Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Staying Thursday-Sunday at the eastern slope inn 3rd week of Jan. We are skiing Friday and sat. 

Cranmores website I’d like $180 bucks for 2 days. Does that seem outrageous to anyone? Where would discounts be?

Its a multi mountain pass model these days. $90 a day is actually reasonable for a Friday and Sat (is that MLK weekend?). Might seem like a lot for some place like Cranmore but single day tickets are considerably pricier at destination resorts. 

5 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

Its a multi mountain pass model these days. $90 a day is actually reasonable for a Friday and Sat (is that MLK weekend?). Might seem like a lot for some place like Cranmore but single day tickets are considerably pricier at destination resorts. 

Someone’s gotta pay for Cranmores new lodge and hotels 

On 12/14/2022 at 7:27 PM, bwt3650 said:

Jet lift down at jay til at least Saturday. Bad timing for both Stowe and jay. I know there was a bashing of Stowe on the skiology Facebook group based on total false info by the guy who runs it and the “vail sucks” crew. Wonder if they’ll do the same for jay. There were comments like “I bet they didn’t do maintenance” by people who have no clue. Might be a good weekend to chase southern vt and catskills anyway.

There was so much cringe on that page when it only had a thousand people, can't even imagine now. No different than some dude on youtube making crypto videos, all about the clicks. 

Bummed to be sitting this storm out but still only about 7 weeks post-op and definitely not close to skiing yet. Hopefully in another 2 weeks or so, let the woods get some base in them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

There was so much cringe on that page when it only had a thousand people, can't even imagine now. No different than some dude on youtube making crypto videos, all about the clicks. 

Bummed to be sitting this storm out but still only about 7 weeks post-op and definitely not close to skiing yet. Hopefully in another 2 weeks or so, let the woods get some base in them.

Couldn’t agree more about that page. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, yeah stuff breaks. Mechanical parts in highly unforgiving environments and ski areas don’t just stock 100% replacement parts on their shelves.

Regarding the differences in skier opinions, a friend passed this along that was funny.

04642164-6104-498B-8287-618B5CE540E6.jpeg.82c7986bf8c1cef79de75955e7795c99.jpeg

I’ve been enjoying the Lookout Double though, going old school and it’s kept the majority of people away. Some skiers seem insulted they can’t get a high speed ride up to literally the same open terrain, ha.

Not ideal to be waiting on parts but at least there’s a lift that still goes there.

I really hope they don't replace the Fourrunner anytime soon but I think it is only a matter of time until this horrific thing gets installed and all the wind holds that go with it.

Sunday River to Install First 8-Pack Lift, Setting up Monster Terrain Expansion | LaptrinhX / News

Yeah, it’s too bad because the guy has some knowledge, but is focused on turning it into dollars and pushing political views. Lots of bitching and whining too.

Anytime you miss a two foot powder dump has to suck, but you might be back just in time for the goods if this pattern holds. Feel better, dude..

• Like 1

Nice to see the HRRR and NAM with 20-30" for Mount Snow and Stratton tomorrow. Anyone heading up?
I'm hoping that since the bulk falls by Friday afternoon Rt 9 and 100 shouldn't be too much of a sh*tshow Saturday AM. Temps should be in the 20s for most of the event which should prevent it from being a total blue bomb thankfully. 

Stratton on Monday for the leftovers.

On 12/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, bwt3650 said:

River quai is one of my favorite trails anywhere, but it doesn’t matter if it’s snowing 3” an hour, you are always scraping on that head wall.

Same with the top of Starr unless you are skier side left and all of the National headwall at Stowe.  I can think of a few times National's headwall was grippable because the snow was all natural, but it's rare

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Nice to see the HRRR and NAM with 20-30" for Mount Snow and Stratton tomorrow. Anyone heading up?

I'm hoping that since the bulk falls by Friday afternoon Rt 9 and 100 shouldn't be too much of a sh*tshow Saturday AM. Temps should be in the 20s for most of the event which should prevent it from being a total blue bomb thankfully. 

I’ll be at Stratton today-Sunday. I’ll give you the report later! Not promising at my house at 1,000’ so far with 2” of slop but another 1,000’-2,850’ may do wonders 

41 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Dutch is so much fun and a quick drive. Glad you were able to get some turns in! Hitting Magic tomorrow if they get power haha?

That was my first time there.  It's awesome, will be back.

I really hope Magic does well tomorrow but we'll be skinning the Beast I think.  Love the aerobic workout early season and actually excited for a couple good groomer runs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uncletim said:

Looks like a scary ski holiday coming up: bulletproof surface + holiday crowds + limited trail count. Recipe for tragedy and I hope resorts lean on the safety messaging.

Yeah pretty ugly setup for Christmas week. Doubt i'll be able to salvage even decent conditions at Stowe a week later when I'm there for New Years.

16 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah pretty ugly setup for Christmas week. Doubt i'll be able to salvage even decent conditions at Stowe a week later when I'm there for New Years.

Yeah need a natural snow storm to fix it usually.  Grooming and some random snowmaking help but it’s not like everything can be resurfaced.  It becomes tough with snowmaking too if expansion or resurfacing and how to allocate those resources.  Sometimes holiday week is just making sure as much as possible is open instead of snowmaking again on already open terrain.

• Like 1