Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

18 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Late 90s, US currency was like Monopoly money.  I put some entertainers kids through Canadian colleges.  

We used to go in 2001 and 2002 when I was in college. Exchange rate was about 1.55 to 1.60 to 1….it was awesome. More importantly for that age in college, the drinking age was 19 there so those couple years pre-21 were great to hop the border…we were both legal and what little money we had went very far. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Decent size lake to have that much ice, how about the larger ponds in your area, Are they pretty thick with ice?

Haven't seen the biggest lakes this winter, but Long Pond (Belgrade) is iced over an it's one of the later medium-size lakes to freeze, due to its depth.

Are you surprised it's that thick given how mild the winter has been

The previous time I was there, in mid January, ice was 9-10".  Since then, the pack increased from 11" to 20"+ and other than Feb 1-4, temps have been mild.  I had thought that the snow cover would've kept that one Arctic blast from increasing the ice depth more than 4-5", if that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

How much more garbage can we put up there

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Quite a lot, apparently.  

From https://www.space.com/spacex-starlink-satellites.html

A Starlink satellite has a lifespan of approximately five years and SpaceX eventually hopes to have as many as 42,000 satellites in this so-called megaconstellation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tunafish said:

Quite a lot, apparently.  

From https://www.space.com/spacex-starlink-satellites.html

A Starlink satellite has a lifespan of approximately five years and SpaceX eventually hopes to have as many as 42,000 satellites in this so-called megaconstellation.

lol. 5 years? The Walmart of Satellites, or purchased in bulk through Alibaba.  

Dispose of properly, but do so in the next galaxy.

Does the manufacturer offer a 5 year service plan, and if you forego this option does it die after 1 year, or if you do purchase the maintenance plan, does it die exactly 1 day after the plan expires like most microwaves and fridges do?

Don't we have satellites that were launched decades ago still sending back images from space?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

lol. 5 years? The Walmart of Satellites, or purchased in bulk through Alibaba.  

Dispose of properly, but do so in the next galaxy.

Does the manufacturer offer a 5 year service plan, and if you forego this option does it die after 1 year, or if you do purchase the maintenance plan, does it die exactly 1 day after the plan expires like most microwaves and fridges do?

Don't we have satellites that were launched decades ago still sending back images from space?

It has to do with how low they are in space.  They are only a few hundred miles up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Fitchburg also this week.... Kids think it's funny.

Two things.   1) Kids did similar crap when I was young, bomb threats.   But no one took them seriously.  
Today they need to respond to each one which is a huge waste of time and resources and risks other things going sideways. 
2) Your post repeated itself two hours later.  Weird

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Two things.   1) Kids did similar crap when I was young, bomb threats.   But no one took them seriously.  
Today they need to respond to each one which is a huge waste of time and resources and risks other things going sideways. 
2) Your post repeated itself two hours later.  Weird

I knew some girls that worked at sub shop in high school, they asked me to call in a bomb threat so they could get the night off.  Using the correct head to think it over, I declined.

• Like 2