire winter 2013-2014 was incredible. If I recall correctly we didn't have a high above freezing from late January through April. I had snow cover in my yard from New Year's through the last week of April and some of the parking lots had snowpiles until the end of May. 

5 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

obv the bomb was a bust, but at least the only fun part of the storm is arriving at prime time for us in chicago

Hard to comprehend what it would have been like if the higher end model runs panned out in the area.  Basically a colder/more dangerous version of GHD.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, laferri2 said:

The entire winter 2013-2014 was incredible. If I recall correctly we didn't have a high above freezing from late January through April. I had snow cover in my yard from New Year's through the last week of April and some of the parking lots had snowpiles until the end of May. 

Yup. It was incredible. Even once the snow did melt in April the remnant piles were like something you would see up North by that time of year. And actually, although the main show started New Year's, don't forget snow was actually on the ground since December 8th. We had a horribly timed melt off down to patchy trace snow depth December 23rd through 25th and again the 28th through 30th, but we actually never were completely bare ground since December 7th.

• Like 1

Just now, SolidIcewx said:

Gut tells me if it bombs and goes over Lake Erie we will be in for it

it seriously looks like we’re going to get the worst of the bruising down here in the south east corner of Michigan and southwestern Ontario across the lake into Toledo and northern OH

I mean apart from the lake effect on the west side of Michigan

3 minutes ago, Owensnow said:

it seriously looks like we’re going to get the worst of the bruising down here in the south east corner of Michigan and southwestern Ontario across the lake into Toledo and northern OH

I mean apart from the lake effect on the west side of Michigan

Im normally in the overdone crowd but feel this time it’s a tad under done.

• Weenie 2