• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Banter 2022

George BM

Snowy19: No named storms all August = an epically cold and snowy winter for the mid-Atlantic and northeast urban corridor!

40N70W: @Snowy19 :blink: Umm.... you feeling okay?

Whiteoutgoosemonster: @Snowy19 JB? Is that you?

Snowy19: @40N70W@Whiteoutgoosemonster I second those questions towards myself. When did I become a winter weenie?:axe: Is someone controlling my thoughts and actions?! 

Maybe I am becoming JB...

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

If anyone is interested in joining a NFL pick em league ($30 fee for the whole season) please check out the thread for more information. This used to be just open to American Weather, however, given lack of signups this has been expanded outside of the form to hopefully draw a bigger participation. If you are interested or even have any friends interested please pass the word along! 

When is the best time to see the fall colors along Skyline drive / Shenendoah national park? 

I want to take my wife there. She’s from Vietnam and has never seen the fall colors, so I want to take her there one weekend. It’s roughly a 1.5-2 hour drive from where we live. 

How are the colors looking there so far, if anyone lives closeby?

33 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

When is the best time to see the fall colors along Skyline drive / Shenendoah national park? 

I want to take my wife there. She’s from Vietnam and has never seen the fall colors, so I want to take her there one weekend. It’s roughly a 1.5-2 hour drive from where we live. 

How are the colors looking there so far, if anyone lives closeby?

I can’t give you a report on this year, but in my opinion, skyline drive isn’t the best for fall color. Personally, I’d go to Canaan valley 10/10 times if given the choice. And, while the drive is longer, it’s worth it. Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls state park in Davis both offer good fall color viewing around the first weekend in October into that second weekend depending on a given years condition. And, if you’re driving something with some clearance you could go to dolly sods or Douglas falls near Thomas, wv which is only a few minutes from Blackwater Falls.  These areas in wv have a much higher concentration of maples than skyline drive. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, snowfan said:

I can’t give you a report on this year, but in my opinion, skyline drive isn’t the best for fall color. Personally, I’d go to Canaan valley 10/10 times if given the choice. And, while the drive is longer, it’s worth it. Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls state park in Davis both offer good fall color viewing around the first weekend in October into that second weekend depending on a given years condition. And, if you’re driving something with some clearance you could go to dolly sods or Douglas falls near Thomas, wv which is only a few minutes from Blackwater Falls.  These areas in wv have a much higher concentration of maples than skyline drive. 

+1 for this recommendation.  And that timeline is right (caveated for the year’s conditions, like you point out).  I wouldn’t be surprised if this year runs slightly behind schedule given the 8-14 day outlook continues the AN temps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I did Dolly Sods in May. Amazing. Would be way more amazing in Fall. Rough, slow drive up there, so be prepared. Totally worth it. It is like another world. (eastern Canada). The trails aren't very well marked so best to have something like  AllTrails app, and not the free version, as chances of getting a connection there is not good.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic