Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

Year without a winter there - unreal. My parents and brother live in NYC still and it's been extended November. Certainly been mild here but we've had some winter, just less of it than usual.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I remember 97-98 being the only winter I didn't see a flake of snow. Ofcourse part I spent in VA beach and the other in Delaware at the coast.. 

23 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

I never did understand that...

"In short, it’s because the astronomical seasons are based on the position of Earth in relation to the sun, whereas the meteorological seasons are based on the annual temperature cycle."

Source:

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

I think the new guy at GRR went to the Typhoon Tip school of meteorlogy

There remains some questions on timing and of precipitation type.
The passing of the torch from the long range models to the mid
range models does not come without its complications. To ice or
not to ice, that is the question.

That question rests upon the variables of timing, QPF and
temperature. The latest ensembles have incorporated the NAM,
which has the warmer air trending northward. This could supplant
the colder air and allow for less probability for ice to form.
This is most prevalent in Van Buren county which the timing for
ice wanes. The precipitation that comes at us like slings and
arrows makes us briefly question whether how much of a magna
glacies tempestas, great ice storm, there will be.
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Powerball said:

"In short, it’s because the astronomical seasons are based on the position of Earth in relation to the sun, whereas the meteorological seasons are based on the annual temperature cycle."

Source:

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

Cool article.

I just learned about the astronomical stuff first and that is what stuck with me. I liked being able to go out and make observations with a stick and it's shadow and confirm it like it has been done for centuries.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:20 AM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Deal. We’ve got the all time seasonal snowfall record of 98.6” from 82-83 to break. Sitting at 55.6” with a good shot at being over 70” by the end of the week. 

Very interesting that 1982-83 is minneapolis' snowiest Winter. That was a bad snow Winter just South of there in the Midwest. Sort of a similar set up to this year

• Like 2

I got back from spending 5 days in the beautiful U.P. I got to see 5 more days with snow on the ground to add to the 25 days I've had at home, making this Winter a little more bearable. Had a great time with some gorgeous scenery but I do have to say the bad snow year is evident everywhere. I've been going to snow belt areas on a Winter trip for 17 years now and I can never recall seeing so few snowmobilers because the conditions are so bad. Many trails are dirt and ice. The snow pack was unusually low everywhere. There was around 15 to 18" of snow on the ground in Houghton. They should have about 3 to 4'. I stayed in a remote area near L'anse (just outside the huron mtns and keewenaw) and had 8 to 11" in the yard. There was grass with just patches and piles of snow at the mackinaw bridge and in St Ignace when you enter the upper peninsula. My brother, who joined us on the trip coming up from Chicago, noted that once he got north of Green Bay (where they had a few fresh inches of snow the day before) there was absolutely no snow on the ground in northern Wisconsin for a stretch. This made me think of beavis's rants and how even north of 45 North it is not a good Winter. It's a stinker and they happen. Next year is practically bound to be a better pattern (though I'm sure there will be have and have nots). The most snow I saw was near Munising, a bit over 2 feet (last year they had 4-5 feet otg at this time). 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I got back from spending 5 days in the beautiful U.P. I got to see 5 more days with snow on the ground to add to the 25 days I've had at home, making this Winter a little more bearable. Had a great time with some gorgeous scenery but I do have to say the bad snow year is evident everywhere. I've been going to snow belt areas on a Winter trip for 17 years now and I can never recall seeing so few snowmobilers because the conditions are so bad. Many trails are dirt and ice. The snow pack was unusually low everywhere. There was around 15 to 18" of snow on the ground in Houghton. They should have about 3 to 4'. I stayed in a remote area near L'anse (just outside the huron mtns and keewenaw) and had 8 to 11" in the yard. There was grass with just patches and piles of snow at the mackinaw bridge and in St Ignace when you enter the upper peninsula. My brother, who joined us on the trip coming up from Chicago, noted that once he got north of Green Bay (where they had a few fresh inches of snow the day before) there was absolutely no snow on the ground in northern Wisconsin for a stretch. This made me think of beavis's rants and how even north of 45 North it is not a good Winter. It's a stinker and they happen. Next year is practically bound to be a better pattern (though I'm sure there will be have and have nots). The most snow I saw was near Munising, a bit over 2 feet (last year they had 4-5 feet otg at this time). 

Climate change.  Next year you gotta go to Thunder Bay

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Very interesting that 1982-83 is minneapolis' snowiest Winter. That was a bad snow Winter just South of there in the Midwest. Sort of a similar set up to this year

1982-83, 2000-01, and 1964-65 have all been pretty similar analogs to this winter with the deep snowpack to the north and an active December followed by nothing south. 2001 and 1965 also had pretty snowy Marches as well, followed by major flooding on the Upper Mississippi. It will be interesting to see if the parallels continue into spring or not. And both 01 and obviously 65 were pretty active Aprils for severe in our region as well. 

• Like 4

On 2/20/2023 at 8:22 AM, MJO812 said:

I bet you are happy not living in NYC this winter . I don't even have 0.5.

That is awful. Maybe take a trip further upstate New York or Pennsylvania or something just to at least see some snow. I've had 20" but I still took a trip to the upper peninsula lol. I would have taken one even if it was a great winter here. It's good for the snow weenies mental health to get away to the Winter wilderness.

13 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

1982-83, 2000-01, and 1964-65 have all been pretty similar analogs to this winter with the deep snowpack to the north and an active December followed by nothing south. 2001 and 1965 also had pretty snowy Marches as well, followed by major flooding on the Upper Mississippi. It will be interesting to see if the parallels continue into spring or not. And both 01 and obviously 65 were pretty active Aprils for severe in our region as well. 

We had a blizzard in Feb 1965, it only dropped 11" but the winds were ferocious, and there were massive drifts. The 1960s were not that exciting of a decade snow wise here so that storm was by far the highlight of the decade

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Nov and especially December 2000 rocked here. Over 50 inches alone in December which to this day holds the top spot for snowiest month ever. That  November had held the top spot for snowiest November till this past November. Rest of the winter did kinda suck though. 

Thankfully I was living in the DC area in 82-83 which got slammed by what was referred to as the megalopolis blizzard in Feb with 18+. 

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nov and especially December 2000 rocked here. Over 50 inches alone in December which to this day holds the top spot for snowiest month ever. That  November had held the top spot for snowiest November till this past November. Rest of the winter did kinda suck though. 

Thankfully I was living in the DC area in 82-83 which got slammed by what was referred to as the megalopolis blizzard in Feb with 18+. 

Yeah Dec 2000 was awesome. The rest of the winter was zzzz city. Not sure about the overall national pattern tho. 

27 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yeah Dec 2000 was awesome. The rest of the winter was zzzz city. Not sure about the overall national pattern tho. 

If the warmer stuff had actually been a little warmer I wouldn't have minded this winter. The endless cloudy, drizzle and low 40s stink. What's keeping my grade up is the White Christmas and 21+ lake effect event in November. 

00-01 wasn't too bad back east where I was living for that climo anyways. 

• Like 2