Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The orthopedic surgeon basically talked me out of ACL replacement because of all the complications that nobody likes to discuss. That's a story for another post.

I'm no doctor so my opinion is worth very little, and while my ten year post op ACL knee is not perfect, I'm glad I had it done. Takes maintenance and I've definitely struggled with patellar tendonitis at times but I'm not limited by it in any way (for now). I'm sure you have your reasons and don't need advice from an internet stranger but ACL's these days are practically an outpatient procedure. The qaulity of physical therapy and long term motivation to maintain is what makes the difference imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

That's awesome! Looks like thing are firing there per usual. Are you using Indy pass? 

Am not. All of the Indy resorts are on the main island and we're heading to Hokkaido. Starting off at the base of Asahidake for a couple days and hoping to to ski that (weather dependent) or heading to Kamui or Pippu if the tram doesn't run. Then going to Furano for a few days of touring in the area followed by some lift served days at the resort. After that we're moving to SW Hokkaido and basing mostly out of Otaru. Cat skiing at Iwanai followed by some of the smaller resorts in the area. Going to mostly avoid the gong show at Niseko/Rusutsu, although I'm sure most resorts will be more crowded than usual given the recent re-opening of borders. 

• Like 2

Don’t shoot me . I’m not trying to be a downer, it’s somewhat historical for now . Stowe snow Stake at 10”. Second lowest for date. 

Yes I’m eager to go back out and ski , I’m hopeful that a near normal period in mid January will be sufficient for mountains to blow snow to resurface ..if much doesn’t fall in next week .

• Like 1

Don’t shoot me . I’m not trying to be a downer, it’s somewhat historical for now . Stowe snow Stake at 10”. Second lowest for date. 

Yes I’m eager to go back out and ski , I’m hopeful that a near normal period in mid January will be sufficient for mountains to blow snow to resurface ..if much doesn’t fall in next week .

I saw that..it’s bad. And 83 didn’t exactly turn around to anything great until April. I was looking through pictures from the past several seasons around this time and it really set in. We are literally struggling just to keep the ground white right now. I think we’ll upslope our way to some moderate snow over the next 7 days, but the woods are like starting from scratch here. Going to need a lot of work. I know it can change fast, so I’m hoping.

I have one hand on the door handle of the panic room ready to walk in and introduce myself.

• Haha 1

I don't generally talk about personal stuff on AmWx but I love and miss contributing to the ski forum.  In March 2021, I was at Berkshire East and my kid ran into me, getting off the quad and tore my ACL.  I knew at the time, something was ripped and assumed ACL.  I got the full mountain rescue sled ride down. 
It took about a week to get an MRI and my ACL assessment was correct but I also had hairline fractured my femur and tibia.  Since I had already walked around on them for a week,  the orthopedist said there was nothing else to do but use crutches, start PT at that point and go talk to a sports surgeon.   The orthopedic surgeon basically talked me out of ACL replacement because of all the complications that nobody likes to discuss. That's a story for another post.
The long and short of it is that I have barely done anything on skis since March of 2021.  There is a brace I am getting fitted for that will allow me to ski but certainly not woods or moguls.  I am just looking forward to getting back out on the slopes with my kid at the end of the month or early February.  I would have been back out sooner but I decided I was not diligent enough with certain rehab exercises and wanted to get fitted for the right brace. 
Anyway, that's my story and I am determined to get back on the slopes this year, even if I am just doing Green trails. 
Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear! Berkshire east took my acl too. I've only had about maybe 10 days on the snow in the past 3 years. Sucks. 3x last year. Zero so far this year. My gig there has ended, (long story, didn't really leave on good terms) so not sure if/ when I'll ever go back. On some level it makes me sad, I loved that place, and the Schaeffer's are good people.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

On 1/4/2023 at 3:46 PM, CT Rain said:

Any thoughts on how Sunday will be? Was thinking about either Mount Snow or Okemo?

Bring your edges. Groomers will do their thing so the earlier you get there the better. Should be scraped clean by lunchtime though. Okemo seems to have more open so that would be the better play IMO. 

Pray the cmc doesn’t hold up..the “shut ‘‘em down” quote gets thrown around a lot, but that depiction might actually shut some down. I don’t know how you even recover from 5” of rain and plus 15 temps. Thank god it’s 6 days away, but that might lead to historically bad ski conditions in Vermont. Gfs on the other hand, would be a nice gain up here.

6 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Was looking to hit SR tomorrow with the wife, but was blown away at the tix price, $143. Never seen it that expensive. We already purchased some tickets for Feb which were 75 per day, but that is for thurs/fri.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

As has been discussed, they are trying to force as many folks as possible to get season passes.

you really need to just plan dates and buy your tickets weeks in advance these days.

I miss the days when there used to be all sorts of cheap promo tickets floating around on craigslist etc.

As has been discussed, they are trying to force as many folks as possible to get season passes.
you really need to just plan dates and buy your tickets weeks in advance these days.
I miss the days when there used to be all sorts of cheap promo tickets floating around on craigslist etc.
We used to buy vouchers on CL all the time until they went to rfid

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We were able to hit Black Mountain and wow what a place. Absolutely loving it even if it is a couple trails for the time being. I cannot wait to get into the woods, we could see some amazing looking lines and areas on the ride up the chair.  We only got three runs in with this one but I felt like I had skied about 30 hard bump runs. She is still too small for the pack so I keep her in front of me and holding on to a pole and Im in a "pizza" form the whole time. Things hurt in my legs I didn't know could hurt.

No description available.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

We were able to hit Black Mountain and wow what a place. Absolutely loving it even if it is a couple trails for the time being. I cannot wait to get into the woods, we could see some amazing looking lines and areas on the ride up the chair.  We only got three runs in with this one but I felt like I had skied about 30 hard bump runs. She is still too small for the pack so I keep her in front of me and holding on to a pole and Im in a "pizza" form the whole time. Things hurt in my legs I didn't know could hurt.

No description available.

BMOM is the best. The MRG of Maine

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Is there anything like the stuff out beyond Paradise at MRG (e.g., "Three Cliffs" or "Octopus Garden")?

Nothing quite on that level but there are some fun cliff bands in the woods skier's right of the triple. Not as much to explore as MRG but as I'm sure you saw, doesn't take much snow to make things "in".

• Like 1

Just keep checking out west... I love that they are now at 300+ inches so far this season for the Wasatch, they are issuing Winter Weather Advisories for like 10-20" of snow and locally higher in the Cottonwoods.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING
TO 5 PM MST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 16
  inches with 10 to 20 inches in the central Wasatch and Uintas,
  locally higher amounts in the Upper Cottonwoods.
  • Like 1