Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

26 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

That makes sense. Like I said, it was definitely a storm for the ages, but I just laugh every time someone from Southeast Michigan claims to remember 6 feet of snow or something lol. If you want to remember the storm for its fury, winds, drifts, and falling temperatures great. But when they say things about how much snow fell, it's never been matched, blah blah it's all a fairytale. In Western MI? Absolutely.  Eastern MI has had countless storms with higher snowfall amounts since then. But again, conditions seemed brutal. 

We're too far from the ocean to have that sort of moisture transport north. 

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

I'd bet money the EURO's totals will end up closer to correct than not.

you mean you think a general 5"-10" event is more likely than a 20"-30" accumulation in the heart of the main band of heavy snow? I'm betting that way as well.

2 minutes ago, Baum said:

you mean you think a general 5"-10" event is more likely than a 20"-30" accumulation in the heart of the main band of heavy snow? I'm betting that way as well.

EURO shows a widespread 8-12" on the map I see.

A 10-15" event (with narrow banding of slightly higher amounts) seems reasonable to expect, IMO.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Gives more people a big storm but gets rid of the epic storm for someone.

the gfs huge amounts are what happens when whoever gets the overrunning also gets the max of the storm that forms on the front.  That's how we scored 22" in March'08.   We got about half from the overrunning and then there was a several hour lull and then the storm came up and dumped the rest on us.    So the gfs is totally plausible, the prize is bigger but the winners circle is smaller.   Euro is a nice storm for a large part of the sub.   

• Like 3

A question for the experienced folks here: what factors would we be looking for to materially shift the track either north or south with this heavy snow band? Of course there's the Canadian HP which would force a southerly track if it comes in stronger / northerly track if the HP is weaker ... what other flies could we find in the ointment?

Just now, Kaner88 said:

A question for the experienced folks here: what factors would we be looking for to materially shift the track either north or south with this heavy snow band? Of course there's the Canadian HP which would force a southerly track if it comes in stronger / northerly track if the HP is weaker ... what other flies could we find in the ointment?

Depends on what portion of this stretch you're talking about... The overrunning portion or the main storm.

Foe areas around northern IL/IN, there will be some melting of existing snowpack in the hours prior to this storm.  Extent of that tbd.  The early stages of the storm looks like it could be a wetter type of snow with marginal thermal profiles, which would at least lay down/replenish a base for the windy/fluffier part.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Have never cracked 16 inches in 42 years here. Total depth has, but not from one storm.

GHD Il? I know I cracked that as did Josh? The hard to crack number here is 24 which hasn't been done since 78. 67 was the other which was as someone else noted basically a qpf bomb and thus why such widespread 18+ amounts from IL to MI which is rare in this part of the world and the only reason I don't totally discount the GFS. Chances are slim of that sort of thing but not zero. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Jonger said:

There was one here in the late 80s that supposedly topped 2 feet. I was living closer to Det and it wasn't as impressive there. 

The recent Buffalo storm is about as perfect of a synoptic setup as you can get for epic snow amounts.

*Closed upper level low

*Negative tilt trough

*Rapidly deepening gulf low

*Strong 850mb Jet (TROWAL)

*No blocking to force coastal transfer

A system along those lines seem to be like a unicorn these days in the western half of the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley.

With this sysyem, the key will be getting favorable thermals to align with the best forcing, getting the best forcing to train over the same areas for the storm's entirety and for the best forcing to not end up so far above the DGZ that snow ratios take a hit.

• Like 2

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic