• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.

Typhoon Tip

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I can certainly understand the reticence there ... if for no other reason, seasonal trend to bang butts within an inch of sanity just before beginning the butt banging.... heh

But this is maybe the first event this entire cold season that featured a major polar high drapery sitting over top like that.  I mean, already there ... prior to this baroclinic bowing back N beginning at 72 hours... It's not like moving in as the high is moving in(out) and we're dealing with races.  Unless that changes appreciably in future guidance - which can ... yup - for now, we are not driving a primary to NY state with that +PP/BL resistance in place.. And it's dense air - it's in the single digits in Watertown NY (GFS/Euro) next Friday at 12z ? 

Mm... hope... this is not going west of the Hudson.  Physically can't do that ... to mention, the confluence is there anyway.    If for some reason in hades all that and that high suddenly correct tremendously well ...okay - not much we can do about that.  

Anyway, the actual cyclogen mechanics are weak in this.  But the BL resistance is very high.  So that primary dying and the quasi Miller B translation is really just response to not being able to move a weaker circulation through the dense cold air.  It's correct relative to its own synoptic metrical layout.

Interesting, good take. Let’s hope we can trend it to more of a coastal then.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I can certainly understand the reticence there ... if for no other reason, seasonal trend to bang butts within an inch of sanity just before beginning the butt banging.... heh

But this is maybe the first event this entire cold season that featured a major polar high drapery sitting over top like that.  I mean, already there ... prior to this baroclinic bowing back N beginning at 72 hours... It's not like moving in as the high is moving in(out) and we're dealing with races.  Unless that changes appreciably in future guidance - which can ... yup - for now, we are not driving a primary to NY state with that +PP/BL resistance in place.. And it's dense air - it's in the single digits in Watertown NY (GFS/Euro) next Friday at 12z ? 

Mm... hope... this is not going west of the Hudson.  Physically can't do that ... to mention, the confluence is there anyway.    If for some reason in hades all that and that high suddenly correct tremendously well ...okay - not much we can do about that.  

Anyway, the actual cyclogen mechanics are weak in this.  But the BL resistance is very high.  So that primary dying and the quasi Miller B translation is really just response to not being able to move a weaker circulation through the dense cold air.  It's correct relative to its own synoptic metrical layout.

Yea, gotta watch for full-on Miller B. I justed noted in my blog that Euro hinted at that,  but just something to keep an eye on for now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, it will overdo the ratios to the north.

Pulling for you to jackpot over the rest of the local area down south.  SWFE are your bread and butter, you've got climo on your side in this look.

That area of N.MA/S.VT/S.NH seems to like to max out on SW wind aloft pumping WAA over top the colder southern extremity of the dense air lodged at the surface.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-5812000.thumb.png.a327d5b58e96757b9e326071aa933803.png

• Like 1

Just a quick note....unless we some significant commitment towards faster redevelopment so that this is more of a Miller B, I would take some of these OP runs that are going try to drop over a foot with a big grain of salt. 12z EURO tried to do this. Pretty good rule of thumb is that you need the conveyor belt mechanics of closed mid level lows to the east in order to achieve that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Just a quick note....unless we some significant commitment towards faster redevelopment so that this is more of a Miller B, I would take some of these OP runs that are going try to drop over a foot with a big grain of salt. 12z EURO tried to do this. Pretty good rule of thumb is that you need the conveyor belt mechanics of closed mid level lows to the east in order to achieve that. 

Yeah my earlier thoughts of someone possibly getting 18 is a long shot. The kuchera maps would show more but like you guys were saying earlier with the mid levels not being great those aren’t the way to go. The Canadian looked a little more aggressive with the secondary redevelopment which is a good sign.

29 minutes ago, George001 said:

Even if this doesn’t turn into a full blown Miller B, the models aren’t really showing much of a dry slot. A dry slot shutting off the precip early would lead to lower snow totals like some of the earlier Euro runs that maxed out at 6-7 inches.

Who cares what models show....unless the coastal closes off through H7, the precip will shut off relatively quickly. 

I don't need models to tell me the sun will be up by 7.

• Like 2

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.
  • dendrite unpinned this topic