Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So the question becomes - will the pattern support an adjustment east with the LP?

With so many moving parts/variables....I ask you or others....why not?  I get the whole east west ridge trough thingy, its been used as a tool for decades, but if it were that easy, we'd have nothing to chat about.  Furthermore, we're not asking for 500 miles of moving here, were looking for 50-100 that makes a huge difference in our backyards....so yeah I say why not. 

Lastly, as I've done for some time, I put my thoughts out and follow them up w/ my logic/reasoning, and I don't wait to jump on any bandwagons or to make sure I'm right.  Thats not my jam or why I'm' here.  Right or wrong, I hope peeps that read my garble know that I'm not afraid to jump on something.  After all...as weenies, that's what the fun of forecasting is isn't it? 

Now for more fun....off to the dentist.    

23 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

With so many moving parts/variables....I ask you or others....why not?  I get the whole east west ridge trough thingy, its been used as a tool for decades, but if it were that easy, we'd have nothing to chat about.  Furthermore, we're not asking for 500 miles of moving here, were looking for 50-100 that makes a huge difference in our backyards....so yeah I say why not. 

Lastly, as I've done for some time, I put my thoughts out and follow them up w/ my logic/reasoning, and I don't wait to jump on any bandwagons or to make sure I'm right.  Thats not my jam or why I'm' here.  Right or wrong, I hope peeps that read my garble know that I'm not afraid to jump on something.  After all...as weenies, that's what the fun of forecasting is isn't it? 

Now for more fun....off to the dentist.    

Fair questions and valid points. I guess what I'm looking for is what will cause the ridge axis to shift into a favorable position? 

Just posted by psuHoffman in MA.  One of a handful of posters there who I pay attention to:

I think we’re still in the game for a very significant storm but I don’t think this has HECS 20”+ potential for 95.  I don’t think anyone is expecting that. We have a -NAO but not a true block. 95 really does need a classic block usually to get those storms. Also what’s going on across Canada isn’t ideal for those hecs storms. The trough amplifying there will pull this north. To get a hecs we typically want the storm cut off from the NS there and higher pressure over the top. That’s when we get a storm to crawl to off the Delmarva then slide ENE. 

This is going to lift north pretty sharply. This will be a storm that runs the coast. Kinda old school, these used to be way more common than recently. And they can be pretty good but not 20” good in DC usually.  The key will be how far southeast we can get the H5 before it gets captured and lifts north and how much resistance the cold can make to get a really nice WAA thump.  Any deform is bonus. The 2014 storm was this type. One of the 1987 storms was and worked out to like 10” in DC. There was a similar storm to this evolution in 66 that was good in DC. There are also examples where this can go wrong if the h5 gets captured too soon. That’s why faster is better. Get it into the southeast before the trough amplified and it lifts.  There were 2 storms in 1994 that remind me of this also.  Early January and one in early March. Those were more ehh with like 2-4 in DC and a lot more west.