Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread

Carvers Gap

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The source region at 12z in Canada is very cold.  We have had those beautiful blocks up top on modeling for weeks, but the source regions was not great.  Now, the source region is cold, even by Canada's standards.  I was looking at an animation of the CMC(could have been the GFS) late in the run (n hemisphere view) where the cold is just pouring over the pole into North America from a very, very cold Asian continent.  

Yep saw that also.  That is something we rarely see in winter. It's very impressive for sure. 

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Just saw that there was a 40 year record low in Siberia. 

We really need a "wow" button.  The hot dog button just doesn't suffice when we are talking eighty below zero.  That is only a mere 110 degrees below freezing.   I bet when the temp finally gets above freezing there, people are walking around in shorts.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12z Euro dumps the cold westward which in what would be a wild look.  The differences at Memphis at 240 in re: to temps have to be staggering between the EURO vs CMC/GFS.  Euro looks like a feedback issue which we have seen before.  SER hooks into the NAO.  Somehow the cold gets under the PNA/EPO block...Not sure any of that is physically possible, but if there is a way for it to be 70F on Christmas, it appears the Euro has found it.  LOL.  Wild 12z suite.  There might be locals which differ by nearly 70-80 degrees in temps depending on model runs at the exact same time.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, John1122 said:

It's 1983/1989 cold as we head into Christmas per the 18z.

Indeed, definitely a strong signal for some wintery possibilities as we head into the Christmas stretch.  Having potential in early winter is always a huge bonus.  I’m just hoping we can get through the next 24-36 hours without any flash flooding events..  winds have been whipping all day today in east Memphis, you can feel that system pushing in.  Fingers crossed we avoid a gully washer 

• Like 3

18z looks just like modeling did for the 2020 Christmas eve snow event. Those strips of heavier snow in an anafrontal situation. I've noticed it often models anafrontal snow that way but we tend to all get closer to equal amounts when it happens.

That is immediately the event I thought when I saw the the 18z GFS. Almost 2 years to the day as well. This one might be on crack though compared to that temp wise.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, John1122 said:

18z looks just like modeling did for the 2020 Christmas eve snow event. Those strips of heavier snow in an anafrontal situation. I've noticed it often models anafrontal snow that way but we tend to all get closer to equal amounts when it happens.

Will never forget that event. That has to be my favorite Christmas weather event of all time! Heavy snow on Christmas Eve to the tune of about 4.5in and then snow showers all day on Christmas. Of which, the heaviest one was right when we sat down for the Christmas meal. Plus the temps to go with it. High was around 16 degrees and low of 6. Will be hard to ever top that but the 18z run was trying to make a run at it!

• Like 4

Will never forget that event. That has to be my favorite Christmas weather event of all time! Heavy snow on Christmas Eve to the tune of about 4.5in and then snow showers all day on Christmas. Of which, the heaviest one was right when we sat down for the Christmas meal. Plus the temps to go with it. High was around 16 degrees and low of 6. Will be hard to ever top that but the 18z run was trying to make a run at it!

I had 6.5” at my house and just a few miles down the road had 2-3”. Crazy stuff but that’s how it is living in Knox Co.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I had 6.5” at my house and just a few miles down the road had 2-3”. Crazy stuff but that’s how it is living in Knox Co.

There was also a pretty tight East to West gradient for this storm as well. I stayed at my folks in Anderson County and they got about 2 inches while the totals got higher as drove back to my place in Knox.  We had 5 inches at the house. That was pretty surprising. 

• Like 3

My concern is the cold overwhelming everything and it's cold but dry. I think we then wait until mid-end January for our next opportunity. I know it sounds crazy, but just my two cents 
Yeah my fear as well. The whole suppression city situation where storms are pushed to Cuba. However even in those scenarios the transitions at the beginning and end of the cold snap give chances historically.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Being a Relic, I've lived to see several white Christmas's . My all time favorite being 1969 with 10" Christmas Morning. 

Yep, I was 5 years old here in Montgomery County. The 1969 Christmas snow is my very first snow memory. We had 10 inches here as well which is close to the all time 24 hour record for Clarksville with 12 inches. That was my first memory of snow and one of the reasons I love it so much. Would love to have a white Christmas like that again.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic