• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

Of all the recent December’s we have had, I’d say this look on guidance over the last few days is probably one of the better ones I can remember at this stage in late November. Of course it’s all perspective and since recent Decembers have been so bad, it’s easy to say that. However I do kind of like the look towards the end of the ensembles. Of course, we need to get that inside day 10. 

• Like 3

It would be tough.  I remember when growing up in NJ it went sub zero pretty much every winter.  It's quite the rarity in that area these days.

Still in shock at the number of you that have nj roots and got the hell out…

13-14 was the last time there were multiple sub zero nights in nj I think. There’s been the token one night here or there, but that was the last notable stretch. I think we did it several nights In a row or pretty close that year. I doubt the nj cities have done it in years. Big contrast to jay where we did multiple sub zero Days in a row last Jan.

14 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Almost looks more appropriate for November now. A cold rain for many on that type of solution where maybe the interior hills in N ORH county and monadnocks end as brief 34F noodles and places like VT/N NH mountains end as 3” of paste. 

Not to be a douche, but the NJ model idea isn't new for this thing.  I was trying to encourage the forum last week that the canvas hemisphere really supported the NJ look, rather than the stem-wound and/or Miller A... Nor the Lakes cutter, either - credit your dipping tendencies with -NAO for that.  So, gradually ... the models got that memo.  Fast moving more open wave that may or may not have some vestigial potency.  And you're right - perhaps the thermal profile being more not like 1987 (1986).  

Those were some NJ model low examples.  Marginal leading atmospheres. 

They could also just be called November model lows... they tend to be the favored flavor as the gradient starts to steepen and warm seasons initially resists..   

Anyway, ..as is, it's not actually even very marginal - although the 00z Euro sort of hinted, with that pocked 850 mb layout. 

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Looks active with cold nearby. Still early but as long as we’re not turning on the basement dehumidifiers in December, we’re in good shape. Just sit back and relax…it will come.

First widespread northeast coastal storm will be December 5-10

• Weenie 2

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Losing the first part of December at least . Don’t worry though.. Morch will deliver” ! 

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It'll be December by then. More than NNE should be getting snows

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Last year it was the first few days.. the year before the first few days… you get the point . Until the weenie is in your mouth about to glide down.. We will remain worried 

This is why I love this forum.....every November....rinse and repeat. :lol:

The funny part is if we had gotten a snow event last week, all of these same people would've said "We're wasting a good pattern in November!!!! It's going to turn to crap by mid December!11!!#2!"

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Looks active with cold nearby. Still early but as long as we’re not turning on the basement dehumidifiers in December, we’re in good shape. Just sit back and relax…it will come.

That will happen Christmas eve, The Grinch will hit the switch as he leaves a fresh pile of coal in the basement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like a milder than average  stretch overall coming up starting tomorrow. Thanksgiving will be seasonably cool. 

It looks like after 12/5 the pattern gets more favorable maybe add a few days to help set it in. At least this is how it looks today. That’s not bad considering how it looked last week. 

I love the progression of the pattern relative to climo.

• Like 4

Yeah so...I don't know what others thought are at this point.  I'm sort of in and out with holiday travel - 

But I see attempts to fumble around with the hemisphere and the -EPO may not be dead.  I don't see the recency with that index as necessarily an isolated occurrence in time - tho that could prove to be the case, I think less likely.   

I've felt this way all along, and the EPS is showing -EPO/western limb, but with cold loading pattern into western Canada with classic new and/or re-surge -EPO forcing after a week or so.  Meanwhile, the GFS operational...despite SE ridging, keeps sending NW mid and upper trop trajectories through western Canada - whether that is representative of a -EPO ..that is probably vestigial if not a nod to the EPS. 

I guess the short version is that I am not pessimistic as a winter enthusiast for December.  If the EPO does renew, ...yeah, I don't have a problem with sending a warm up through the eastern continent, at least for 3 ... *but* with the faster CC transition season velocity bias ..we keep having to seemingly/mandatory move into new regimes faster than initially thought. I realize that -ENSOs tend to x-y-z a winter to hell and back ...but I'm also becoming less of a fan of ENSO factorization in recent deltas/decade(s)/gradually

• Like 1

This is the 5 day mean on each ensembles suite....basically covers the first week of December (minus the first day or two)

GEFS looks more favorable than EPS, but EPS is still totally fine. In both cases, the Atlantic blocking is actually retrograding at the end of the run so it probably gets better beyond that.

Nov22_00zEPS5day.png

Nov22_06zGEFS5day.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Pattern looks like crap for snows outside of NNE. 

So far looking like a copy of 2021

Saying that this December looks like a copy of December 2021 is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard on this forum....stick to fondling your @snowman21 blow-up doll.

Wow...this is a run-of-the-mill RNA regime as currently modeled, which coupled with blocking in the polar domain has been historically one of the most fruit patterns for the northeast in terms of snowfall. Comparing this to last December is akin to (insert moron 5PPD) comparing every snowstorm to the blizzard of '78, or '96.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't understand the angst some have. Unless this collapses or is delayed, it seems like it's progressing right along. 

Sometimes a few people get confused and forget that climo in their backyard isn't Rangeley Maine. If we aren't covered with permanent pack by December 1st, we're "Wasting winter".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Last year it was the first few days.. the year before the first few days… you get the point . Until the weenie is in your mouth about to glide down.. We will remain worried 

Lol .. ya know... You talk a lot about weenies ... Is there something your not telling us? Lol

Anyway... Put on your big boy pants.. pull them up and be patient. Once we get that first big one.. you will be the first weenie at the front of the line.  ;-)

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, dryslot said:

Its the annual pull some down off the tobin season, Right on schedule, Trying to rush the season in.

The irony in this is that the pattern actually looks pretty good for early December....I wouldn't be shocked if we have a good system pre-Dec 10th. But apparently that isn't good enough....we need to have the once-in-40 year November biggie.

• Haha 3