Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

3 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Says the guy who cranks space heaters so it doesn’t drop below 80 degrees in his room :bike:

You're absolutely right but it's just one room and it's electric heat.  The rest of the house is at 65. :-P  I do like when it gets mild because then I don't turn it on and I don't usually have it on during the day if it's sunny even if it's cold outside and even if I'm home because I get a lot of sunlight from two sides (east and south) so it heats up very quickly regardless of how cold it is outside during the day.

Need a bird species identification please....just saw a giant hawk or falcon right outside my bedroom window sitting on an overhanging bare tree branch.  It was a light to medium grey in color with a darker grey head a bright yellow downward curved beak and some spots on its chest.  It was large I'd say larger than a crow and thicker too.

We have other large birds here on the south shore (mostly sea gulls) but this definitely was not that and this is the second time this week I've seen this bird.  I hope it doesn't go after all the cardinals, robins, blue jays, doves and mockingbirds we have here.  One of my neighbors leaves meat outside for stray cats because she thinks they will chase away mice or eat them, maybe that's why this hawk or falcon is here?  She left a huge piece of chicken outside the other day for the cats :( and then she complained that they stole the paper plate she left it in too..... lol.  Maybe it was this bird that took it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Not without merit, there are scientific studies that have been done on them and proved that you are correct.

Sarcasm ;) I've also been following many of these issues for 50 years and have a pretty fair understanding of what's going on. In elementary school we got these science handout mini magazines that I was enamored with and a lot of our current climate issues were discussed long before they were fully understood but the people putting forth their ideas were mostly right. The transition period we've experienced over the last 30 years has pretty much proceeded on the schedule they proposed, not entirely but with the perspective that hindsight affords I'm not surprised by the results. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

People call solar energy an "intermittent" source of energy-- why?  The sun is powered by fusion and is always on all the time.  You just need to be able to access solar energy in space and send it down here.  We can maybe actually do that one day in the not too distant future by capturing solar energy in space and converting it to another form of energy, storing it and then sending it down here (as microwaves.)

Uh, of course it's intermittent.  Take today, for example, it was dark until just a few hours ago.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Uh, of course it's intermittent.  Take today, for example, it was dark until just a few hours ago.

No I mean the sun is always producing energy, we just need to be able to source that energy from space where it is unblocked by the Earth...the sun itself is not intermittent, the Earth is what makes that happen.

7 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Sarcasm ;) I've also been following many of these issues for 50 years and have a pretty fair understanding of what's going on. In elementary school we got these science handout mini magazines that I was enamored with and a lot of our current climate issues were discussed long before they were fully understood but the people putting forth their ideas were mostly right. The transition period we've experienced over the last 30 years has pretty much proceeded on the schedule they proposed, not entirely but with the perspective that hindsight affords I'm not surprised by the results. 

I like the Tip Over Point and their calculations for how much of the planet's resources humanity uses and we're using more than what the earth can produce so we are now using resources that were created in the distant past (in effect we're raiding the planet's savings account.)  We started using more than what the planet can produce back in the 70s and now Tip Over Day is in July (and keeps getting earlier every year.)

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No I mean the sun is always producing energy, we just need to be able to source that energy from space where it is unblocked by the Earth...the sun itself is not intermittent, the Earth is what makes that happen.

I was joking lol.  If you took me seriously then I gotta say that you showed considerable restraint and patience in your reply.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I remember those magazines and I loved them too!  And I convinced my parents to get a subscription to Scientific American, Sky and Telescope and Astronomy magazine when I was in 8th grade!

1 minute ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I was joking lol.  If you took me seriously then I gotta say that you showed considerable restraint and patience in your reply.  

Haha no it's okay, I know there are practical reasons why sourcing energy from space is difficult to do, but I think we're on the brink of doing something big (on multiple fronts.)  Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.....

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

We wasted a good long wave pattern this month. Hopefully, we roll the dice again on this look with some tweaks later in January 

Bluewave brought up good points about December.

The southeast ridge is being underpowered because of the warm water temps.

I thought the NAO was going to help us out here but it didnt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Bluewave brought up good points about December.

The southeast ridge is being underpowered because of the warm water temps.

I thought the NAO was going to help us out here but it didnt.

It connected with the ridge off the Atlantic and the nao pinned the tpv west of us. More concerning is the lack of 50/50 when we do get blocking 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It connected with the ridge off the Atlantic and the nao pinned the tpv west of us. More concerning is the lack of 50/50 when we do get blocking 

Models started to show this almost within days of the initial pattern showing up on models.   It was ignored but it became the determining factor in the end and we ended up with a couple of cutters and not much cold...anyone that says the warm NW Atlantic waters don't mean anything are fooling themselves...

• Like 4

Just now, Brian5671 said:

Models started to show this almost within days of the initial pattern showing up on models.   It was ignored but it became the determining factor in the end and we ended up with a couple of cutters and not much cold...anyone that says the warm NW Atlantic waters don't mean anything are fooling themselves...

It’s also doesn’t help that we can’t move the Rockies trough east. I hope that doesn’t become a regular issue this winter. The west has been in the freezer since early November 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

It’s also doesn’t help that we can’t move the Rockies trough east. I hope that doesn’t become a regular issue this winter. The west has been in the freezer since early November 

Yep Colorado ski resorts have had 7-9 feet of snow since then-one of their best starts to winter ever.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Yep Colorado ski resorts have had 7-9 feet of snow since then-one of their best starts to winter ever.   

Have you noticed there have been little to no mention of that in the SNE subforum?....now that is a great pattern that is ongoing not some mirage great pattern in model fantasy land..

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic