Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

20 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Global OZ Euro has the late week storm but is a rain event for us.   

It would be a nice event for interior NNE and upstate NY.  We rarely fare well with an ULL in the Great Lakes.  I think it would have to be an almost perfect track for even 50-75 WNW of DC/Balt...But maybe it initiates or furthers along a pattern change.  

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm guessing that this is all a part of trying to figure out the strength of that block...

If you go back and compare the GEFS for example wrt "the block" (higher heights in the NAO), the NAO is actually waning/reloading while ridging is retrograding up top across the bridge from NAO>AO>EPO. Its quite the balancing act and all about timing. On this loop, pay attention to the trends near Greenland with ridging. Ironically, the energy underneath that we are looking at wrt any storm  moves into a better looking position near us. image000000.thumb.gif.c16494f3bd7e72aa04086c0c54d523d2.gif

It appears the better positioning of the energy moving thru the East is in part to some weak ridging trends centered over the Rockies also related to the retrogression of the HL "blocking" from NAO westward across Canada. You can also see a bit of a connection trying to happen with the higher heights in S Central Canada and the ridging near the Rockies.

So all one big balancing/timimg act and imho not an easy way to score along the coast or the big cities in mid Dec. Prefer more of a clean wave movement along a boundary under a more stable NAO regime than trying to play the timing game as things shift around, but we just cant know yet.

Just to add, the longer range EPO on steroids and weaker NAO (still negative mind you) with TPV hanging underneath has me being grateful for the colder anomalies finally, but also pondering progressive/cold/dry theme coming after next week. More on that later.

• Like 3

Looking at the advertised evolution of the pattern mid month and beyond, with h5 +height anomalies in both the EPO and NAO space, through wave interactions (specifically the amplifying EPO upper ridge) the models are once again indicating a TPV lobe cutting off underneath and becoming displaced southward over Hudson Bay. There have been hints of this on recent runs, but it's more prominent on the 0z GEFS. That's in a good spot and sets up the possibility of a more classic sustained NAO block with colder air on our doorstep. 

1671840000-bOBSafm4oBM.png

• Like 2

LWX…

Guidance has continued to trend slower with the mid-week system, making it more of a Thursday/Friday event. Latest 00Z guidance has trended away from a cutter low into the Great Lakes to more of a Miller B type set up with an overall deeper trough and better wave
spacing. The overall trend has been a stronger high to the north as well, which in turn will allow for colder than previously forecast air to make it into the region. Will continue to monitor, but wintry
precipitation is plausible areawide to end the long term, though more favorable west of the Blue Ridge.
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The 0z GEFS was already moving in the direction of a further south coastal low development. EPS as well.

And again the trend continues noted in my previous post. Watch the NAO and watch the retrogression of +height anonalies and how the connect with the PNA centered over the Rockies.

470766562_image000000(1).gif.c227005988aea522726d44425f86b3a0.gif

Good trend  nice to see. Still timing matters as all this unfolds up top allowing this storm to evolve.

• Like 3

I haven't looked this morning yet but I was bored yesterday and looked into the the few 12z EPS members that created a MA mauler late next week.  Every single one had a much weaker ULL especially as it started to to feel the block and dive SE.  06z gfs is a good representation of this.

06z gfs with 3 snow events and what looks like a good one setting up for xmas day. Snow on snow xmas day? Come on! EJ would lose his mind... :weenie:

• Like 2

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Lol a primary low that takes an Omaha to Chicago track and the becomes a Miller B off Wilmington NC and gives us a MECS :lol:

A hell of a lot would have to go right. The timing of the ocean low that merges with another vortex squeezed SE and becomes the 50-50, and the spacing between it and the low that is/becomes the storm is one critical factor. Need enough confluence, which impacts the surface high strength, and ofc a bunch of other subtle interactions we just cant know at this point. It could work!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

A hell of a lot would have to go right. The timing of the ocean low that merges with another vortex squeezed SE and becomes the 50-50, and the spacing between it and the low that is/becomes the storm is one critical factor. Need enough confluence, which impacts the surface high strength, and ofc a bunch of other subtle interactions we just cant know at this point. It could work!!

What could possibly go wrong….:)

• Haha 1

All jokes aside, what matters is starting to see ways to win. If the block is as advertised, feels like rather than primary cutting to chicago and re-developing off the Carolinas that maybe a primary into KY and then a jump to the coast would start to show up on some of the modeling as within the envelope of solutions…

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Well I’ll say this…I feel confident we haven’t seen the final solution yet for that storm. And crazy things happen with the kind of blocking advertised for next week. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Well I’ll say this…I feel confident we haven’t seen the final solution yet for that storm. And crazy things happen with the kind of blocking advertised for next week. 

Exactly. Gfs at 130ish hours ago had a potent coastal for today with 60kt winds along the coast. Sunshine out my window here

We are talking nationwide cold coming up with a gradual step down with temps, expect higher snowfall coverage in North America as we get closer to Christmas, and lower lattitude storm tracks.  Its been a long time waiting for holiday cold and tracking.  Rejoice :sled:

Fjh_nR_WQAAF1xV.thumb.jpeg.2c54a47f6e3bf9883bb53dbf27adee6e.jpeg

• Like 6