Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, The Ole Bucket said:

I realize it's outside our geo, but taken at face value, that's an insane icestorm at the AR/MO/KY/TN borders. And really across a broad stretch of KY along I-64. Holy smokes.

Kentucky has had a few big ones, I remember the one in the early 2010's that was insane there. Crippled them. 

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

GFS gives me 9/10ths of an inch of ice, would be a devastating ice event if that happens. Heck even half of that amount would be a huge ice storm. 

While I don't agree fully  with a certain semi-interloper poster who comes in and shits on the mood of the forum regarding ice, I do think ice storm impacts are model overly aggressively.  That said, this would be a moderate ice storm for the area.

Just now, stormtracker said:

While I don't agree fully  with a certain semi-interloper poster who comes in and shits on the mood of the forum regarding ice, I do think ice storm impacts are model overly aggressively.  That said, this would be a moderate ice storm for the area.

As modeled that would accrete super well, especially NW but even in the cities. Temps in the mid/upper 20s and not coming down too hard. Sheesh.

1644008400-ocT1rGAPOF8.png

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Kentucky has had a few big ones, I remember the one in the early 2010's that was insane there. Crippled them. 

Yeah they really get the bad end of these kinds of events and are starting to really take it on the chin from tornadoes too.

Oh also, if this run of the GFS verifies, this would be the 2nd-largest single-storm snowfall in St. Louis history. Only surpassed by one in 1890.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Tends to happen, it has me get .6 inches of ice in 6 hours during the heavy precip which seems wrong, so that amount should not really be counted. After the precip becomes lighter and the temps drop is the more concerning period for me, and gives me around .3 to .4 more ice. So even discounting the heavy ice in the 30s it would still be quite the event.

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Can any met tell me any reason why we could get a mostly snow scenario out of this, or is this our "max" potential....a skating rink?  

Just a weenie but there's a bread and butter way here. Right now the drape is getting sweet but vertically, the cold literally has too much angle. Coldest air at the surface then lags as you go up. There is no reason right now to think its impossible to get the mids to cooperate. Gfs looks close enough for 3-4 days. No room to go backwards tho. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Talk about a low level cold air push. Northern tier goes below freezing a few hours before 6z friday. If there's any set up than can produce severe icing it's this one. We'll see.

the last severe ice we had was early Feb 2014 before the bigger storm mid-month. About a quarter inch or so at my place, power out for a day or two. Tons of tree damage. 

Ill pass lol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Not quite a foot of ice but an inch would work for some free entertainment 

You've been harping on the front alignment, and you can't hate what the GFS is doing. IF, and its a big if, it continues moving like it has the last 4-5 runs, there is definitely the potential to get some snow in the party with this one. Parts of the precip are falling into low-mid 20's air, would be a really nasty icing event verbatim. A 1-2 punch would help the snow piece. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic