Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

9 hours ago, George001 said:

I disagree. We have seen a trend towards more big ones yes, which explains why seasonal snowfall averages have increased. However, it seems like it’s harder and harder to get marginal systems to go our way. I do think climate change is a big part of this, as the warmer oceans help beef up storms, which helps us get more big ones. However, a warmer background state also works against us in more marginal events where we don’t have those dynamics. Although snowfall averages have increased here, they have decreased in areas to the south. The earth is getting warmer, and the rate of that warmth is accelerating. There’s a reason why every year we hear “this year is a top 10 warmest year on record”. 2021 was tied for the 6th warmest year on record in a goddamn raging La Niña. La Niña is a cyclical weather oscillation that favors COOLER average global temps, yet last year still was one of the warmest on record globally. You aren’t wrong about cyclical weather cycles, but climate change plays a huge role as well, and that role is getting bigger and bigger every year. 

The Earth has been spinning for over 4 billion years. The "warmest year on record" trope that encompasses a couple hundred years is absurd. But it makes for an excellent sound bite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 9

12 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Meh. The winters are getting disrupted, period.

Making climate numbers off over producing minor systems that are benefitting from a theta-e bloated ambiance, meanwhile winters leaving huge potential consummately untapped … is a weirdly reduxing behavior and is different.  And a random Feb or Mar that didn’t leave as much on the table …? Yay  Those are exceptions to the rule and don’t abase the longer term.

I can’t allow myself to hide behind climate numbers to avoid admitting an unwanted change - that elides the reality. 

You are correct 

• Like 2

Some suggestions for how to boundglobal warming conversations in pattern threads:

1. The earth is warming and it is unprecedented for at least a few thousand years.  This I don't think is scientifically deniable.  Also, the warming is being driven largely by human activity.  I don't think this is scientifically deniable.
  2. What we do from a public policy perspective is very debatable, and that is a political conversation and not for pattern threads.
  3. Climate change is overused as an explanation for what are fairly normal shifts, for example decadal changes in things like the NAO or the EPO.  These sorts of shifts would be happening regardless regardless of global warming.  A particularly severe individual hurricane, for example,  shouldn't be explained as being because of climate change.
  4. Climate change can't be used to explain everything in weather.  Pretending that it isn't really happening is at least as ignorant.
  5. The impact of a warming climate on baseline climate norms and how that could affect forecasts, for example the ever-growing Hadley Cell that threatens to take over the world, is relevant to pattern discussion.  The notion that hurricanes have more heat energy to work with and thus the hurricane season might be longer and feature more severe hurricanes is relevant, because the warming oceans have more heat content with which to feed hurricanes.  TThis last bullet point represents the kind of content I think we should include in the pattern threads when warranted.  The prior 4 bullets just provoke political polarization.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Some suggestions for how to boundglobal warming conversations in pattern threads:

1. The earth is warming and it is unprecedented for at least a few thousand years.  This I don't think is scientifically deniable.  Also, the warming is being driven largely by human activity.  I don't think this is scientifically deniable.
  2. What we do from a public policy perspective is very debatable, and that is a political conversation and not for pattern threads.
  3. Climate change is overused as an explanation for what are fairly normal shifts, for example decadal changes in things like the NAO or the EPO.  These sorts of shifts would be happening regardless regardless of global warming.  A particularly severe individual hurricane, for example,  shouldn't be explained as being because of climate change.
  4. Climate change can't be used to explain everything in weather.  Pretending that it isn't really happening is at least as ignorant.
  5. The impact of a warming climate on baseline climate norms and how that could affect forecasts, for example the ever-growing Hadley Cell that threatens to take over the world, is relevant to pattern discussion.  The notion that hurricanes have more heat energy to work with and thus the hurricane season might be longer and feature more severe hurricanes is relevant, because the warming oceans have more heat content with which to feed hurricanes.  TThis last bullet point represents the kind of content I think we should include in the pattern threads when warranted.  The prior 4 bullets just provoke political polarization.

Excellent post.  I’m curious if you wrote it or it is from somewhere else?

17 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Great post!! ..especially agree with the part I highlighted.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS a little closer. 6z EPS too. It is a lousy airmass though.

Yeah likely an interior special if it gets close enough....though if it can deepen fast enough, it could prob collapse the 900-05-mb layer back toward the coast, but that is a longshot.

26 minutes ago, WeatherWilly said:

Southern southern new england got their big storm thankfully but looks pretty bleak now with above average temps forecasted for the next several weeks.

uh...normal to below normal.  There might be 2 days of warmth in the next 10.  Maybe 3 days.  The next 10-15 days do not have a warm signal. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Around 60"  The hill towns around me average closer to 70"

NW MA is having a terrible winter.  Pathetic totals in the Berkshires.  Berkshire East is at 20" on the season, luckily it's been cold for snow making.

It has been an F- winter. That is a really low total for Berkshire East. Just from my own personal observation it seems like W.Mass hasn't had much in the way of the long lake effect streamers this winter.