• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Just now, mahantango#1 said:

Yea they will plow that little bit off the roads up here too, but when there's 3in or more of snow on the road the plows are nowhere to be seen

If it was going to be cold today, I would appreciate the plowing but as it is, this is mostly so they get to use their toys.  Ha.   The well-travelled roads are just wet, this is the development roads I am speaking about.  

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If it was going to be cold today, I would appreciate the plowing but as it is, this is mostly so they get to use their toys.  Ha.   The well-travelled roads are just wet, this is the development roads I am speaking about.  

I was referring to secondary and main state owned (PENDOT) roads up here.

• Like 1

Coating on the ground and 33ºF with light snow here , still some more patchy snow trying to push in from the NW

511 cams showing some grassy accums starting in the York/Lancaster area. Definitely doing better than I thought it would in the Sus Valley this morning. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Coating on the ground and 33ºF with light snow here , still some more patchy snow trying to push in from the NW

511 cams showing some grassy accums starting in the York/Lancaster area. Definitely doing better than I thought it would in the Sus Valley this morning. 

Yeah, like you I was pleasantly surprised on way into work.  Litiz/manheim areas were caving as I came in.  Just nice to see white landscape for a change.  

As you've been stating for some time now, hoping the midweek event front end continues to trend a tad colder.  That HP isnt stout, but hoping its enough that we can get enough OTG and hold it after we flip from white to wet.  

as the HRRR pic above suggests, the thermal profiles seem to be slightly improving as we get onto the mid week mauler.  While it still going to taint/transition for many/most, we've had these situ's where we get the front end snow, then fizzle out to snizzle/drizzle and avoid a washout.  While I'm not suggesting this is en route, it too is something to watch for as we get closer.  

Just not sure how much one can trust the HRRR well beyond range, but there are enough models eeking towards slightly colder onset, so I'd suggest keeping an eye on that trend as we hone in.  

• Like 1

Things winding down now but it was a beautiful snow globe of a scene here this morning.  Rates were actually pretty solid for quite a while and likely would have amounted to more had marginal temps not made for difficult surface accumulation.  As is, a big fat .1" is going in the books.  I'll take it and look forward to more on Wednesday.

• Like 2

local news also showed after this next weekend highs in upper 40s almost 50. No sign of cold air on extended forecast temps mainly in the mid 40s after. Why are models normally right when they show warming trend but often wrong when they show a cooling one? the cold air mass always gets pushed back a few days to a week then its just gone.

Just now, Ruin said:

local news also showed after this next weekend highs in upper 40s almost 50. No sign of cold air on extended forecast temps mainly in the mid 40s after. Why are models normally right when they show warming trend but often wrong when they show a cooling one? the cold air mass always gets pushed back a few days to a week then its just gone.

There are definitely signs of cold in the extended (models) albeit some 40's next week.  Whether it comes to fruition is out of my pay grade.  image.thumb.png.06d90ea7da589366ec735f2f6b2a20ca.png

2 minutes ago, paweather said:

Cutters giving us snow.....Interesting but will take it. 

State College added in the discussion that the airmass will be dry ahead of the precip which allows that initial slug to fall as snow.  Just gotta hope it comes in hot and heavy before the warm air wins out.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Things winding down now but it was a beautiful snow globe of a scene here this morning.  Rates were actually pretty solid for quite a while and likely would have amounted to more had marginal temps not made for difficult surface accumulation.  As is, a big fat .1" is going in the books.  I'll take it and look forward to more on Wednesday.

This is not going to be the vibe of a typical post of mine.

This winter is wearing on me. We had one snow at home (about 1") which I missed entirely while I was at work. It snowed a second time (about .25") while I slept and missed again. (though I did see some remnants in the morning. 

Today I started my day at home as I got home very late last night and had early meetings this morning, which I took from home. I was up at 5:30 and saw rain. It rained up until the time I left. Between 7 and 8 there was a mix, but it never flipped to snow (I clearly was lacking rates at this point) and it was never even close to moderate. On my way to work I did see the hills south of Wrightsville were VERY white...clearly more than a coating. The only other evidence of snow I saw was a little bit on Chickies between the trail parking lot and the day care center on the south side. Nothing at all anywhere else, and nothing at home other than some mixed flakes with the rain.

Happy that you got to see some nice snow falling. :) But this winter just flat out sucks. And there's nothing anyone can say at this point to convince me otherwise. I feel for those down here in the southern part of Lanco who are STILL shutout on the season. 

On to Wednesday...