Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2022 Atlantic Hurricane season

StormchaserChuck!

23 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The GFS shows some solid 500 mb vorticity where the system is now, but over the next 5+ days it shows a bunch of mid-Atlantic troughiness continually trying to yank it north and pull it apart.

Yeah, far from a slam dunk imo. That said, I’m a little wary of the gfs having so much troughiness out there. It seems to try to roll a lot of dubious stuff up.

• Like 1

Yeah, far from a slam dunk imo. That said, I’m a little wary of the gfs having so much troughiness out there. It seems to try to roll a lot of dubious stuff up.
GFS continues wanting to develop the Carribean disturbance which counters upper ridging with a TUTT thereby inhibiting favorable conditions for the Atlantic system. The ECMWF is completely opposite with no WCARIB development thereby allowing a nice upper level pattern to develop downstream for a hypothetical hurricane nearto or north of the Greater Antilles.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
18 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

GFS continues wanting to develop the Carribean disturbance which counters upper ridging with a TUTT thereby inhibiting favorable conditions for the Atlantic system. The ECMWF is completely opposite with no WCARIB development thereby allowing a nice upper level pattern to develop downstream for a hypothetical hurricane nearto or north of the Greater Antilles.

I still think that Caribbean disturbance has a chance, but I’m not as bullish as the GFS lol. 

17 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

And we usually would think the EURO is the better model so we go with that one lol... but this tropical season, who knows?

• Like 1

I am curious, I don't have easy access to individual GFS members, if the GEFS that aren't spinning up a spurious significant Gulf low are the same ones that have the Central Atlantic wave as a hurricane N of the E. Greater Antilles next weekend.  GFS ensembles do seem to be backing off from a Gulf system, I suspect that trend continues, and as the GFS loses the Gulf not-a-cane, they'll get even more on board for an E Coast storm or late curving fish storm.

7 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

At 180 hours it's booking wnw toward the Bahamas and there is nothing but strong ridging across the US and into the western Atlantic.  It has nowhere to go but west.

Well, I guess I have to take that back.  After 180 hours a very strong ridge pops over sw/sc Canada, and in response a trough forms over se Canada.  That trough is far away from the cyclone, but it weakens the west-Atlantic ridge so the storm is slowing and turning nw.

5 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Boy, the western Atlantic ridge to the north of the storm vanishes in a flash at the end of the run.  What initially looks like a free run to the coast turns into a northeastward escape.

It was like It hit a brick wall Fishy fishy fishy

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Boy, the western Atlantic ridge to the north of the storm vanishes in a flash at the end of the run.  What initially looks like a free run to the coast turns into a northeast-escaping storm.

This isn't really surprising that's been the pattern basically since early July strong WSW to ENE flow basically Southeastern States to Outer Banks out to sea that's been one flow and then well north another fast west to east flow across the Great Lakes into the Northern Mid Atlantic then moves ENE from there, that has been the biggest reason for the drought Mason Dixon Line Points NE to Southeastern New England. It is very dry up in these regions right now obviously unrelated to tropical system but to the pattern that will steer it.  

My two cents probably at this point it is a 50/50 whether it turns north and moves out sea or cuts across the Bahamas across south Florida and into the Gulf.   In our pattern over the past 4-5 weeks, I would say moving West across south Florida into the Gulf would be my pick due to the ridge placements up north and the upper air lows that were passing south of Cuba recently. 

At 10 days out the ensembles are probably a better guide, for individual perturbations at the surface and, for steering, the ensemble mean.  Be interesting to see what the GFS/GEFS will do once it loses the Gulf not-a-cane.   Having the two major models correctly seeing the system in 2 or 3 days will set the real threat (or fish) area. My takeway from the 12Z GEFS is that it is starting to lose the unlikely Gulf system.  The GEFS that do develop this are tending fish.