Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

20 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The opposite of what I did while watching the Bills game on Saturday night. I wanted the immersive experience so i opened all the windows in the home and I dressed for buffalo weather!

Image result for Man Sitting in Room with Large Space heater

When I was somewhere around 8 years old and we had the snowless 80s (well nearly so) I decided to make my own snow.  I took my mom's talcum powder (this was before we knew it was dangerous lol) and I sprinkled it on our fans....desk fans, ceiling fans, everything, and turned them all on to make my own snow.  The end result was a layer of white on everything....the carpet, the bed, the couch, the sofa, the TV.....everything.

When they came home they wondered what happened....

I said LOOK IT SNOWED !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20+ years on this and predecessor boards and I've never asked this sort of question, but I'm desperate so here goes:  Relative has a flight from LI to FL tomorrow afternoon, returning back here late Friday night.  With respect to the timing of the storm impacts, those seem like maybe the least awful timeframes given the circumstances, but wondering folks' thoughts on the likelihood those flights will be impacted due to residual delays, impacts in other cities the planes might be coming from etc.  Maybe it's as much a bad weather travel experience question as much as a weather question.  Would really appreciate any insight!

2 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

20+ years on this and predecessor boards and I've never asked this sort of question, but I'm desperate so here goes:  Relative has a flight from LI to FL tomorrow afternoon, returning back here late Friday night.  With respect to the timing of the storm impacts, those seem like maybe the least awful timeframes given the circumstances, but wondering folks' thoughts on the likelihood those flights will be impacted due to residual delays, impacts in other cities the planes might be coming from etc.  Maybe it's as much a bad weather travel experience question as much as a weather question.  Would really appreciate any insight!

I'd expect some left over delays but it's impossible to know for sure. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Cutters to frigid to cutters are the worst. I'd rather it be mild if I know it won't be snowing. 

I’d rather it be mild too, it’s the extreme cold that I hate, but knowing there’s a warm up on the other side of this cold takes the sting out just a little for me.

I expect to see many more potholes after this rain + deep freeze, which always sucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North and West said:

Every generation thinks the generation following them in incompetent. This looks like something shared by an old lady on Facebook in all caps.

My kids love to cut grass and shovel. Not that they’re special, but because they enjoy it.

Same here.  The problem now, as much as it may also be true that fewer kids, generally, might be interested in venturing outside, is lack of opportunity.

When I was a kid, there was only one guy on the block with a snowblower.  Now it seems like 75% do, and we all take care of the 25% who don't.

Also, the days of the 15 year old landscaper with a nice clientele of 8 lawns are mostly over as it became tougher to compete with adults who could do the same at scale. 

Then there's newspaper delivery, where a similar thing happened.

I understand why all those things happened, but a definite side effect was less opportunity for kids to get some real life work experience.

• Like 2

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic