• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

This run looked close to or maybe a little warmer than 00z to me.

Be careful comparing because this run looks slower so there's a lag with the WAA when comparing the same valid times.

For those of us on the edge in terms of winter qpf 12z was a bit less robust with taint.  0z was colder than prior runs but again only for those of us on the edge (pike region).

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Be careful comparing because this run looks slower so there's a lag with the WAA when comparing the same valid times.

More snow in the colder front end, less ice in the warmer back end each run, trend is colder in heaviest precip. Shows up well in soundings,

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

For those of us on the edge in terms of winter qpf 12z was a bit less robust with taint.  0z was colder than prior runs but again only for those of us on the edge (pike region).

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

More snow in the colder front end, less ice in the warmer back end each run, trend is colder in heaviest precip. Shows up well in soundings,

Kinda noise to me at this point, but the midlevel primary lows were a little more west. Just something to keep an eye on. You can kinda get caught in a pretzel comparing runs with these this far out with timing/advection/forcing differences.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Being on the edge at this lead time is not a good thing.  I'd be much more comfortable along/north of RT2 than the Pike.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kinda noise to me at this point, but the midlevel primary lows were a little more west. Just something to keep an eye on. You can kinda get caught in a pretzel comparing runs with these this far out with timing/advection/forcing differences.

I didnt post soundings but again more precip in snow sounding means colder to me, comparing precip in cold air to cold air thats all. NARCAN is a lot higher than Pivotal. 4.5 days out looks like a thumpity thump before 7h warms to ice. 850 never does. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It was Warmer. If he’d look he’d have seen. Bad trends for snow lovers BOS south today. Still time to reverse  though 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It was Warmer. If he’d look he’d have seen. Bad trends for snow lovers BOS south today. Still time to reverse  though 

You are not understanding more snow soundings in heavier precip. I looked hard, you glanced as you already have your mind made up just like the last 2

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I get the fact that the snow thump depends on deep enough antecedent cold and a solid WAA leaf.   After that goes we either drizzle after a short anount of sleet or we’re done.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah I get the fact that the snow thump depends on deep enough antecedent cold and a solid WAA leaf.   After that goes we either drizzle after a short anount of sleet or we’re done.

This run definitely had a healthier thump than 00z. I don’t care if it’s warmer aloft if it’s producing better precip on the front end. I’d rather 8” and then sleet/ZR than staying all snow with the same amount. 

I’d be surprised if we stayed all snow in this unless the whole vort track trends about 75-100 miles south of current guidance. But the key is having that front end WCB with a bent back WF to produce. Sometimes, you get a more shredded precip look on the front end and you’re done after 2-4” even if the profile is colder initially…12/16/07 is a good example against some system like 1/28/09 or 1/11/09…the latter two had better antecedent airmasses but the former produced more snow because we really ripped on the front end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He’s now Mr Boston . Guy runs the city .. Especially in met world 

TV Met? Ah, no wonder he needs to pimp warmth. City people hate snow. Makes sense now. Every TV met talks up warmth because the grannies who still watch the 6 PM news hate snow. It keeps them from going to church and the store.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

TV Met? Ah, no wonder he needs to pimp warmth. City people hate snow. Makes sense now. Every TV met talks up warmth because the grannies who still watch the 6 PM news hate snow. It keeps them from going to church and the store.

Yeah I actually think he’s a solid tv met here. But they all kind of have to play up “nice” weather and torches…esp during the cold season when most normal people hate the cold and snow. Only sickos like us want it. 

Though up in your neck of the woods it’s a little more balanced because a lot of the economy is driven by winter sports in the cold season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He’s now Mr Boston . Guy runs the city .. Especially in met world 

He said that "If you like snow, it's best not to live in a valley downwind of a hill". Basically the reality that even our region has mini-rain shadows. I am for one frankly surprised that 1000 or 1500 feet ASL is enough to do it. But SOMETIMES it is.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I actually think he’s a solid tv met here. But they all kind of have to play up “nice” weather and torches…esp during the cold season when most normal people hate the cold and snow. Only sickos like us want it. 

Though up in your neck of the woods it’s a little more balanced because a lot of the economy is driven by winter sports in the cold season. 

We've learned not to shit talk snow in our discussions/social media lest we get the hill folk backlash. ;)

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My MIL watches Portland news when she is up here and even down there they talk about snow as some cumbersome annoying thing that will disrupt everyone's day and needs to melt as fast as possible. She likes that kind of hard hitting news reporting being from Baltimore. LOL

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.
  • dendrite unpinned this topic