• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

Bonkers seeing ensemble mean totals like that.

The operational 18z GFS is nearly an all time weenie run for my backyard. It would be incredible to have such a garbage season drop a monster storm of even half of what was is modeled there. I know it has happened to Chicago in recent years, but I've missed out on most of the fun in recent Februarys.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Trying to think of analogs with a substantial anafrontal/overrunning pcpn event followed immediately by a decent closed sfc low storm.

One that comes to mind is pre-Christmas 2004, though the axis of max snow was much more N-S than whatll likely end up with this storm.  Nothing else pops to mind.

Will be one for the books if the GFS is right.

I think that Dec 2004 storm is a good comparison to what we are seeing on some model runs, at least from the 21st century.  Though the mega totals would probably be farther north than that one IF it were to play out.

The GFS, GGEM, prior Euro runs are unlikely/rare outcomes, but not impossible.  High end totals like that are not without precedent in certain spots in the region.  Whether or not any particular person here has seen that in their backyard before is not super relevant.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Trying to think of analogs with a substantial anafrontal/overrunning pcpn event followed immediately by a decent closed sfc low storm.

One that comes to mind is pre-Christmas 2004, though the axis of max snow was much more N-S than whatll likely end up with this storm.  Nothing else pops to mind.

Will be one for the books if the GFS is right.

March '08   that crushed you guys

I thought about Dec 04 too.   That was a rare one that came east at the last minute and had a strong high pushing behind it.   But similar idea.  

19 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Not surprised. By tomorrow it will have the snow shield on Gulf coast then up to Canadian border. It had today's nor'easter out to sea a few days out. Lol

:lol:

I'm almost to the point of setting myself up for disappointment. I can't get excited yet, maybe Monday afternoon/evening but Ma Nature hates me. Did good GHD 1, but I just can't see Chicago not getting the best of it again. I remember when they got a T'storm warning and a 1" hail report with the thundersnow. 

I'm thinking 6-10" will be a safe call here unless there is a significant NW shift which has happened many a times in NAM range, and we just got into the long range there.

Either way I'm sure we'll double our current season totals. Would only take 2.6" here....

28 minutes ago, andyhb said:

QPF output on some of these models is nutty. Not very often where you talk about such a moisture laden system that lasts awhile, but this could be it.

The elite big dogs in the Midwest generally last the better part of 36-48 hrs at a given location, which could happen this time too *if* things play out right.  Helps to make up for not getting the insane 4"+ per hour bands that happen on occasion in nor'easters.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, andyhb said:

QPF output on some of these models is nutty. Not very often where you talk about such a moisture laden system that lasts awhile, but this could be it.

I remember one situation in the early 80s as a kid (lived in Utica MI area at the time).  It was a stalled/slow moving boundary I recall 3 significant waves over a 3-4 day period.  1st was all snow (very wet 4-6").  2nd wave was snow to mostly snow/rain ended as drizzle (didn't accumulate more than a very sloppy inch or so).  The final wave was the largest which was rain to mostly snow (again a heavier wet snow) which we got about 11".  QPF was a good ~3" amount.  Unfortunately I can't remember exactly when it was.  The part I remember most is wondering how much snow it would have been if all or mostly snow with better ratios.  I remember here of much better totals in the area I now live around Fenton/Holly.  It was an event to remember the event cause it lasted days.  :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

:lol:

I'm almost to the point of setting myself up for disappointment. I can't get excited yet, maybe Monday afternoon/evening but Ma Nature hates me. Did good GHD 1, but I just can't see Chicago not getting the best of it again. I remember when they got a T'storm warning and a 1" hail report with the thundersnow. 

I'm thinking 6-10" will be a safe call here unless there is a significant NW shift which has happened many a times in NAM range, and we just got into the long range there.

Either way I'm sure we'll double our current season totals. Would only take 2.6" here....

I think you're sitting pretty for this. Because you get hit hard on the more northern GFS and the more southern Euro. Happy for you. I know you are long overdue. Just hope it isn't a complete miss here. I hope I can at least cash in nice on first round of overrunning precip but would be nice to get the main event wed into thurs as well like gfs has but not holding my breath. Ha

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Thanks for the input! I just honestly don't get the lore locally about the blizzard of 78. Clearly it was a storm for the ages but when people here start talking about oh the snow was 6' deep and crap like that it's just ridiculous.. There's rarely even a mention of the 1974 storm which literally dropped twice as much snow at Detroit. And hell we just had a 17" storm in 2015 and someone would still bring up the damn 9" storm of 1978.  

I was thinking about Josh if we somehow got >24" from this system this coming week.  Many people in Detroit would still think 1978 had more there :wacko:  1978 storm was an epic storm for surrounding areas but for Detroiters it is a legend in their own mind :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I was thinking about Josh if we somehow got >24" from this system this coming week.  Many people in Detroit would still think 1978 had more there :wacko:  1978 storm was an epic storm for surrounding areas but for Detroiters it is a legend in their own mind :D

You just had to be there.  The only thing even close to that in these parts was January 2014.  You need to understand that snow was not the big/deadly part of that storm, but the extreme wind and cold.  How old are you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

You just had to be there.  The only thing even close to that in these parts was January 2014.  You need to understand that snow was not the big/deadly part of that storm, but the extreme wind and cold.  How old are you?

When the storm hit I was 7.  Josh and I are specifically talking about the snow totals.  I totally understand the storm was epic but for Detroit area snow totals were anything but epic.  We have had much biggest snow totals.

10 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

You should also read my post about me being there!!

22 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I think you're sitting pretty for this. Because you get hit hard on the more northern GFS and the more southern Euro. Happy for you. I know you are long overdue. Just hope it isn't a complete miss here. I hope I can at least cash in nice on first round of overrunning precip but would be nice to get the main event wed into thurs as well like gfs has but not holding my breath. Ha

WPC's FB map from earlier on 4" snow and .1" ice accumulations has general l9cation good for both, or all 3 counting @Chambana.  I was most surprised by the ice map, figured .1" would be easy for a longer stretch along the OV. I just don't want a sleet fest with the backside cold coming in. That would absolutely suck.

FB_IMG_1643491115758.thumb.jpg.2a7879c04d3853ecc2a46058cfea402d.jpg

• Like 1

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic