Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

^^^ and under 9 days away....what could possibly go wrong?

Difference is we're usually on the fringe of rain/mix/snow that far ahead (8-10 days). This map is all snow for the entire area and further S which give me a little bit more optimism...

41F/Mostly cloudy

32 and waiting for the pity flakes to rain. 

Looks like the 6z had something tasty for Groundhogs day, but we shall see if theres enough cold. 

Winters were fun on here. I loved reading everyones opinions on upcoming storms and such. With nothing coming though, the meltdowns aren't as fun to read about. 

My early winter call is stil holding BTW..  :)

We could see between 0.75" and 1.00" of rain today across the county with more in Southeast Chester County. We dry out and stay above normal through the weekend with our next chance of rain later Sunday night. There are signs of a cold and possibly stormy start to February.
The record high for today is 73 degrees from 1967. Record low is 2 below zero from 1935. Daily precipitation record is 2.54" and the daily snow record is the same day in 1905 as 25.4" of snow was recorded bringing the 2 day storm total to 29.0" of snow. That blizzard was the 3rd largest snowstorm in Chester County history behind only the 45.3" in the February 1899 blizzard and the 38.0" from the December 1909 storm. The 1996 blizzard is #4 on the list at 28.9" of snow.
image.png.de97bb4b948d26d72d156138a401af5f.png

Ray (40/70 benchmark) in the NE subforum mentioned this.  There have been a lot of lows transferred from the inland primary to the coast, which in a normal winter season would have given our area a lot of snow.  The problem so far has been a lack air cold enough to snow.  So far I have had zero snow accumulation. Twice there was snow in the air. :(  I hope this doesn't become the new normal in our area.

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Had popped outside about 10 minutes ago and you can smell the snow in the air although it's many miles away. LOL

Had a 29 low this morning and it's currently overcast and 37 with dp 27.

I was outside a little earlier and thought the same thing -- "smells like snow". Unfortunately, we know otherwise. :raining:

35F/DP 26F

13 minutes ago, wkd said:

Ray (40/70 benchmark) in the NE subforum mentioned this.  There have been a lot of lows transferred from the inland primary to the coast, which in a normal winter season would have given our area a lot of snow.  The problem so far has been a lack air cold enough to snow.  So far I have had zero snow accumulation. Twice there was snow in the air. :(  I hope this doesn't become the new normal in our area.

By the time they transfer, even if we had colder air, we would have been toast anyway.  The lows are getting north of Ohio.  

52 minutes ago, FPizz said:

By the time they transfer, even if we had colder air, we would have been toast anyway.  The lows are getting north of Ohio.  

I don't necessarily agree.  If there had been colder air, why would we have been toast? There have been numerous times where the primary low tracks to the lakes but there is enough cold air (often due to CAD) that the secondary low offshore produces a lot of snow in our area.  By the way, thanks for responding.  I wish we had more discussion (including Mets) in our subforum.  Ralph seems to be the only one attempting to do any  forecast analysis.   Thanks Ralph!

I don't necessarily agree.  If there had been colder air, why would we have been toast? There have been numerous times where the primary low tracks to the lakes but there is enough cold air (often due to CAD) that the secondary low offshore produces a lot of snow in our area.  By the way, thanks for responding.  I wish we had more discussion (including Mets) in our subforum.  Ralph seems to be the only one attempting to do any  forecast analysis.   Thanks Ralph!

Check out central pa thread. Very active there

• Like 2