Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,182
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Benjamn3
    Newest Member
    Benjamn3
    Joined

July Banter 2022


George BM
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Gonna suck at divisionals today. The heat will be rough. Hey, @mattie g make sure you get your swimmers to hydrate and stay  in the shade. 

I grew up at Crofton Country Club. My sister and I were on the swim team for years. I remember very well being in the heat all day Saturdays waiting for my heat. Congrats on divisionals. I went to Podonia for 100 free style and I think 50 breast stroke. Our relay team got like 8th once too. I'm 43 and still love the water. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

As an Orioles fan and hence an anti-Sox fan, this is an amazing highlight. Inside the park grand slam in Fenway.

 

Like the announcer said, the CF looked like a real boob in that clip: not only did he not clue the RF/LF into the fact that he totally lost the ball (which happens), but once he knew the ball had landed way behind him, he didn't make a step after it (which should never happen, at this level certainly). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Came back around midnight. Nextdoor talking about a pole down on York about 10 miles from me. Guessing an accident. Sorta amusing this keeps happening about three hours after I've gone grocery shopping and re-stocked the fridge for the week...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2022 at 6:37 AM, H2O said:

Gonna suck at divisionals today. The heat will be rough. Hey, @mattie g make sure you get your swimmers to hydrate and stay  in the shade. 

Ended up not being too bad for the kids. The pool we were at has a ton of trees, so they were shaded most of the time. The spectator side, on the other hand, was brutal. Rep area was in the kiddie pool and we had canopies galore.

It was a long day, but a fun one. We finished with a lot of great swims (including one team record) and we’ve got some kids in All Stars…so it was a great way to finish up most kids’ seasons.

How’d you / your team fare?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mattie g said:

Ended up not being too bad for the kids. The pool we were at has a ton of trees, so they were shaded most of the time. The spectator side, on the other hand, was brutal. Rep area was in the kiddie pool and we had canopies galore.

It was a long day, but a fun one. We finished with a lot of great swims (including one team record) and we’ve got some kids in All Stars…so it was a great way to finish up most kids’ seasons.

How’d you / your team fare?

Only one kid of mine swam but dropped time in both her events. Not all star but big enough to show that some side work and lessons with an older swimmer paid off. Worked first half shift which was fine by me. Done before it got hot and could watch other kids we are friends with. 
 

Overall we have 8 kids going to all stars. Had a couple locked to go and a couple surprises. It will be a big group for us. We usually have 3-5 max. One kid is top seed so that’s good exposure for the pool. 
 

Congrats to you and your swimmers that made it in!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2022 at 8:03 AM, North Balti Zen said:

Came back around midnight. Nextdoor talking about a pole down on York about 10 miles from me. Guessing an accident. Sorta amusing this keeps happening about three hours after I've gone grocery shopping and re-stocked the fridge for the week...

Murphy tends to do that. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, H2O said:

Only one kid of mine swam but dropped time in both her events. Not all star but big enough to show that some side work and lessons with an older swimmer paid off. Worked first half shift which was fine by me. Done before it got hot and could watch other kids we are friends with. 
 

Overall we have 8 kids going to all stars. Had a couple locked to go and a couple surprises. It will be a big group for us. We usually have 3-5 max. One kid is top seed so that’s good exposure for the pool. 
 

Congrats to you and your swimmers that made it in!

Good stuff! You can definitely tell when kids have been working hard, and those side lessons really can help. Glad that you got your gig out of the way early. You could see some of the second shift folks struggling at our meet.

My girl dropped nearly two seconds off her free and back (which she says she hates) - good enough for 7th and 6th, respectively. She absolutely killed her backstroke turn, which is what got her the first place in her heat. For a kid who has nary a competitive bone in her body, she does a damn good job in the pool!

Eight kids and a top seed in All Stars is amazing! We have four kids in (two will be swimming two strokes), none of which are major surprises; however, our 9-10 girl made it in as the 18th kid in IM (she's also in Breast), which was surprising because her swim definitely wasn't her best. I'll probably go to watch some of their swims and to just experience All Stars.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve been meaning to ask: was it hard getting a camera on the roof? Any issue from the neighbors? 

Not too bad.  As you can see from the picture, I ended up mounting the camera on my anemometer pole which I’ve had up for almost a decade.  I have two different roof levels, the lower one with the roofline going to the chimney is over a carport.  It is pretty easy to get up there and get to the peak roofline.  I have it as a gable-end mount via this type of pole (https://ambientweather.com/amwewe.html).

I have an 8-camera Reolink surveillance system.  Power-over-Ethernet so I did spend a good amount of time in the attic and crimping my own ends on the cables.  The run to the “skycam” was actually a lot easier because I could go out the attic vent.

The impact on the neighbors is negligible because the elevation distance going that direction means that the closer neighbors aren’t in the line of sight.  They know I have other cameras too, but I’m friends with all of them so that makes it more comfortable.  And none of them are pointed directly at another house.

 

6B1DDFA4-3193-4EA2-9FF9-4AE3F0FC5105.thumb.jpeg.b6ac526a9f171d6713c4055d86daaee0.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rain tomorrow, but still going to HersheyPark.   They are closing the Wildcat and tomorrow is the last day to ride it.   Hopefully the rain stays away long enough for me to get one last ride in. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

Rain tomorrow, but still going to HersheyPark.   They are closing the Wildcat and tomorrow is the last day to ride it.   Hopefully the rain stays away long enough for me to get one last ride in. 

 

wildcat was my first rollercoaster ever

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

wildcat was my first rollercoaster ever

Mine too many years ago.  it is really too rough now that it is older and these old bones feel beat up after riding it a few times. 

 

I also had the date wrong.  The last date to ride is is 7/31, not tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

Mine too many years ago.  it is really too rough now that it is older and these old bones feel beat up after riding it a few times. 

 

I also had the date wrong.  The last date to ride is is 7/31, not tomorrow.

We last went in 2019 and I rode it. Was terrible. So rough lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Mine too many years ago.  it is really too rough now that it is older and these old bones feel beat up after riding it a few times. 

I also had the date wrong.  The last date to ride is is 7/31, not tomorrow.

Wow....this is sad, Wildcat is a great coaster. To @mappy's point....it's definitely gotten to be a rougher ride over the years. Really....Hersheypark is probably my favorite East Coast park for roller coasters. I could ride the Great Bear ALL. DAMN. DAY.

A close second preference for great coaster variety is Busch Gardens Williamsburg....I think the Alpengeist there is my all-time favorite coaster, followed by Apollo's Chariot. Wasn't a great fan of the Griffon, after I let my sons drag me onto it. I just have a thing/preference for suspended coasters.  ;) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Wow....this is sad, Wildcat is a great coaster. To @mappy's point....it's definitely gotten to be a rougher ride over the years. Really....Hersheypark is probably my favorite East Coast park for roller coasters. I could ride the Great Bear ALL. DAMN. DAY.

A close second preference for great coaster variety is Busch Gardens Williamsburg....I think the Alpengeist there is my all-time favorite coaster, followed by Apollo's Chariot. Wasn't a great fan of the Griffon, after I let my sons drag me onto it. I just have a thing/preference for suspended coasters.  ;) 

Hershey added a new coaster when you enter the park last year.  My daughter wants to get me on that tomorrow.   Luckily with her season pass, we get in an hour before everyone else.  :-)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...