• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

I haven’t been super impressed with today’s event in C-PA the last couple days. The separation between the decent area of moderate snows currently traversing Ohio and NW PA (with the weak parent low) and the later blooming coastal low is a killer for the central counties. Persistent good rates are needed where it’s cold enough to snow with the marginal temps and radar is fairly disorganized in this realm for now, though trying to blossom. 

Later on this evening is where we will see how quickly the precip shield organizes with the coastal. This especially looks good on meso guidance NE of UNV to IPT and NE PA but it remains to be seen for the I-99 corridor (AOO to UNV) and also if any change to snow can push toward the Sus Valley. Presuming we get a good shield set up, I think most accumulating stuff stays north and west of Harrisburg and will be pretty elevation dependent in that part of the ridge and valley (pretty much the region boxed in by I-99/I-80/PA Turnpike/I-81). Probably 1-2” type deal with advisory amounts starting NE of UNV. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I haven’t been super impressed with today’s event in C-PA the last couple days. The separation between the decent area of moderate snows currently traversing Ohio and NW PA (with the weak parent low) and the later blooming coastal low is a killer for the central counties. Persistent good rates are needed where it’s cold enough to snow with the marginal temps and radar is fairly disorganized in this realm for now, though trying to blossom. 

Later on this evening is where we will see how quickly the precip shield organizes with the coastal. This especially looks good on meso guidance NE of UNV to IPT and NE PA but it remains to be seen for the I-99 corridor (AOO to UNV) and also if any change to snow can push toward the Sus Valley. Presuming we get a good shield set up, I think most accumulating stuff stays north and west of Harrisburg and will be pretty elevation dependent in that part of the ridge and valley (pretty much the region boxed in by I-99/I-80/PA Turnpike/I-81). Probably 1-2” type deal with advisory amounts starting NE of UNV. 

Yes, the disorganization & separation is hurting this event. The better looks a few days ago had a little more organization, which is needed in marginal situations like today. 

30 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Hopefully the Wednesday event has a nice organized precip shield that attacks the just cold enough air to produce a good snow thump.

The 12z EPS remains steady for Wednesday.

I do like this storm to target the heart of the CTP region with a decent warm advection snowfall. The other ensemble blends are pretty similar to the Euro’s.  Storm is close enough that the Euro’s hourly products (out to 90) can see pretty much the whole event. The hourly was suggestive of a band to 1-2”/hr snowfall to come across C-PA during the late morning/early afternoon Wednesday prior to the mixing/dry slot.

My concern at the moment is for the southern tier LSV. Models like the Euro and NAM (at range) are having the bulk of this WAA snowfall swath roughly turnpike and north there and missing with the best rates at a time when it will easily be cold enough to snow there. Something to watch as this gets more into the short range. I still think everyone in the LSV sees at least 1”+ out of this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I do like this storm to target the heart of the CTP region with a decent warm advection snowfall. The other ensemble blends are pretty similar to the Euro’s.  Storm is close enough that the Euro’s hourly products (out to 90) can see pretty much the whole event. The hourly was suggestive of a band to 1-2”/hr snowfall to come across C-PA during the late morning/early afternoon Wednesday prior to the mixing/dry slot.

My concern at the moment is for the southern tier LSV. Models like the Euro and NAM (at range) are having the bulk of this WAA snowfall swath roughly turnpike and north there and missing with the best rates at a time when it will easily be cold enough to snow there. Something to watch as this gets more into the short range. I still think everyone in the LSV sees at least 1”+ out of this. 

Your second paragraph is what we saw several times over the last few years....the low went far enough west to have that first wave bypass us down south due to the angle of attack/width of the WAA band. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

12Z models continuing to trend warmer here in the southeast for Wednesday. I’m going to go against you and say I’m not seeing 1”.  I hope I’m wrong and you’re right!!

1 hour ago, GrandmasterB said:

12Z models continuing to trend warmer here in the southeast for Wednesday. I’m going to go against you and say I’m not seeing 1”.  I hope I’m wrong and you’re right!!

The SE edge of the blues is advancing northwest the past 24 hours. Might not matter for some but it means a lot for you and me.

My expectations are low for Wednesday. Very low.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

With a low in the mid-west that seems to be our fate either way.   No one I saw posted the Icon, can you blame them after how it handled this system, but it snowed for quite some time at 18Z.  Dawn to dusk in the LSV. 

Yes, 18z ICON & GFS both have a good approach angle with the precip shield for Wednesday for all of CTP.

1345400C-0F67-4CF0-9993-3BCBFD9FBA19.png

01FEB172-A226-439F-AC44-846988479D2C.png

1439F280-6F16-417E-AEAC-4D64AE062D59.png

• Like 1