Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, cleetussnow said:

To be fair there WAS a huge storm and many records (elsewhere).

I trust him to say what needs to be said (all of it) at the right time, albeit with perhaps better timing this go around.  He was 2 cycles early on the last deal IIRC.

Sorry we just can't risk it. We need a new player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The setup for the 14th is very interesting, on the models we have extremely mild SSTs in the Atlantic Ocean clashing with Canadian air filtering down from 1030s mb high to the north. The sharp thermal contrast supports explosive cyclogenesis as the low redevelops off the coast due to the confluence. We have extremely mild SSTs in the Atlantic Ocean, an atmosphere rich with water vapor due to severe volcanic activity, a strong high to the north, a strong piece of southern energy, northern energy diving in to phase (big wildcard right now, there is risk that this happens too late for us), and confluence to force secondary redevelopment. Therefore, I am of the opinion that if the northern energy does phase in, the low will deepen to the 960s easily, possibly even the 950s. Due to the lack of North Atlantic blocking this is a somewhat progressive pattern, so the solutions with the low SE of the benchmark make sense. However, with a storm this strong the precip shield would be so expansive that we could get into heavy snows even with a storm 100-200 miles SE of the benchmark. The late Jan blizzard last year, Jan 2015, and mid March 2018 all were SE of the benchmark, but we still got clobbered due to how expansive the precip shield was. The low does not need to go right over the benchmark for us to get big snows, anywhere from 200 miles SE to like 100 miles NW will do if the low deepens as much as I am expecting.

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Weeklies actually look decent for late Jan and early Feb….but we know the caveats. It goes more toward a classic La Niña pattern but with a pretty strong AK ridge which is usually good in February…longer wavelengths tend to make it less likely you get the AK trough folding back and digging in Cabo San Lucas.  

We also have *this* which I would have never expected to show up

Way out there, but still interesting to look at. 

sswdotgif.gif

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

He didn't say we were getting a blizzard

i mentioned 2 days ago that I was of the opinion that this threat had the potential to develop into a severe Miller B nor’easter/blizzard, but it wasn’t a sure thing. This far out there are still a wide range of outcomes, with anything from a way OTS unphased system to a slow moving Miller B blizzard being possible. Right now if I had to make an estimate I’d say this threat has around a 35-40% chance at developing into a blizzard for all of SNE, which is quite high for this lead time but not enough to say we WILL get a blizzard for sure. As good as things look, I gotta pump the breaks a bit this far out.

Ugly solution tho...

It really comes down to what happens with that Atlantic system day 5-6. Some models phase the TPV, others, like todays Canadian and GFS don’t. That’s going to create our 50/50.

Here Is difference between 18z GFS and EURO. Focus on the Atlantic

We’ll probably see this sorted out soon as it’s almost under 120 hours
12e56f8868e86cd1df540d1eb38f3e34.gif
928a938ec8c58a381275152bc10e6008.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heisy said:

It really comes down to what happens with that Atlantic system day 5-6. Some models phase the TPV, others, like todays Canadian and GFS don’t. That’s going to create our 50/50.

Here Is difference between 18z GFS and EURO. Focus on the Atlantic

We’ll probably see this sorted out soon as it’s almost under 120 hours
12e56f8868e86cd1df540d1eb38f3e34.gif
928a938ec8c58a381275152bc10e6008.gif

In my amateur opinion....great post!