Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

To heavy snow. A boundary that runs from Harrisonburg to DC and east. Temps go from low teens to low 60’s over a distance of 25 miles.

LOL

I'll say this....it would be cool if it happens, seems pretty unrealistic but it's not like it isn't or hasn't been advertised on a few models now. Fun to track and watch for now

14 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'll say this....it would be cool if it happens, seems pretty unrealistic but it's not like it isn't or hasn't been advertised on a few models now. Fun to track and watch for now

Reminds me of some of the great ice storms in 1994 where DC was in the low 20s and Richmond in the 60s

31 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

To heavy snow. A boundary that runs from Harrisonburg to DC and east. Temps go from low teens to low 60’s over a distance of 25 miles.

LOL

That is a strong push of cold on the back end of the wave as advertised. Problem is there isn't much precip left at that time(looking at the GEFS)and what tends to happen, as we well know, is the cold/dry air pushes in and there isn't much lift behind the front. Not to say that there wont be a brief period of sleet/snow at the end, but it looks as though we would need a bit of a second wave along the front to get anything significant.

eta- 6z GEFS does suggest several hours of freezing/frozen for some of the area. Trend. B)

5 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I am more interested in the wave the GFS is advertising for Sunday night into Monday. Has more promise? If I was a bit north I'd be giddy. Barely get a breather and here it comes again.

Ditto. ICON, Euro, and GFS have been off and on with this one. Going to depend on how the gradient plays out and how much energy ejects out of the West, if it is consolidated or sheared, NS CAA push, and timing of said boundaries/waves. But that's like every system...always dependent on the preceding system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Nope. It was the Christmas storm of 1776. Washington used the data to plan his crossing 

Legend has it dial-up was painstakingly slow at the time and they needed to utilize Paul Revere to hand deliver the Ukie maps. Is it true that "The British are Coming" was actually code for "The Ukie is honking"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Imgoinhungry said:

GFS has significant ice for areas NW starting around 6am.  Legit or no?  Dont think freezing rain will be an issue due to surface temps.  Sleet that melts on contact?

I see surface temps quickly dipping into the mid 20s on the GFS. In that case everything would stick no matter how warm it was prior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope the usual suspects don't get too bogged down with the over analysis of why it won't happen and perhaps spend a few minutes on how it possibly could happen....no harm in having a realistic level of positive analysis every once in awhile vs always saying "well historically it doesn't work out so F it so it won't happen now" and posting that every 10 minutes. Go play in the street if that's what you feel and let the positive vibes shine during our last month of winter......damn clowns

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I hope the usual suspects don't get too bogged down with the over analysis of why it won't happen and perhaps spend a few minutes on how it possibly could happen....no harm in having a realistic level of positive analysis every once in awhile vs always saying "well historically it doesn't work out so F it so it won't happen now" and posting that every 10 minutes. Go play in the street if that's what you feel and let the positive vibes shine during our last month of winter......damn clowns

Your plea for such sanity and optimism won't work here.  It almost never does.  Historically, we just don't do positive vibes for such rare sparks of reason.  I mean, you could go back to several years ago, but the setup for that run of sanity was not the same as this one.  Now, it's all despair and we don't fare well with those setups! :lol:

I'll see myself out into the street now!

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic