Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread

Carvers Gap

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

At minimum, an upslope NW flow event looks on tap for next weekend.  I am definitely watching that slp pop just to our SE.  Something to watch.  Dare we say the pattern is almost in reach?

Yeah, should be at least a couple synoptic snow events the last half of the Month along with upslope events as well if the projected 500 pattern comes to fruition. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Looks like NW chances have diminished some today. Still a novelty event though. 

We will see where it goes, but I wouldn't give a lot of credence to the GFS right now. One run its a snowstorm. One run its a heatwave. The 12z had us in the upper 10s and low 20s 1am Christmas morning. The 18z has temps in the mid 60s at 1am Christmas morning. 

I don't think I've ever seen a model perform so wildly with basically every run. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

We will see where it goes, but I wouldn't give a lot of credence to the GFS right now. One run its a snowstorm. One run its a heatwave. The 12z had us in the upper 10s and low 20s 1am Christmas morning. The 18z has temps in the mid 60s at 1am Christmas morning. 

I don't think I've ever seen a model perform so wildly with basically every run. 

Its become complete utter junk, imo. It just shows any possible outcome run to run.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John1122 said:

If it could be believed (I don't believe it) the suppressed look and storms passing to the South is generally what we want at this range. Odd to see Miller A's just cross the Gulf and die but no more odd than anything else the GFS is selling today. 

Yeah the gfs has gone to crap. We are within 5 days of a pattern change and it cannot get it's head out of the sand. Pathetic. 

• Like 1

I liked the 0z GFS, it was fun! It actually maintained a bit of continuity at 6z in its med - long range, in there there is a general chance of cold and wintry weather. 

But it spat out a fun solution for the snow showers associated with the upper low late next week. You've heard of orographic lift snows in a NW flow, you've heard of an upper level cold pool causing instability, well... I give you positive vorticity advection snow from SW --> NE on the backside of a huge upper low!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611eea8c31bb25e043e22

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a7290896d17e5c9bee

Maybe it just counts as a clipper at that point? 

Rut Roh though, the Euro abandoned us to GFS despair at 0z:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a7433552fad547ff4b

It doesn't so much get sheared out as the GFS had been suggesting, as it is able to just move ENE. 

The CMC also took a jump NE and looks like a compromise between the 0z Euro and 6z GFS, but favors the GFS's depiction. 

EPS members took a hit a 0z too, but there are still a good number of members who see the opportunity:

plateau:

F6zrbEv.png

mts:

lGDH8pu.png

For those who like upslope, hopefully this is just a blip in these OPs and maybe the actual block will hold a bit better. 

*Holston cringes :yikes: silently since he is planning on being in Boone next weekend* 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There are ingredients (just spitballing) for a multi-wave over-running event for somewhere in the forum area sometime between the 17th and Christmas.  If the GEFS can be believed(huge IF), the over-running characteristic are readily apparent.  The gradient sets east-west over the forum area, and then the GOM moisture runs along it.  The CMC is suppressed, but it has been overdoing the cold of late.  Chance are that gradient is north of where it has it.  The ICON has that look.  Somewhere between the great bend of the TN River in Alabama and the Ohio...there is a chance for a gradient winter storm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am located in northwest middle tenn. I enjoy reading on here especially getting your updates Carver. Finally recovered my password where I could post again. I know our areas need different scenarios to score sometimes but I like to hear the thoughts of folks over here. Hope all of Tennessee can have a great winter. Would love to see snow non the ground at Christmas. Now I will go back to listening more and posting shorter thoughts in the future.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, snowmaker said:

I am located in northwest middle tenn. I enjoy reading on here especially getting your updates Carver. Finally recovered my password where I could post again. I know our areas need different scenarios to score sometimes but I like to hear the thoughts of folks over here. Hope all of Tennessee can have a great winter. Would love to see snow non the ground at Christmas. Now I will go back to listening more and posting shorter thoughts in the future.

Jump right in.  We need more folks from middle and west TN.  Looks like a nice set-up incoming.  Models are going to understandably have a difficult time.  Euro hangs-up the cold in the Plains - I think the cold gets further east and I would think its ensemble will show that.  This is the type of signal we saw when west TN got hammered a few years back.  

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic