Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022

dmillz25

1 minute ago, the_other_guy said:

AN Nov and Dec with BN Dec snow during La Nina usually leads to a garbage winter, correct?

I’d much rather go into the rest of the winter in a Nina with a decent Dec snowstorm under our belt. Wouldn’t quite say “break out the shorts and flip flops” if we don’t but the odds go way down if it doesn’t happen. Nina’s generally become more hostile the further into winter we go. But supposedly this Nina is on its last legs finally and we have various competing influences so who knows. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EasternLI said:

Keep it coming....

1455562579_index(1).thumb.png.cde9689be18b875a0aa9c3723850cf41.png

560085836_index(2).thumb.png.2df959262d45c7461ba424841dadf18d.png

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9520656e95648cd584b9

It's kinda amazing to me that we have a pretty negative -ao/nao and still can't get cold lol. It shows you the importance of the pacific to be somewhat favorable. Not sure if a split would do us good with the above diagram you posted. This is my two cents. I believe we need to focus on the mjo and where the main convection is and what needs to happen to get it into the western hemisphere. If it stays in the eastern hemisphere, most likely we will be chasing unicorns all winter. Something to think about. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

It's kinda amazing to me that we have a pretty negative -ao/nao and still can't get cold lol. It shows you the importance of the pacific to be somewhat favorable. Not sure if a split would do us good with the above diagram you posted. This is my two cents. I believe we need to focus on the mjo and where the main convection is and what needs to happen to get it into the western hemisphere. If it stays in the eastern hemisphere, most likely we will be chasing unicorns all winter. Something to think about. 

What it shows is an overreliance on indices and the danger of obsessing over "patterns" when local weather is determined by a specific and unique combination of features at any given moment in time.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

The weather in our part of the globe moves from west to east, so ultimately the Pacific drives the outcomes. There are ways the Atlantic can mess things up with a big +NAO or force the pattern to slow down and amplify to give us our bigger snow events, but if we’re drowning in Pacific puke in the never ending assembly line, it doesn’t turn out well. 

8 hours ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

the "warming" of the -nao/-ao signal over time shows the impact of climate change moreso than the importance of the Pacific (also the Pacific is changing because of climate change.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jm1220 said:

The weather in our part of the globe moves from west to east, so ultimately the Pacific drives the outcomes. There are ways the Atlantic can mess things up with a big +NAO or force the pattern to slow down and amplify to give us our bigger snow events, but if we’re drowning in Pacific puke in the never ending assembly line, it doesn’t turn out well. 

well when we actually have important storms the weather moves from south to north or southwest to northeast.  when storms are weak it moves from west to east-- that's a boring zonal pattern.

North America is a puny continent, consider Asia, where no one ever talks about the influence of the Atlantic on their pattern, even though that is the Ocean to their west.

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

But wasn't the 13th always the target date?  Somewhere around that date was always supposed to be the first realistic possibility at snow.

Yes  But the GFS has been a blowtorch  The last week  And other guidance has been waffling back-and-forth. Guidance didn't even have the system for this weekend 2 days ago.  This Just popped up  CMC was the 1st to see it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, binbisso said:

Yes  But the GFS has been a blowtorch  The last week  And other guidance has been waffling back-and-forth. Guidance didn't even have the system for this weekend 2 days ago.  This Just popped up  CMC was the 1st to see it.

The system for the 12 is helping the heights to dampen for the midweek storm. It is looking more and more like a transfer situation for New England . After this the models have a colder pattern.