Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

49 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Nope.   On this threat (assuming it's truly crapping out) we are seeing changes 2-3 days out-in March 2001 it busted at hour 6-12

If memory serves re March 2001, I remember something along the lines of there being consensus maybe like 6 days out, then at about 4-5 days out that solution disappeared, and was replaced with consensus for a substantially different solution, which generally every model / everyone ran with right up until 18 or so hours out when it was apparent it would bust, only for places out east to end up with 15+ anyway.  Am I remembering that right?

31 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

This is what happens when the vort digs into the SW too much. It messes up the phase. Everything becomes more progressive. That could ruin this whole thing. Northern stream is ready to play ball. But it can't do it all alone. 

We are golden for a good storm

• Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

If memory serves re March 2001, I remember something along the lines of there being consensus maybe like 6 days out, then at about 4-5 days out that solution disappeared, and was replaced with consensus for a substantially different solution, which generally every model / everyone ran with right up until 18 or so hours out when it was apparent it would bust, only for places out east to end up with 15+ anyway.  Am I remembering that right?

something like that.     I think NYC got an inch or two in the end.  Had about 10 out here but a far cry from 18-24 predicted

Just now, Brian5671 said:

I wonder if they are getting some new data....

Not being facetious when I say this, but they are always getting new data. Thus we shouldn't be surprised to see waffling around. Especially in this set up.

2 minutes ago, Jt17 said:

Not being facetious when I say this, but they are always getting new data. Thus we shouldn't be surprised to see waffling around. Especially in this set up.

I should have phrased that better-new data meaning something came ashore that was not previously sampled.

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I think that's our best bet

I'm probably going to be labeled as crazy, but, we're not that far away from a much stronger solution, even with the 18z NAM showing what it is showing. 

The H5 phasing rules this entire storm and there is so much energy bouncing around, that models are going to have quite the hard time handling it. I would say just sit tight. We're not done yet. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

We are golden for a good storm

Not sold on that yet. I could be on board tomorrow though depending on how this shakes out. Not sold on this failing completely either. Thinking these unfavorable trends will stabilize and possibly some better trends tomorrow. We'll see. Delicate setup for this. 

1 minute ago, Euripides said:

Didn't Boxing day blizzard models two days prior go out to sea only to come back the day before.

I still remember Janice Huff saying an inch or two and was like wow you did not check the updates.

Think it was a full 48hours when it came back. I remember being at the bar and seeing it pop back up on models on my BlackBerry lol.

1 minute ago, Euripides said:

Didn't Boxing day blizzard models two days prior go out to sea only to come back the day before.

I still remember Janice Huff saying an inch or two and was like wow you did not check the updates.

We had a lot of blocking that winter and managed 3 actual KU/ big events, though they were not all in the same areas; I got about 32 Boxing Day, 9 during the one that mostly affected CT, and 19 a few weeks later. Then it was over by then end of Jan.

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

Think it was a full 48hours when it came back. I remember being at the bar and seeing it pop back up on models on my BlackBerry lol.

My bad as I am off an extra day so when I watched her the blizzard was back on maps and weather boards but she did not realize it yet giving forecast 24 hour prior to it. 

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

We had a lot of blocking that winter and managed 3 actual KU/ big events, though they were not all in the same areas; I got about 32 Boxing Day, 9 during the one that mostly affected CT, and 19 a few weeks later. Then it was over by then end of Jan.

Boxing Day was my favorite storm of all time, and I was a kid for 96. Still like my memories of 2010 best out of all the storms I've seen here in NJ the past 30 years. Was in North Brunswick at the time.

5 minutes ago, Euripides said:

It was modelled to happen at 6 days, started to vaporize at 4 days, popped back up as Janice was giving her the update that NYC was getting 2 inches.  

This is not boxing day.