Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

7 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Violently  agree. It’s the long range version of the NAM.  And nobody start posting those GD score stats.  Idc

Well to be fair, those stats only tell how well each model does at predicting that there’s actually an atmosphere on this planet.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I hope the usual suspects don't get too bogged down with the over analysis of why it won't happen and perhaps spend a few minutes on how it possibly could happen....no harm in having a realistic level of positive analysis every once in awhile vs always saying "well historically it doesn't work out so F it so it won't happen now" and posting that every 10 minutes. Go play in the street if that's what you feel and let the positive vibes shine during our last month of winter......damn clowns

Personally, I think its a mistake to ignore how the front evolves in hopes of something more promising in the mid/long range. Thing is, the way that front orients itself and moves determines the "next" event. At the same time part of the front is starting to get that "draped" look instead of a giant hill. That can work here. Sure, not much time blah blah but it's one of our ways and you can't write it off until it's figured out universally 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Personally, I think its a mistake to ignore how the front evolves in hopes of something more promising in the mid/long range. Thing is, the way that front orients itself and moves determines the "next" event. At the same time part of the front is starting to get that "draped" look instead of a giant hill. That can work here. Sure, not much time blah blah but it's one of our ways and you can't write it off until it's figured out universally 

ICON and GFS are gradually evolving that front to more e/w IMO. 

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

A map or two woulda been awesome. Lol.

A temp map

With the 6 hour panels and no p-type maps, this is what can be gleaned- A handful of members have a coating of snow for parts of the region, thus the overall mean is 0.1 -0.2" for that period.

Up your way looking at surface and 850 temps, and the 6 hour precip panels, it is conceivable (per this run) you could see a few hours of freezing/frozen. Probably too much analysis for a mean at this range and given the brief period of opportunity as depicted. Big picture is it looks like the precip is exiting as the colder air comes in.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

ICON and GFS are gradually evolving that front to more e/w IMO. 

Haven't looked close so this could be bad analysis but it looked like both models are keying on a height press/hp pushing down on the top of the front. Wish it didn't have to move so far to make it interesting but cold air pressing downwards is a helluva lot better than pushing from the side 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Haven't looked close so this could be bad analysis but it looked like both models are keying on a height press/hp pushing down on the top of the front. Wish it didn't have to move to far but cold air pressing downwards is a helluva lot better than pushing from the side 

Yes. TPV in the Hudson Bay/Baffin area pressing more on the 6z GFS than previous runs. One run doesn’t make a trend, so let’s see how 12z does. 

• Like 2

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Yes. TPV in the Hudson Bay/Baffin area pressing more on the 6z GFS than previous runs. One run doesn’t make a trend, so let’s see how 12z does. 

Hard to envision enough time as is to get the mass of cold down far enough to do anything with precip mass. However, bend that front and stretch things a little and it could break down into 2 waves. Rain, drape, snow. Need that drape tho. Maybe 12z keeps going 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Hard to envision enough time as is to get the mass of cold down far enough to do anything with precip mass. However, bend that front and stretch things a little and it could break down into 2 waves. Rain, drape, snow. Need that drape tho. Maybe 12z keeps going 

I think this is what we need. A second wave to keep the precip going behind the front. Otherwise it mostly occurs in the warm sector then the cold comes in.

52 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Let's see if Randy can will this back for the 12z suite today.. GFS has maybe decided to take the charge. 

Off topic... no pun intended, but I took a gander at the off topic section of the forum. Safe to say I'm never going back. 

you weren't kidding.  it was tempting to contribute, but wisdom got the best of me lol.  these discussions often times just end up going down a rabbit hole.  fwiw, i'm kind of in the middle when it comes to "topics since early 2020".

back to the weather...the late weekend system is kind of doing what i was thinking would be the way to get something to work here and that's have a shortwave right on the heels of a cold shot.  500 looked a bit north, but looks like other opps thereafter.  this might be a good week to let the chips fall for thursday, focus on work/life, and regroup for the next phase of tracking.

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s a 75-100 mile push at 850. That’s not at all insignificant in this setup.

In this kind of setup, are we looking for the confluence to press a bit more and for the heights to decrease? I also assume we'd like to see that shortwave hold back a bit longer to allow the cold air to press before the energy ejects.

41 minutes ago, mattie g said:

In this kind of setup, are we looking for the confluence to press a bit more and for the heights to decrease? I also assume we'd like to see that shortwave hold back a bit longer to allow the cold air to press before the energy ejects.

I’m not necessarily a good source but yes I keep watching heights hoping for a decrease 

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

I think this is what we need. A second wave to keep the precip going behind the front. Otherwise it mostly occurs in the warm sector then the cold comes in.

The  06 GFS and 00 GEM is hinting at this scenario while the ECM makes a clean sweep.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic