Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,173
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Michael Butler
    Newest Member
    Michael Butler
    Joined

March Medium/Long Range Discussion


WinterWxLuvr
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Warm-season crops like tomatoes and peppers can't be planted before the end of April, if even that early. You're just asking for all your hard work to go down the drain if an even relatively benign cold snap hits in the middle of the month. Other things like broccoli, lettuce, and peas are colder-weather crops and can easily handle an early-season frost / freeze or two.

Yeah that’s pretty much it. Things like corn, beans etc here will get planted around the first of May. Tomatoes etc, May 10 is the date usually. 
 

KOKV has had 2 years in the past 5 with a freezing temp as late as May 9-10. In 4 of the last 5, it has had mid 30’s in and around the 15th with at least one as late as the 17th. Mid 30’s at KOKV is a guaranteed freezing temp in the higher valleys north and west of town.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

My God Smarch is coming in with a vengeance starting Saturday. Could be multiple days with sub-freezing lows next week. Highs look to be in the 40s for most days as well. 

Figures… ugh 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That's gotta be a sick april fools joke right?  Give me a SE ridge or at least CONUS zonal flow.

The CFS sniffed out this look 10 days ago.

The recent run of 60s and 70s will make this a rough period for many.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The CFS sniffed out this look 10 days ago.

The recent run of 60s and 70s will make this a rough period for many.

Seasonal depression will kick in that week for me.  

I'll just stick my head in the sand and look ahead to brighter times :)

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_62.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Seasonal depression will kick in that week for me.  

I'll just stick my head in the sand and look ahead to brighter times :)

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_62.png

As long as it isn't cold/wet/dreary, it won't be that bad. It won't last that long, and if we get partly sunny days it will just feel like nice Fall weather. The cold mornings with frost might be a bit of a pain, but it's too early to start growing most plants/veggies anyway. Knowing what's to come just down the road, I am good with a few days in the upper 40s to low 50s. With sun, it probably won't be any colder than that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

As long as it isn't cold/wet/dreary, it won't be that bad. It won't last that long, and if we get partly sunny days it will just feel like nice Fall weather. The cold mornings with frost might be a bit of a pain, but it's too early to start growing most plants/veggies anyway. Knowing what's to come just down the road, I am good with a few days in the upper 40s to low 50s. With sun, it probably won't be any colder than that.

What I think is fascinating is that it's almost April already....September will be here before we know it and the talk of another winter will be upon us. The world is spinning awfully fast these days

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

What I think is fascinating is that it's almost April already....September will be here before we know it and the talk of another winter will be upon us. The world is spinning awfully fast these days

Seems to be a function of hitting an age where a lot of your life is in the past and not as much in the future. The endless hot, humid summer will slow things down some.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Seems to be a function of hitting an age where a lot of your life is in the past and not as much in the future. The endless hot, humid summer will slow things down some.

To quote Kate Hepburn in On Golden Pond.....we are just middle aged.....to quote Henry Fonda's response....we don't live to be 150 years old Ethel we aren't middle aged damnit! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Seasonal depression will kick in that week for me.  

I'll just stick my head in the sand and look ahead to brighter times :)

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_62.png

Hope that pattern sticks. Gonna be on Cape Hatteras the 9th - 16th, hoping for 65-75 and sunny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

As long as it isn't cold/wet/dreary, it won't be that bad. It won't last that long, and if we get partly sunny days it will just feel like nice Fall weather. The cold mornings with frost might be a bit of a pain, but it's too early to start growing most plants/veggies anyway. Knowing what's to come just down the road, I am good with a few days in the upper 40s to low 50s. With sun, it probably won't be any colder than that.

But what about wind? If it's windy then it'll be really f'ing annoying.

What I find funny is that in September and October we're ALL rooting for this because of the hope that it springs for the winter to follow (and because it just feels damn nice after the summer heat), but come late March/April, most of us are just wanting this kind of weather to F right off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes whenever it's windy here from mid-November through early April, the answer to the question: "Snow storm in (interior) Maine?" is usually yes

I usually root for a warm October - it seems to be  correlated with a cold/chances-for-snow winter.  Of course, I'm sure the correlation if it exists is 0.1 or so. 

It'd be kind of cool to watch opening day in a flizzard - but other than that I'm ready to move on too. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

But what about wind? If it's windy then it'll be really f'ing annoying.

What I find funny is that in September and October we're ALL rooting for this because of the hope that it springs for the winter to follow (and because it just feels damn nice after the summer heat), but come late March/April, most of us are just wanting this kind of weather to F right off.

We do wind almost as proficiently as heat. Both are annoying after 5 mins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...