Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Foliage 2022

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Leaves are changing here. Still mostly green but some color mixing in. Goldenrod is “past peak” for sure. 

Last nights 38* and several more forecast in the 40's for the week to come will get things moving in a hurry I think.  Either way, has me motivated to sweep my chimney and get ready for woodstove season in a few short weeks.  Beautiful today but too chilly/windy to zoom outside.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIC_WX said:

Last nights 38* and several more forecast in the 40's for the week to come will get things moving in a hurry I think.  Either way, has me motivated to sweep my chimney and get ready for woodstove season in a few short weeks.  Beautiful today but too chilly/windy to zoom outside.

Yep, agree. Things will move along quickly now. Tomorrow I’ll be putting away deck furniture in the shed, chopping wood and getting ready for that too (which I love). That and heading to Firewater for a few cocktails haha. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 4:36 PM, WxUSAF said:

Goldenrods are blooming and many tree species are starting to show some color. Cool air coming in this weekend should help as well. 

B978442B-53F4-4128-9F72-A63476603FBB.jpeg

B151713E-1F47-4D8E-BE8B-F3B0010763C9.jpeg

4F6B69D0-7053-493F-BB18-247F3518A6BA.jpeg

I was wondering which plant was responsible for the gorgeous golden waves along roadsides these days! Is goldenrod a native plant I can add to my garden beds? I'm good with it self-seeding. I just don't want to plant something invasive.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, diatae said:

I was wondering which plant was responsible for the gorgeous golden waves along roadsides these days! Is goldenrod a native plant I can add to my garden beds? I'm good with it self-seeding. I just don't want to plant something invasive.

Yes! There are also varieties of tickseed which have daisy-like yellow flowers blooming now. Both native. I have some goldenrod in my yard and it will self-seed, but not overly aggressively. Goldenrod is an important food source for south-migrating monarch butterflies as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Idk about the rest of the region but everything IMBY seems to be moving about a month ahead of schedule. My Dogwood started turning at the end of August and has quite a bit of red already. There’s a lot of yellows starting to show in the woods behind me as well.

This was the first summer in a long time where we didn’t have approximately 40 feet of rain so that may have something to do with it. :lol:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Yes! There are also varieties of tickseed which have daisy-like yellow flowers blooming now. Both native. I have some goldenrod in my yard and it will self-seed, but not overly aggressively. Goldenrod is an important food source for south-migrating monarch butterflies as well!

Awesome! Thank you!

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Definitely seeing some color here and there. I don't think there was any hint of it this time last year as we were in full second summer. Might be a 2 week difference.

Ah so that's why it feels so early! Seems like the past 3-4 years it's always been pretty late in October (and in 2018 it basically didn't happen at all, lol)

• 2 weeks later...