• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

Media Delaware County temp all the way up to 55f was 37f 5 pm off an ESE wind wow!!  Waves of heavy rain whipped rain up to 1.23" of rain the sump pump which is a 3-foot basin has gone off three times since 8 pm.  Also saw a significant power flash about 20 minutes ago to my east general direction of Springfield Delaware County.  

I don't care if the models show 50" and 50 below zero, I will believe it when I see it.  I truly think we are heading for a shut out well almost here in Media we sit at 0.01" for the year. 

I tell you what a pathetic winter is. When it does actually snow nearly 3 inches  and the snow cannot even stay on the ground for longer than 8-12 hours. The snow cover is basically gone in the LV area.  We have had nearly 4 inches of snow this wonderful year and none of it has been on the ground 12 hours later. That should count for jack shite for snowfall totals  Its like pulling the rug out. Somebody please provide us posters who like a good winter season with info on when the last snow that was on the ground for longer than three days in the LV or SE PA.  Otherwise as far as I am concerned I am afraid this winter season is over even with yesterdays snow as I see no significant snow being on the ground longer than 24 hours on any model run period in the foreseeable future. In summation, winter is not a true winter unless snow is on the ground for longer than a week.

snow-on-the-ground.jpeg

• Weenie 1

Actually hit a non-diurnal high of 57 about 11:45 pm last night making that the high for yesterday and that temp persisted after midnight before a slow drop, potentially make that the high for today.

Picked up 1.37" of rain yesterday and 0.26" early this morning for a 2-day event total of 1.63".

Currently damp and 44 with dp 41.

After our largest snow event (0.8") of the year here in the philly burbs of Chester County PA yesterday turned to rain we ended up with a combined melted snow equivalent and rain of 0.94". We are now running 0.39" above normal in the rain department for 2023...however our seasonal snow of 2.1" is 12.6" below our normal snow totals through yesterday. Of note over in Philadelphia and New York City they have both yet to receive any measurable snow this season. NY has an excellent chance to set a new record for longest periods between snowfalls. Philly has a long way to go as they are only at 320 days with the record being the snowless winter of 1972-3 as they experienced 616 days between snowfalls.
We are well on our way to a Top 5 warmest January here in Chester County but we will finish well below the warmest January way back in 1932. Above normal temps look to continue through the end of the month (next Tuesday) with our next chance at showers likely by Tuesday night.
The record high for today is 75 degrees set in 1950. The record low is 1 below zero from 1922. The daily precipitation and snow record is 1.40" and 14.0" of snow that was part of the 2 day snowstorm that resulted in 16.0" of snow across the county ending on the 27th back in 2011.
image.png.abaf82c9a066d9211a170c177fa0bea5.png

11 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

52F now, damn, this winter is pathetic. The gift that keeps on not giving.

Why have the Superbowl in southern states, it's just as warn here. Currently 52F, this years SB in Glendale, Az and it's 55F... 

phenix.jpg

It's definitely been a colder than normal winter this year out here. I posted a photo from a golf course in Buckeye  AZ in the CPA forum where they had a dusting of snow Monday morning. Buckeye is about 15 to 20 miles west of Phoenix and is considered part of the metro area.

1 minute ago, JTA66 said:

12z GFS suppressed, but have we seen any digital blue modelled to our south this year?? I'll go with seasonal persistence and say the SER will trend stronger as we move up in time. I think we want the suppressed look for now.

It'll be "congrats Chicago" in 2 day's like the current CMC. Seriously though I think the 2 most likely scenario's are going to be either cutter or suppressed with the complete lack of blocking on the atlantic side. It's kind of a thread the needle situation for an all snow event because of that. It's probably our best chance in awhile though. Much better airmass in place though so if it cuts, should see a decent thump of snow/ice before the rain.

19 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

It'll be "congrats Chicago" in 2 day's like the current CMC. Seriously though I think the 2 most likely scenario's are going to be either cutter or suppressed with the complete lack of blocking on the atlantic side. It's kind of a thread the needle situation for an all snow event because of that. It's probably our best chance in awhile though. Much better airmass in place though so if it cuts, should see a decent thump of snow/ice before the rain.

If there’s a path to failure, we’ll find it.

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

Yearly snowfall amounts in LV and where we stand this year.  Pitiful as the snow we received yesterday is already gone. As far as I am concerned, its still a shutout as no snow has been on the ground for the entire day

plain.png

I'm surprised 2009 - 2010 didn't show up on your graph unless most of that was down this way. Here IMBY, I had something like 70" that blew past the 1995 - 1996 season and even the 2013/2014 season with something like 60" measured.

Well my "high" remains as the post-midnight temp of 57 and my "low" was 41.  Currently overcast after changeable skies started up this afternoon, and 43, with dp 31.

22 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Weather Sentry still has the Groundhog Day storm but way less miosture. 

What is wild are the opposite solutions from the EC and GFS for the storms.  They have all been honking at something that week so I think something is going to happen but the actual dates/p-types/amounts are all over the place!  The Canadian seems to tilt towards the EC 2/4 timeframe though.

floop-ecmwf_full-12z-2023012612.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus-01262023.gif

floop-ecmwf_full-12z-snow-2023012612.sn10_acc-imp.us_ne-01262023.gif

floop-gfs-12z-2023012612.prateptype_cat-imp.conus-01262023.gif

floop-gfs-12z-snow-2023012612.sn10_acc-imp.us_ne.gif

floop-gdps-12z-2023012612.prateptype-imp.conus-01262023.gif

floop-gdps-12z-snow-2023012612.sn10_acc-imp.us_ne-01262023.gif

7 minutes ago, Duca892 said:

Can’t decide if we are in a fairly ok spot 162hrs out or if I should already going “ Well F…” as the storm hasn’t really budged North much on the GFS at all

Not in a good spot imho. Not attm anyway. Just made a post in the mid atl thread. This is the range next 24-36 hours where these systems have morphed all season and I would be surprised if we didn't see this happen again. Unclear if for better or worse tho. For example, the GEFS individuals don't like next week at all. Either suppression city or misses N and W, not real in-between aside from using the mean blend which doesn't reflect that volatility which the ind members are showing..

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Not in a good spot imho. Not attm anyway. Just made a post in the mid atl thread. This is the range next 24-36 hours where these systems have morphed all season and I would be surprised if we didn't see this happen again. Unclear if for better or worse tho. For example, the GEFS individuals don't like next week at all. Either suppression city or misses N and W, not real in-between aside from using the mean blend which doesn't reflect that volatility which the ind members are showing..

Le sigh… a suppression depression storm might be the icing on top of this boring winter cake that takes me out until December

• Weenie 1