• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022

bluewave

I'm 48 years old, my parents are 70 and my grandmother is 98 - Never have they heard of school being dismissed early due to thunderstorms. I'm pretty sure we have all gone through thunderstorms WORSE than what's forecasted for today. Our culture is just over the top in regards to fear.  At this point we should all NEVER leave the house. 

So you post about the tornado - Now what if students died at HOME from the tornado instead of school? It's unhealthy to live this way. 

7 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

I'm 48 years old, my parents are 70 and my grandmother is 98 - Never have they heard of school being dismissed early due to thunderstorms. I'm pretty sure we have all gone through thunderstorms WORSE than what's forecasted for today. Our culture is just over the top in regards to fear.  At this point we should all NEVER leave the house. 

So you post about the tornado - Now what if students died at HOME from the tornado instead of school? It's unhealthy to live this way. 

It’s also unhealthy to die this way.  You’re entitled to your opinion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

It’s also unhealthy to die this way.  You’re entitled to your opinion.

If you want to see what a tornado can do take a ride down to Fort Washington PA.  Get off at the exit from I276 for Rte 309.  Take a ride up Fort Washington Ave and then up Limekiln Pike.  This tornado happened last summer however there is still plenty left to see.  Homes with tarps still on their roofs, damage to a school, many large trees snapped in half about 20 to 30 feet off of the ground.  There are actually more tornado damage paths then I can count in that region.  We are living in a new climate regime and the old idea that tornadoes are just a mid western thing has been completely blown away.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snywx said:

Kids being dismissed at 12:15 here.. first time I’ve ever seen this. 

The school district people are being proactive about this.  If you analyze the potential risks that are being accounted for when schools are closed for a winter storm and compare those to the risks that a severe weather situation can bring to the table I think it is actually a fairly easy decision.  The fact that the school districts now have the remote learning piece in place seals the deal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

If you want to see what a tornado can do take a ride down to Fort Washington PA.  Get off at the exit from I276 for Rte 309.  Take a ride up Fort Washington Ave and then up Limekiln Pike.  This tornado happened last summer however there is still plenty left to see.  Homes with tarps still on their roofs, damage to a school, many large trees snapped in half about 20 to 30 feet off of the ground.  There are actually more tornado damage paths then I can count in that region.  We are living in a new climate regime and the old idea that tornadoes are just a mid western thing has been completely blown away.  

We have the same type damage from last year in the town of Newburgh area and across the Hudson to the Fishkill area in Dutchess county.  Agree with seeing more tornado activity in the area. 

56 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

Never in my life have I seen this - My kids school just called and are dismissing early based on the severe weather forecasts.  We are a WEAK people, pathetic.

if a tree falls on a kid during dismissal time the district is getting sued to oblivion

• Like 2

We’ll back to the weather, new meso out

Mesoscale Discussion 0782 NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK 1101 AM CDT Mon May 16 2022 Areas affected...Far Northeast VA...Eastern MD...DE...NJ...NY Hudson Valley Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely Valid 161601Z - 161800Z Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent SUMMARY...Increased thunderstorm coverage is expected over the next few hours, with supercells capable of damaging wind gusts and hail possible. DISCUSSION...Recent radar and satellite imagery has shown an increase in the showers from northern VA into NJ, with a few stronger embedded updrafts. This area is indicative of the increased ascent preceding the shortwave trough and attendant cold front. Air mass over most of the region has warmed into the low 70s amid dewpoints in the mid 60s. While cloud cover may impede heating somewhat, this air mass is still expected to further destabilize over the next few hours. As it does, a few stronger updrafts may manifest within this warm-air advection regime. Moderate shear is in place, so any stronger, more persistent updrafts could organize, and the potential for a few supercells capable of isolated hail and damaging wind gusts exists. Greatest chance for severe thunderstorms during the next few hours appears to be across NJ and into the Hudson Valley where temperatures are highest. Convective trends are being monitored across the entire region for likely watch issuance. ..Mosier/Grams.. 05/16/2022

34 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

:lol: pun intended ?

I think the school dismissal rationale has to do with putting kids on buses during severe storms. I grew up in GA and we never had early dismissal due to storms but there were several times where we were held at school late due to severe storms and tornadoes.  The days of piling into a school hallway and assuming the position is a distant memory. 

There’s also the liability aspect which is higher these days compared to the 80s and 90s. 

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Prob by the same people calling everyone weak. 

Sued yes, but the “Act of God” defense, and the Tort claims act, amongst others, would be in play.

Prudence is reasonable, but there is also a fair point to say we’ve never had early dismissals for thunderstorms.

I think your point of remote learning comes into play here; we experienced that this last winter with our school district being a bit too eager to go remote.

The times, they are a changin….

In any event, we just had a heavy rain shower, with one rumble of thunder, come through. Mostly cloudy now.